PDA

View Full Version : Redland Ramp Carpark - Part 2

Volvo
17-01-2005, 07:57 PM
:)Okay i'll carry on the debate if allowed and will explain why a tad later.
First i'll sidetrack a little by explaining how God made the first two people on this planet to be one Turk and One Greek ;)..
Anyone who knows a little history between the Turks n Greeks know that they've near always been at each others throats n no love lost between the two #:(..
One day the Greek gets a tad sick n tired of all the fightin and asks for permission ta have a yak with the fella up top.
Gets his request granted and fronts up to the one allmighty.
Sez "God , me n this Turk ya know we is always Fightin and its gettin a bit annoyin it is!! >:(..reckon you can do sumthin about it??"..
So God made another Greek n the Greeks spent their time fightin among each other n left the Turk alone..
Moral to this story if ya think about it:)...
All Fisho's here yet we spent so much time wasting our energy among each other rather than those who would n do intend #wreckin a good passtime of ours..
I'm with Gary all the way even if there aint no intended conspiracy or whatever for the following reason..
Been a resident here in Gladstone now since 1980 and when first set foot in the place there was so much area allowable for a bloke,kid, father n Son or a whole familly to go Fishing if they werent privvy to owning a Boat..
One of the Wharves "Aukland Point" was opent to public to Fish and Dilly for Prawns most times and how many a night was spent by famillies on that Wharf chasing Fish and Prawns one only knows who was there then and privillaged to have enjoyed those days..
An opportunity for the passtime to be adopted and enjoyed :) ;)..
Along comes "Workplace Health N Safety".
Goodbye Aukland Point Wharfe :(..Who could rightfully argue..But got rid of all them peoples off the Wharfe didnt it..
So did squite a few areas along the bund Wall which were previousely allowable..
Up went the fences, keep people from getting too close to the other Wharfes..
What areas werent or arent closed one needs to be a Billy Goat to clamber down..
I'll leave that part right there and go no further ..Point is there is always ways to move people on if need be..
I look with envy at Towns around the Country which supply the Boaties not only good Ramp facillities but also Boarding pontoons for loading and offloading personal with safety and anyone who knows the main ramp here at Gladstone knows the need for one badly..
Have spent many a year up the Councils #acehole tryin to get one and wont bore you with their excuses but do know the main reason for the "Sorry but not right now".
Our Fisahing as we know it now is at Risk , make no mistake about it!!..There are those out there working hard to reduce our activities in more ways tan one....Been all said before anyway so better stop n get off my Soapbox before i bust a poofle valve :-X..
Gary if you have time please email me a short note of how an out of Towner can write an objection..
Cheers

Derek Bullock
17-01-2005, 09:50 PM
The original of this post can be found at http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/board/YaBB.cgi?board=General;action=display;num=11053143 17

It started with the following by Gary.

Cheers

Derek

My two boys need your help. You see by the time they get to my age there will be stuff all fishing allowed anymore. They won’t be able to take out their kids - unless you help them out today.

They need your submission directly to Redland Shire Council. Last week letters went to Transport Minister Etc

All it takes is a letter or an email. IF there is enough we can start to stop or slow down the anti – fishing movement out there. This Redlands Ramp issue is the best opportunity to show we will not just lie down.

So even if you have never written a letter in your life - on behalf of my kids – who both love fishing, I am begging you to write one today - and get 4 other mates to write one too.

Yes it will be a nuisance - it will take maybe 15 minutes or so. We will make up for it we will come and wash your car or mow your lawn to make up for it if you want. Even if it takes us all year.

If not for my kids - for some kid you know?

It is important that everyone writes their own letter - that they all look different. I will give some drafts to help you. Email me if you want me to help check or write it

Send them to

Project Delivery Group,
RSC, PO Box 21, Cleveland Qld 4163; or

Email your comments to rsc@redland.qld.gov.au putting Weinam Creek in the subject line.

gif
21-01-2005, 03:44 AM
This ( extended) submission date is Friday - Tomorrow

You would have to send letters by express post or hand delivered

Post your letters to
Project Delivery Group
Redland Shire Council
PO Box 21
Cleveland 4163

Late letters can me emailed to

rsc@redland.qld.gov.au you MUST put “Weinam Creek” in the subject line.

Further details are at http://www.redland.qld.gov.au/have_your_say.cfm

All it needs is a sentence or two saying its not right or fair to take away trailers parks - when the minimum should be 90 spaces.

And something about boating and fishing being important to your family or to Australians life style.

My submission ended up at 23 pages. Email me at g.fooks@uq.net.au if you would like a copy ( don’t PM)

Gary
0412 111 573
]

gif
21-01-2005, 03:52 AM
In all this I heard from a Group of Fishing Clubs in NSW #- Shellharbour.

Their Council closed of a ramp – supposedly because hoons were using the car park. # (instead of improving the Policing)

They wrote letters etc. with some effect.

In the end they had the benefit of an election #- they found out which candidate supported them and thus who they would recommend and who they would not #- and placed a few adds and told the press.

When the Mayor lost her job – she stated it was because of the fishing lobby over the boat ramp issue. # #I am getting a copy of the newspaper item sent to me and have seen all teh adds and press releases.

So as long as you guys are prepared to put in a bit of effort you can make #a difference, and not just be walked over.

Gary

( PS – the boat ramp is back open)

gunna
22-01-2005, 04:09 AM
Just wondering what the next step will be with this Gary. When will we know if the council has paid any attention to the protest mail - or even the number of mails they got ?? They certainly didn't have the decency to even respond to acknowledge they received mine. That would be common curtesy.

sharkbait
22-01-2005, 04:30 AM
Yes no response for me either.

The email i sent to the minister (Paul Lucas) was acknowledged by one of his underlings but was not actually responded to - just something along the lines of "the minister has received your mail and will look into it" ...

be interesting to know if they bothered to reply to anyone.

Cheers,

Kris.

gif
22-01-2005, 04:31 AM
1 step ahead

They have not acknowledged many of mine either. But then you see a press release reflecting what you wrote about - thats teh real test.

For example we saw the time extended by a week after my letters - but they never told me.

I have an FOI application in that has asked for a copy of every submission - so I can do my own summary and report on the submissions

Call me any time for an update 0412 111 573 but I will post here at key times

Gary

subzero
22-01-2005, 12:58 PM
I didnt recieve any aknowledgement either, but to be honest, nor did I expect one.
As a member of the public voicing disdain at their performance unless it is an autoresponder most wouldnt bother.
Only the good Public Servants will take the time to aknowledge reciept of your e-mail especially if it differs from their own opinion.
Cheers Lloyd

MulletMan
22-01-2005, 01:32 PM
Unless I have missed it in a previous post........ why hasn't anybody approached Coastguard Redland Bay for some support on this issue? We at VMR Vicky Point have worked with the Redlands Council for years on our facilities and have recently not only bagged the floating jetty but have also had an overflow trailer park made available for when the normal bays are full - maybe another 50 or 100 cars! There are major redevelopment plans under way for Victoria Point and I go along to all the meetings, fight like hell for every inch or parking space and we have an excellent relationship with the Councillors and Council who generally speaking do a top class job in our patch of turf! The rescue units that reside at the various ramps are the ones who can really assist you guys on this - maybe it is too late!

gif
22-01-2005, 01:41 PM
I tried getting local involvement - from fishing clubs etc

It was slow

I tried calling for a public meeting - no takers

The phone number outside the rescue building at Weiman is no longer working.

Its not to late - sumbissions officially clsoe today - so email by midnight?

There is a notice of parking changes sign stuck to the fence at Rescue ( 1200 x 2400) so they must be aware

Write to them and the Mayor by Monday morning and it should be heard

Can you help out - even if its only a brief letter or email ?
Gary

Derek Bullock
07-02-2005, 04:25 PM
Hi all

Do we have an update/outcome on this.

Derek

gif
07-02-2005, 09:12 PM
can you ask? they're not talking to me We have gone into FOI bunker mode

Gary

skippa
08-02-2005, 03:51 PM
In the Redlands local paper recently it was reported, that some of the surrounding streets of the Marina/ramp area is awaiting to be rezoned to allow multi story dwellings, up to 5 stories.

Would those houses with 'private carparks' in these streets suddenly become more valuable with developer eyes casting over them? If these lots were to be developed what would become of the cars which are usually parked here? Since they are mainly island cars, would this put extra pressure on the council (public) car park in this area? Would council have thought if this?

Would this be the reason that council is so hell bent on removing boat/trailer spaces to make room for the need of more island spaces?

Time will tell, unlike the RSC.

Cheers,
Tony

Derek Bullock
08-02-2005, 04:09 PM
Would this be the reason that council is so hell bent on removing boat/trailer spaces to make room for the need of more island spaces?

I reckon if this was an exam you would get 10 out of 10 for that. I reckon that is exactly what was on their minds.

Derek

gif
08-02-2005, 04:28 PM
I did call today.

Apparently the team reviewing the public submissions will report to the CEO tomorrow. And after that the Mayor and Councillors will hear.

So I wonder how this fits with the planes to start construction in February. They stated that on the public submission document!

Gary

gif
11-02-2005, 08:54 AM
10 February 2005

Our Ref: Weinam Ck Carpark/41472

File No: EDMS Project 41472

Gary Fooks

g.fooks@uq.net.au

Dear Gary Fooks

Re: Weinam Creek Ferry Terminal Proposed Car Park Upgrade

Thank you very much for your submission in relation to the Weinam Creek Ferry Terminal Proposed Car Park Upgrade.

Your submission will be considered along with all other correspondence/information on this matter and Council’s final decision will be made public through the local media, display board at Weinam Creek Ferry Terminal and the Redland Shire Council website.

Yours faithfully

Lex Smith

Manager, Project Delivery Group

nonibbles
11-02-2005, 09:43 AM
nice personal touch there ::)

Derek Bullock
11-02-2005, 09:47 AM
Dont know about personal touch. Whats the bet its the same standard response to everyone.

Derek

gif
11-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Yes its a form letter - thats OK has to be done.

I did get the courtesy of a personal call in response to my call - that was a big tick for RSC

It seems that a revised "shopping list" ( to be non technical) will be taken to the Abbey Group (construction) next week. Abbey will take a week or so to respond with revised pricing. Assuming pricing is OK it will be another 2 to 3 weeks before it goes out in newspapers and the RSC website.

At that stage it is a done deal - and short of chaining yourself to Bulldozer you wont slow it down. ( not recommended – a D9 takes a long time to rust and fall off)

I got no clues as to the results of the submissions. There was some clear divisions between island residents and boaties and some interesting submissions like those who wanted a beach.

There seemed to be more that one who asked for a multi stores car park (mine too, including boat storage facility that would raise revenue) but reading betwwen the lines there are no plans to increase the budget - thus no chance for a more expensive carpark being considered)

Several also suggested that there be multi use spaces - car/trailer on weekend and 2 cars during the week. That idea may get a run.

Let me know if you hear any more.

Gary

Gazza
11-02-2005, 12:03 PM
Slightly different perspective Gary....
Maintaining "availability/access" of however many boat/trailer spots eventuate.
Noticed a sign, up north, that had a $30 fine for any car(only) parking in boat/trailer spots.

subzero
11-02-2005, 12:38 PM
Yep form letter, heres mine

10 February 2005

Our Ref: Weinam Ck Carpark/41472

File No: EDMS Project 41472

Lloyd Finn

lloyd@vmr.org.au

Dear Lloyd Finn

Re: Weinam Creek Ferry Terminal Proposed Car Park Upgrade

Thank you very much for your submission in relation to the Weinam Creek Ferry Terminal Proposed Car Park Upgrade.

Your submission will be considered along with all other correspondence/information on this matter and Council’s final decision will be made public through the local media, display board at Weinam Creek Ferry Terminal and the Redland Shire Council website.

Yours faithfully

Lex Smith

Manager, Project Delivery Group

nonibbles
11-02-2005, 03:04 PM
Townsville coast guard have a similar setup as the one that suggested normal parking for all except between 6am and 6pm weekends and public holidays when it is trailer parking only. #Seems to work fine during the week except some people do park right in the middle of the bays that line the boundaries to avoid being parked in. #Doesn't look pretty but can't complain if rest of carpark vacant during the week. #But come the weekend we're still fighting for a park because like you we don't have enough spaces for the ever increasing boating population. #I wish I can help abit more than moral support. #Who knows, if the townsville port upgrade occurs we may be fighting a similar battle for spaces and may need your (hopefully) successful outcome as a precedent.

Derek Bullock
23-02-2005, 02:22 PM
WHAT HAPPENED ??? ??? ??? ???

gif
24-02-2005, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the bump

... but I promise I had not forgotten. To the credit of one particular senior RSC manager I will get a 30 minute meeting / discussion. I am out of town so the first opportunity for us both is Monday afternoon.

So I will let you know what I can on Monday night.

Gary

PS If I am never seen again please take my boys fishing every now and then.

gif
03-03-2005, 01:49 PM
I just had a courtesy of a meeting with Redland Shire Council staff. # ( today not Monday as first planned) .

Origionally there were 111 Cart- Trailer spaces. # ( CTU’s) # #that goes back some years. # #I could never find out when and how but many of these were lost to secure parking. # #The locals know but it seems it did not go through Coundil and no one protested. # I could be wrong.

In any case right now we are down to 77 CTU’s.

I saw the latest plan #which is as final as Council staff #can make it - # this plan goes to the Construction company who will get out there rulers and may change something to conform to code etc.

So – baring any major changes by the construction firm we will end up with (as I saw today)

73 CTU’s
2 Rigging areas that can fit about 5 CTU’s

There is also a compromise I proposed that will see a fish cleaning table constructed. # This will need to be funds raised by the local fishing club # - but no raffles – just an application to the grants from Qld Govt for fishing #facilities. # #If some local clubs will get involved then I will help write up all the submission document.

Council will then maintain it #- electricity, water etc. # #I said if Council gave us a lot more that the 56 they had first planned then we would get this table up for the community. #So Local fishing clubs – will you be in it?

OK it will not be perfect. # To squeeze in the extra spaces will mean a lot more $. #They have to open a new entrance an cover more grass. # # The turning circle at the top of the ramp is enhanced but within the car park there are some tight spots #- and some times you will need to go right around to get that last parking space. # # #I reckon that’s a small price to pay for almost no loss in the number of spaces.

So if someone whinges in future about tight turning circles ... #remind then it could have been worse.

Any questions guys?

Gary Fooks
0412 111 573

Derek Bullock
03-03-2005, 01:59 PM
Gary

Does 73 meet the Govt guidelines for the number of parks for that size boat ramp. I think that was one of the arguements.

Derek

gif
03-03-2005, 03:06 PM
no it does not should be 90

Transport calls it an A because itis 4 wide. RSC says it doe not have all the otehr features therefore it is not an A

The arguement went around in circles for days - with RSC saying " Ok we declare it a b grade"

skippa
03-03-2005, 03:16 PM
G'day Gary,

It may not be 'perfect' but that sounds a lot better than the original plan. As a 'local' I'd like to thank you for your efforts to help out fellow fishers.

Cheers,
Tony 8)

subzero
03-03-2005, 04:03 PM
Good call Skippa, for sure
Thanks Gary, and of course that goe's to the rest of the troops you managed to rally also.
Sometimes people feel that beuracrats can not be swayed, a concerted effort from even a loose group of people such as Ausfish can hold bargaining power at the table. These people want to keep their job's come next ellections, if they feel their ill thought out choices are going to upset possible voters, they will re-consider their options.
A win for common sense, and a win for the boating public.
Cheers Lloyd

kc
03-03-2005, 07:37 PM
Well done Gary,

I know you personally put a lot of wok into this and it was too far away from TFPQ membership base for us to do anything but write a few annoying letters.

Your efforts are an example for anyone that we can get better outcomes with a combination of good submissions and community suppport for those submissions by way of letters and lobbying.

Well done again....now on to our GSS submission...you don't really need sleep do you??

KC

Derek Bullock
04-03-2005, 09:46 AM
Interesting that there is no longer a link to this project on the Redland Shire Council website.

http://203.18.196.55/major_works.cfm?doc_id=1918

Derek

gif
04-03-2005, 09:56 AM
Thanks everyone

I think it was a real win #- or will be soon.

Can anyone help me contact the local fishing club(s) # I cant find my file notes.

Gary
0412 111 573

gif
14-03-2005, 01:59 AM
The plans that I saw went to the construction firm for final final checking

It seesm to have come back unchanged and went to Council committee last week.

I was expecting a copy in the mail - maybe Monday

Next it goes to full Council - come along and listen if you like.

I seem to recall it will be this week - 16th but i will verify

Gary

gunna
08-04-2005, 03:06 PM
Any more news on this one Gary? I need to know whether I should plan any more boating holidays to the Redland Shire [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]. I think my letter from Sydney shook them up ;D ;D ;D