PDA

View Full Version : Take ya rubbish with ya

megan
05-04-2005, 08:42 AM
Was fishing out of Shellharbour on the weekend and was at the cleaning tables (which are right on the waters edge) and looked down to see 2 Pilchard Block plastic bags sitting there. On the way back up to the boat I picked up an aliminium can and another plastic bag.

It's not too hard to take your rubbish to a bin nearby or take it home with you and dispose of it properly. Where do you think the bags will end up if you just leave them there? The bin at the ramp is about 15metres away! Come on everyone - take ya rubbish with ya.

Graham_N_Roberts
05-04-2005, 09:38 AM
:-/ I have to agree with you fish_a_holic.

When ever I go fishin' at my local impoundment, or to the bank of the Fitzroy, the areas of the Capricorn coast and even the shores of Lake Moondara in the Isa ... I see the same thing. Piles of rubbish that some lazy morons leave behind. Fair dinkum ... these low life idiots can't really like fishing, or else they wouldn't destroy the waterways with their crap.

Come on fisho's ... ya can muster up the energy to take it to the water with ya ... ya can surely take it home with ya. ??? The main reason why a lot of marinas and other areas are closed to fishing is this sort of idiotic behaviour. Do you understand ... comprehend ??? ??? ::) ::)

A bloke has gotta wonder if these peoples homes are in the same state.

finga64
05-04-2005, 12:14 PM
Dido to the above..
Maybe the people leaving the c-ap behind wouldn't do it if they got a plastic pilly bag caught around the water intake on the motor. There are lots of better reasons for not leaving rubbish, but sometimes narrow minded people only start thinking when there's a dint left in their hip pocket... morrons #>:(

Y-Not
06-04-2005, 05:49 AM
Its bad enough at the ramps and bankside parks etc without what the idiots do/leave around the various bay and jumpinpin area islands. Things like shoving cartons of beer bottles under exposed tree roots to break and move out into the water after boat wakes & high tides etc. I am not against anyone having a drink while boating but responsible drinking also includes disposal of your OWN rubbish!!!!!!!! # Dont leave it for others. >:( #Some of us like to take our kids boating and pull up to a nice sandy beach for a picnic and a play. It would be nicer without having to worry about all the broken bottles left behind by thoughtless morrons. If there was room in the boat to take them out then there is room to take them home again.!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:( >:(

Remo
06-04-2005, 11:54 AM
I think the worst place I have come across is the causeway at yeppoon. Bait bags and drink bottles left everywhere. I can say definetly that the locals are not to blame as they all travel very light and catch there own live bait.

Boxhead
06-04-2005, 02:34 PM
Scumbags are always gunna leave rubbish lying around. We need to convince the bait processors, bread processors, etc.. to package the stuff in biodegradable packaging.

McDonalds had to change from the polystyreen to paper, why can't these companies change... What a marketing tool that would be!!

Nath...

steve28
06-04-2005, 05:30 PM
Ditto to all before. It's a sad day when you can't walk bare foot on some beaches for fear of stepping on broken glass. Was at Moon Pt, Fraser Is. a while ago - our small camping area was littered with broken glass mostly hidden in the sand. Broken glass is like a land mine. Bloody dangerous for years afterwards. Picked up about fifty large pieces over two days. Luckily it was so bad it was obvious at the start so put the thongs on straight away. The place used to be pristine years ago.

Damn fools that do this need to be made to walk on the stuff - let them know what the potential of their action is.

saphire
06-04-2005, 05:43 PM
There are laws that prohibit throwing of rubbish into the waterways and on land. Seeing this happen makes me angry. On Sunday I saw that some idiot dumped a car and set it alight near the boat ramp at the end of Alberton Steet on the Logan River. This is across from the Cable Ski ramp. That and other junk in the river is such a disgrace and effects us all.
I agree with fish a holic. Keep our waterways clean and safe for everyone.
Happy fishing,
saphire [smiley=balloon3.gif]

Girella
07-04-2005, 03:48 AM
From what of seen and read, I think the majority of users of this site are careful when it comes to disposing of rubbish and preserving their fishing spots.

But the awful truth is that any popular fishing spot that you go to will be an environmental pig sty.

It's not hard to work out why environmentalists have a problem with fishing.

We need to literally clean up our own back yard if where to put a successful case for sustainable fishing.

daybreak
07-04-2005, 04:16 AM
G'day all,
# # # # # # I believe one of the many benefits to introducing a fishing license in QLD would be that these idiots with the mentality to leave their rubbish lying around instead of using a bin or carrying it back out would also be the same people who would not pay for a license. You know the type of grub i'am talking about. Just to get sidetracked for a minute, if the revenue was used similar to the southern states, we may be able to buy out some pro's and have some recreational only area's in Qld. Just look at how well #some rec only systems are fishing down south. Perhaps we all need to look into the fishing party(which i'am not affiliated with, i'am not trying to promote anyone or anything). #Think of what we can do for our sport next election. Sorry if i sound like i'am preaching, i would just like to see the fishing and environment go back to what i hear it was fifty years ago. #

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # regards

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # Andrew

el_carpo
07-04-2005, 07:16 AM
I agree 100 percent. I always take a small trash bag with me when I fish to pick up after the slobs. It burns me up to do it, but it's better than leaving it all there for some animal to get tangled up in and die. Also, when people see me doing it, it lets them know that not all fishermen and women are PIGS and that many of us do care about the environment. It just makes you sick seeing a fisherperson throw trash around. I don't get it. I really can't see how anyone who fishes could do that. That's why we fish! To get away from the mess of civilization and enjoy the great outdoors. Why would they bring the mess with them? CRAZY!!! >:(

E.C.

megan
07-04-2005, 08:42 AM
I think it is even more dissapointing when you can see the effects of rubbish laying around. Last Saturday (when I was picking up rubbish) I saw a large pelican with a hook in it's leg followed by a length of fishing line and a swivell at the end. The bird could hardle walk and when it stood it was only on one leg. It may be just a little insignificant piece of rubbish for YOU but it can mean death for wildlife. :(