PDA

View Full Version : best snapper line

Brenno
05-04-2005, 10:52 AM
I’ve just bought a Okuma Epix EB40 baitrunner to use on the snapper and I was wonder what would be the best type of line to use with it?

Was thinking of 14lb fire line with leader of about the same size or would this be to heavy

Thanks

Mark

snappa
05-04-2005, 12:53 PM
;D
if ya take me fishing...
i will tell ya..... ::)

Willo
05-04-2005, 01:29 PM
Yeah Brenno
For snapper fishing I use 15lb Platypus Super -100 one of the thinnest Dia Monos around.A bit more $$$ than other stuff but worth it

SeaSaw
05-04-2005, 02:57 PM
I run 10kg Mono on my baitrunner, and at times you need every bit of 10kg and I sometimes think of going up to 15kg, but have resisted the temptation. ;) I guess it depends how quickly you want to be able to turn the fish's head (improtant if you are in very rough country) and if you expect to get any bigger critters, but 14lb braid would be a minimum for a decent snapper. If you are going to go with Braid, I would be more inclined to go for 20 or 30lb as it already has a small diameter, which is great for floating baits.

Cheers,

Mark

-spiro-
06-04-2005, 03:30 AM
go the braid!

Jeremy
06-04-2005, 03:58 AM
go the mono, the stretch will act if your favour to reduce the number of hooks you pull.

Really, the question is whether you will be floatlining in 'shallow' water, or bottom bashing in deeper water. I believe the real advantages of braid are for bottom bashing in deep water due to the thinner diameter.

For floatlining, I'd go with Mark's suggestion of 10 kg mono. Use a leader of around 40 lb mono.

Jeremy

Anne-T-Dote
06-04-2005, 04:15 AM
Jeremy, I couldn't agree with you more.

Mark,

For bait fishing: Mono for a floater rig in all water depths, mono for bottom bashing in shallow water and braided or fused line only for deep water bottom bashing. For soft plastics: ALWAYS a braided or fused line.

For bottom bashing deep water (bait fishing), braid or fused is great in that you can feel so much more, but REMEMBER this - to every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, which means that the fish can feel YOU even more. So for a floater rig for those very finnicky fish (like snapper sometimes are) your best bet is to stay with mono.

I try and use high stretch mono in shallow water and low stretch in deeper water. If you're planning on doing a bit of both, I'd be going for lower stretch, cause low stretch is easier to adapt to shallow water than high stretch is to deep water.

Hope this helps - probably sounds a bit confusing. By the way - this is all just MY opinion and is probably very different to a lot of other people's opinions, but it works for me. Hope it does for you too. Good luck with the snapper.

Cheers,

Macca

Jeremy
06-04-2005, 07:12 AM
another great reason for using mono....only pretest lines are eligible for ANSA masters fish, comps and records ;D.

At present only mono lines are available in pretest, but I have heard that there will be some braid available in pretest before much longer.

Jeremy

caloundra
06-04-2005, 11:25 AM
when floating baits out the mono will float higher up (in your burley trail) as it is thicker . where as braid is thinner and has less resistance in the water and will sit further down

Daniel

Brenno
07-04-2005, 09:32 AM
going on your replies i gather that mono in the 10lb to 15lb would be best. would maxima be alright?

as i have a second spool would 15lb fireline be a good choice for this?

Jeremy
07-04-2005, 10:06 AM
you'd be game to use 10 lb mono, not that it can't be done. Mark suggested 10 kg (ie 22 lb) mono, and I agreed with him there.

I haven't used maxima for yours. I seem to remember that it has good abrasion resistance. Should be OK.

I would have thought 15 lb fireline would be OK on your second spool. It would probably break higher than 10 kg anyway.

Jeremy

mackmauler
07-04-2005, 10:15 AM
Im with Jeremy, 10lb very game, dont worry about the snapper its the ajs and cobes even billies that jump on between snapper.

Brenno
07-04-2005, 10:22 AM
sorry i ment the 10kg not 10lb

what other line choice for mono?

Brenno
09-04-2005, 08:54 AM
looks like i'll be going the 20lb maxima for one spool

i'll put fireline on the other spool, but the fire lines i've seen only come in 125yds lenghts, what would be the best line to use as backing 20lb mono or something bigger?
should it be a better quality line or just something cheap?

bignick
09-04-2005, 11:45 AM
20-25 pound Shogun Pro-Red Mono. It's tough, thin and has just the right amount of stretch. And it's a bit easier to handle and not as hard on the hip pocket.

Cheers,
NICK.