PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell us what this is ?

trevs
04-04-2005, 12:43 PM
Hi all,

This fish was caught lastnight at mud island, anyways it has a red throat. Not sure wether it is a red emperor or not. Anyone that can help with this we would appreciate it

Trev

philip_thomson
04-04-2005, 01:01 PM
i think that is a morwong or a slate bream there
not the worlds greatest eating fish. i know alot of people will not touch them however i think they are quite nice.
eat it and see how it is.

hope u enjoy it cheers phil

Dignity
04-04-2005, 01:21 PM
I also thought it was a morwong - picture of whole fish would have confirmed it although the bluber lips are a pretty good give away. This fish is often refered to as the Mother in Law fish ie give away to MIL. It is a fish that is relatively soft and can be quite mushy if not bled and put on ice very quickly and also must be cooked just right - 15 seconds either way and it is not good.

BTW - did you keep it in the hope it was edible or did you take a pic and let it go. (hint - the latter otherwise watch out for the recriminations from members on this site).

mackmauler
04-04-2005, 01:57 PM
A red emperor :o thats like sayin she looked good last night but when I woke up........ :-X ;D

Maria
04-04-2005, 02:25 PM
Lmao Rob. Yep...Mother in Law. Spearos target practise...or so I've heard ::)

michael_Brewer
04-04-2005, 02:56 PM
ROFLMTO

you bastards!! ;D ;D ;D

trout3030
04-04-2005, 03:54 PM
Another blackall. Bigger this time though.

agnes_jack
05-04-2005, 12:02 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D
Rob, your a classic mate!!
I think I would chew me arm off for sure if I woke up next to that one!! :o

Regards, Tony ;D ;D ;D ;D

rusco
05-04-2005, 12:59 PM
IF you really have to eat the mowie...Soak in milk overnight and you should get a reasonable tasting fillet for what its worth. Put the milk down the sink dont give it to the cat..Cant remember why ,but why take a chance?
Rusco 8)

Big_Kev
06-04-2005, 04:33 PM
A red emperor :o thats like sayin she looked good last night but when I woke up........ :-X ;D

RAFLMAO.
At least we now know what you are doing when you are not fishing Rob.

And Rusco you can give the milk to the Cat, honest I love cats, they make good crab bait.

Big_Kev
06-04-2005, 04:34 PM
And I would go for the Morwong call as well from what I can see with that pic.