PDA

View Full Version : The .05 limit when boating

MulletMan
07-04-2005, 05:21 AM
At a Skippers meeting last night at VMR Vicky Point, we had two of the the Water Police guys come along to act as our Liaison Officers and we bought up the subject of how they interpret the legislation for having a few drinks on board your boat. Although I haven't found the actual legislation, they told us that it clearly states that "drinking whilst NAVIGATING a vessel............" means that if you are anchored up then you are not deemed to be navigating and therefore the .05 does NOT apply to you. If you are over the limit whilst anchored, pull the pick up and then head off somewhere, then of course you are now navigating and can be pulled over and charged accordingly. This marine legislation is completely different to driving a vehicle where if you pull over and have a sleep whilst over the .05 then you can still be charged!!! Maybe somebody with time on their hands can find this actual bit of legislation to confirm the "navigating" wording..........

mini696
07-04-2005, 06:16 AM
From the RTA site -

"Blood alcohol limit

The blood alcohol concentration (BAC) limit for recreational boat operators and PWC operators under 21 years of age is 0.00mg/100 ml. For all other operators the BAC limit must be under 0.05mg/100 ml."

Try here - http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/marine/extract_harb_nav_act1993.pdf

And here - http://www.findlaw.com.au/Legislation/docs/36878.doc
Says absolutely nothing about a blood alcohol limit.

I found this interesting (but it is nearly 14 years old)
http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/parlment/hansart.nsf/V3Key/LC19911211007

Mick

PS As usual its difficult to find the laws when we are interested in finding out about them. And when we cant find them , and then get caught by the Police, we cant use the "ignorance" excuse. Or we interprete them in a different way to the cops. I hate the system. [smiley=thumbsdown.gif]

Bosunsmate
07-04-2005, 08:37 AM
Just pulled this off the Qld Transport site......

" Safety - Alcohol rules
Recreational ships
The skipper must have a blood alcohol limit of less than 0.05, the same rules as on the road. The skipper is also responsible for the safety of the passengers and should be responsible for their alcohol consumption. The effects of alcohol are enhanced while on the water due to the sun, wind, waves and constant motion. Reflexes and response times to emergencies are slowed and swimming ability deteriorates considerably.

Skippers of recreational boats should also be aware that, when their boat is anchored, it may still be considered to be used for navigation, and the blood alcohol limit applies. The limit does not change unless the boat is securely moored in a marina, to a jetty or wharf or on a swing mooring."

Pretty much sums it up for me....unless you're tied off to a mooring or marina any stiff face young H2O coppa can book you for DUI if your over .05.

Kerry
07-04-2005, 02:38 PM
This one has always been a bit of a misconception and obviously not even the water police have a consistent understanding or application of it, does appear they have individual interpretations.

If there's a possible intent then that is generally enough and especially if one is simply anchored as opposed to moored as one should always assume that when anchored for some unknown reason there could be a requirement to up anchor (at anytime) and move be it weather or for whatever reason.

Skippers should adopt the 8 hours bottle to throttle policy.

Cheers, Kerry.

Dug
07-04-2005, 04:10 PM
Individual officers may interpret the law differently.

My information was that it is "being in charge of a vehicle" that is the problem.

Moving or stationary you are still in charge of the vehicle and therefore responsible.

subzero
07-04-2005, 06:25 PM
I have just spent the last couple of hours reading the legislation regarding alcohol on all forms of transport including boats, non powered transport etc and it is extremely wide open to interpretation. The legislation appears to have been written that way intentionaly.
The act basicaly says that you are in control of your vehicle if an Official reasonably decides that you are. Surprisingly this includes if you are within 3 metres of your vehicle, you dont have to actualy be in it.
This document outlines proceedures, rights, methods, arrest, confiscation and a whole raft of other interesting info.
Not light reading, 302 pages, it is downloadable and printable but for any bush lawyer out their who has the time, a good study of the Act in it's entirety will clear things up to a certain degree. Unfortunately you can not just look at the BAC section alone as definitions based in other sections on the vehicles can clarify or muddy the waters. This is why solicitors make the big bucks looking for loopholes in the legislation.
Good luck, my OPINION is drink on a boat and go over the limit and you are a bloody fool, anchored or not.
Heres the link to the legislation.
http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/T/TrantOpRUA95.pdf
Cheers Lloyd

subzero
07-04-2005, 06:34 PM
By the way, please be aware that this topic is being comented on with legislation being quoted from DIFFERENT STATES.... make sure that the legislation you are reading applies to you in your State, it is likely to be entirely different.

Dug, you are 100% right, 1 cop will charge you with an offence based on HIS interpretation, a Judge will convict or discharge you on his interpretation, the Prosecutor or Defendant can then appeal that decision and an entirely different Judge can then reverse that order on his interpretation and so on.
When legislation is written as poorly as this, their will be a wide variation in how the result is reached and what that result will be...

Simple, dont get pissed on a boat.

adrian
08-04-2005, 03:07 AM
i know it could be fun to have a few while fishing . but as a bus driver the limit is 0.00000000000000000000000000000 blood limit i've just don't drink 12 hrs before getting behind the wheel of anything it's not worth it.

anzac

tideline_two
08-04-2005, 07:48 AM
i've got a question . .05 is yall"s legal limit for DUI? how much does that take? i mean if you smell a beer you'll blow that.they just lowered the limit here in south carolina , usa . to .08 they still have to prove you were impaired. i mean 3 beers in a hour ,to drunk to operate a vessel or a automoblie? give me a break.

you can drive old, you can drive stupid but you can't smell a beer and drive? something is wrong with that.

devocean
08-04-2005, 08:29 AM
Just jump overboard and tell em you are swimming and you dont know who owns the boat

mini696
08-04-2005, 09:42 AM
LOL ;D

Bosunsmate
08-04-2005, 11:55 AM
As Kerry said.......

<<<<< 8 Hours bottle to Throttle >>>>>

Its quite simple, drink drive youre a bloody idiot (and deserve to get caught).....

Derek Bullock
08-04-2005, 01:13 PM
The relevant legislation in Queensland is - http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/T/TrantOpRUA95.pdf

The relevant section is

79 Driving etc. whilst under influence of liquor or drugs or
with prescribed concentration of alcohol in blood or
breath

(1) Any person who whilst under the influence of liquor or a
drug—
(a) drives a motor vehicle, tram, train or vessel; or
(b) attempts to put in motion a motor vehicle, tram, train or
vessel; or
(c) is in charge of a motor vehicle, tram, train or vessel;

is guilty of an offence and liable to a penalty not exceeding
28 penalty units or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding
9 months.

The key word here is "is in charge of a motor vehicle, tram, train or vessel"

Cheers

Derek

bungie
08-04-2005, 02:04 PM
tideline_two,

Think it works out at two drinks in the first hr then one every hr after.

Yours was just lowered to .08, what was it before ?

tideline_two
08-04-2005, 07:04 PM
ours was .10 in south carolina. it was lowered to .o8 to meet federal standards. BUT they also put in a stipulation that the results of the breathalizer were not the only criteria. they put vedio tapes in the breathlizer room and a jury can also use that when deliberateing.

vp3
09-04-2005, 02:59 PM
I was at the meeting the Commodore is talking about. I consider it to be B.S. what was said. Lets face facts a copper will book you if and when he feels the urge no matter what the actual law states. The law can be read in many diffrent ways it depends how much money you have got to throw at it. I think the .05 limit is also B.S. as it doesn't even touch the sides when I have a drink.
I do believe boating and drink do not mix and people that do are "bloody idiots"
Cheers Ian

moondancer
09-04-2005, 03:51 PM
I have no problem with having a FEW drinks whilst safely anchored for the night, but have seen (and had problems 'rescuing' too many dickheads who were obviously over the limit. I'm quite OK with the .05 legislation applying to on road and on water - and yes, I agree that on water, anchored where you MIGHT have to move means you are still in charge of the vessel! At a designated marina/ mooring point etc. is, for many, the equivalent of being in your driveway, or for some, your home - just stay there!

Dignity
09-04-2005, 04:38 PM
I have no problem with having a FEW drinks whilst safely anchored for the night,
What does that mean?
I have spent many an evening down South Stradbroke (Tipplers etc)way and there have been many vesels that are so called "safely anchored" only to drift into other vesels as a storm hits late afternoon ore early evening in summer because either the owners weren't there in most cases were and pissed to the eyeballs. The water police are quite vigilant at times and at others noticed by their absence but they will pull up boaties who are on a vessel anchored but no body is sober aboard.

Think I am being overboard, try having boats (houseboats are the worst) smash into your vessel while you have taken all the precautions, including having friends ashore that are sober in case of emergencies - one of the benefits of belonging to a boat club.

Seen it too many times to ignore it. If it's not in your driveway, a dedicated mooring etc when it comes to the booze brigade I have no sympathies if you get caught, and I enjoy more beers than the next guy (or wine, or spirits or,,,,,,,,,hell, is it alcoholic).

Sam now where did i put that glass of red :'( :'(

moondancer
09-04-2005, 06:08 PM
on 7:50pm Today, moondancer wrote:I have no problem with having a FEW drinks whilst safely anchored for the night,

Dignity wrote :
What does that mean?

What I mean is in fact what you are saying. By a few, I mean under the limit - literally a couple - just to enjoy the moment! (As against total abstinence!)

I've shared your very experience around Tipplers, and other places - not fun! But I also recognize that boating is a leisure pursuit, and in our culture, that usually goes with munchies and drinks - but the message that some dont get is that of enjoying yourself responsibly, (and within legal limits)

Enjoy your red! Mine's waitning too!!

Gazza
10-04-2005, 08:35 AM
Tell me ,are you "banned" from driving a boat ,if you lose your Drivers Lic. ???

i.e. does someone know a reg/law that specifically "says so" ???

p.s. I understand a,b,c,etc "class" licences....
what is a "boat" classed as.......think it through 8)

bay_firey
10-04-2005, 04:06 PM
Gazza
Yes
If you go for DUI you lose all your privelages to drive.
As you should

Gazza
11-04-2005, 01:02 AM
Hi Mark, putting that .05 issue to oneside.... ;)

What about ,losing your car lic. for excessive points ???
Is there any reference in regs/law ,that "cancel" our Virtual(for life) Boat Lic..... ???

i.e. "reads" in black & white

bootyinblue
11-05-2007, 11:24 PM
This one has always been a bit of a misconception and obviously not even the water police have a consistent understanding or application of it, does appear they have individual interpretations.

If there's a possible intent then that is generally enough and especially if one is simply anchored as opposed to moored as one should always assume that when anchored for some unknown reason there could be a requirement to up anchor (at anytime) and move be it weather or for whatever reason.

Skippers should adopt the 8 hours bottle to throttle policy.

Cheers, Kerry.

'WITHOUT PREJUDICE'

Kerry,

Just a quick query whether you have got any proof that 'not even the Water Police have a consistant understanding or application?'

I will assure you that all Police have an understanding of this law as its taught hand in hand with motor vehicle offences as its contained, as correctly pointed out in s79 Of TORUMS.

There are elements of this offence which need to be satisfied for a successful prosecution, just like all other offences and if the subject vessel is not berthed in a marina or jetty, then someone who is appropriately licenced for the vessel must remain under the limit applicable for their licence.

Feral
12-05-2007, 06:13 AM
It does not really make a difference what the limit is set at, or where you are, you would have to be deaf dumb and blind not to know about the limit.

If you want to push the boundary and have more than your "3 in the first hour and one every hour thereafter" whilst anchored up, well then thank you, its people like you who make "voluntary taxation" contributions through fines that keep my taxes down ! :)

Relaxed
12-05-2007, 05:27 PM
vp3
Lets face facts a copper will book you if and when he feels the urge no matter what the actual law states.

vp3 if everyone thinks the same as you it would be sad and sorry place to live.

With stupid comments like that no wonder the job of policing is as hard as it is, don't do the wrong thing don't get booked, it's that simple.

Andy.

shaman
12-05-2007, 07:12 PM
If you want to push the boundary and have more than your "3 in the first hour and one every hour thereafter" ! :)

Won't 3 standard drinks in 1 hr put you over .05 and one every hr after keep you there???

Or have I been ripping myself off all these years?????

If planning a big day or sleepout on the boat I only pack Lites and after 4 you feel that bloated you slow right down............................

gawby
12-05-2007, 08:03 PM
vp3.
I endorse the comment made by Relaxed.
I work with people that have the same comment as you about police. They get wacked all the time and wonder why????????????
This old wives tale about how many drinks you can have in the first hour and so on in the next hours is just rubbish.
Everbodys makeup is different.
Some people can have three drinks and be smashed and be way over the limit.
Someone else have three drinks and not move the needle.
I know this for a fact and am not about to explain myself but if you want to test yourself against the odds don't come back on here and knock the coppers for knocking you off.
I have over the years put bodies in the morgues in all different states, burnt beyond recognition and mangle beyond belief.
Drink driving was a major part in these instances and as far as i am concerned if you drink and drive you get what you deserve.
Drink at home and not on the water or whilst driving a car and stay alive.
Graeme

roz
12-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Won't 3 standard drinks in 1 hr put you over .05 and one every hr after keep you there???

Or have I been ripping myself off all these years?????

If planning a big day or sleepout on the boat I only pack Lites and after 4 you feel that bloated you slow right down............................

Embarrassed Billy,

If you don't know your limit simply don't drink and drive, get someone else with a boat licence to. Simple common sense.

r.

Reel Nauti
12-05-2007, 09:20 PM
I'd just like to add to this topic that .05 is NOT the limit. At .05 you can be booked by the police. There are plenty who will testify to this. The limit is actually .049. If you're over that, your gone.

Cheers

Dave

dogsbody
12-05-2007, 10:16 PM
Yes i can second that i was done in 89 for .05. 9 months and 450 bucks later hard lesson. How did a fool and his money get together in the first place?

Dave.

Reel Nauti
13-05-2007, 11:18 AM
I know a few people who have been as well Dogsbody. I went to support a friend who pleaded not guilty to DUI at .05. His solicitor argued that in a 60k zone a motorist is permitted to drive at 60k per hour, and in a 100k zone permitted to drive at 100k per hour. But the Police Service and Government promote .05 as being the legal limit for BAC when in fact if you are at .05 you have broken the law. The magistrate stated that at .05 you are indeed over the limit and my friend was charged accordingly.

How do they get away with promoting .05. Surely it has got to be misleading advertising at the very least, at the most it is nothing but a lie.

Cheers

Dave

bay_firey
13-05-2007, 03:21 PM
Dave I think you will find that they promote it as having to be Under .05

shaman
13-05-2007, 03:31 PM
Embarrassed Billy,

r.

?????????????????? who's embarrased and why ???????????????????????

Reel Nauti
13-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Hi Booty

Yes I know at .05 one is over the limit and therefore guilty. My friend knew that as well, as of course did the solicitor. The point they were trying to make, by taking it to court, was the fact that .05 is so heavily promoted and yet if you are at it you are guilty. I think another point they were both trying to make is why is it not .049 that is promoted vigorously as being the "limit". All the signs, all of the advertising, the years of extensive promotion, and I can honestly say that I have never seen .049 as being stated as the "limit".

Just one of my pet gripes I guess!

Cheers

Dave

juju
13-05-2007, 06:32 PM
Why is there a need to drink at all ????

Relaxed
13-05-2007, 07:32 PM
Hi Juju

I drink because it tastes bloody great, and quenches my thirst :D .

I don't drink and drive, like Gawby I have seen the results, only a few weeks ago I came accross an accident scene which was a triple fatality, all from the one family.

On the same strech of road a week later a person exceeding the alcohol limit, missed crashing into us by about ten metres, he lost control doing approx 130kmh in a 60 zone, we had to swerve to avoid him. :wreck:

In Tassie we only charge or proceed, if the alcohol concentration is 0.051 or greater. :beer:

Like others have said police must have the facts to back up any charges, fines can always not be paid and the person can have their say in court and dispute any facts.

Cheers Andy.

haggis
13-05-2007, 08:34 PM
I dont drink & drive in my boat . I leave the drinking till we get home and wash the boat , with level five water restrictions I have more time to drink my beer in a safe enviroment unless I upset the misses .
cheers fae Haggis ..............

Cruiser
14-05-2007, 05:20 PM
One question for the boys in blue...

On land, you are generally tested at the roadside using a hand-held "alco-tester" which is just a screening device. If you fail you will be required to undergo a proper breathalyser test at an RBT or Police Station before you can be charged. You cannot be charged on the basis of the alco-tester alone (it's not that accurate).

What happens on the water? I have been tested by Water Police using the hand-held device (and passed with a zero reading). What if I had registered a fail? Wouldn't I have to be taken back to a Police Station for a proper breathalyser test? If so, chances are that would take a while and I'd probably end up under the limit by then. Or can you be charged just on the results of the handheld device? I didn't see a full blown breathalyser in their rubber duckie.

What happens to my boat in that case? Is it just left anchored out in the bay?

Just curious is all.

Chris.

Relaxed
14-05-2007, 05:42 PM
Hi Cruiser,

You are right, if over the limit on the handheld you must be taken back to the station or a mobile Booze Bus to be put on the breath analysis instrument.

The law's about alcohol and boating are only new down here, I don't believe anyone has been charged yet.

Your blood alcohol level may come down in the time it takes or it may actualy rise depending on how much you have drank and when you had your last one.

As far as what to do with the boat I am not sure, maybe Booty could help out with the answer. (why does his post have banned next to it, have I missed something?)

Cheers Andy.

Reel Nauti
14-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Andy, are you saying that no one in Tassie has been charged with DUI in their boat??

What happens in NSW Tom?

And they are good questions Cruiser. Is there a Qld policeman here who can answer? Booty's been banned, twice I think, so I don't think he will be able to respond.

Cheers

Dave

littlejim
14-05-2007, 06:31 PM
as I sit here sipping away on my Tooheys Blue (light) typing in answers to posts I would otherwise just read, I wondered if there should be a 0.05 limit when posting. Or would that mean we get no posts? (I've removed all the typos so you don't think I've had too many Tooheys Bloos.)

Relaxed
14-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Hi Reel Nauti

Yep as far as I know noone has been charged, the legislation is only new and we don't have as many boaters as other states.

The Police force is reluctant to put too much spend money, we work on a tough budget, so numbers are not enough too police the new legislation.

Littlejim, the only reason my name on here is Relaxed is because of too many Toohyes Red.

Why did Booty get banned?

Andy.

Reel Nauti
14-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Hey guys I don't want to go on and on about this, but just check it out for yourselves. This is the police site as you can see, and please take particular notice of the last line where is states very clearly about 'how not to go OVER THE .05 LEGAL LIMIT'.

http://www.police.qld.gov.au/services/drugs/law/08.htm (http://www.police.qld.gov.au/services/drugs/law/08.htm)

Cheers

Dave

Rod Fishing
14-05-2007, 09:41 PM
[quote=Relaxed;619325]Hi Reel Nauti

Yep as far as I know noone has been charged, the legislation is only new and we don't have as many boaters as other states.

The Police force is reluctant to put too much spend money, we work on a tough budget, so numbers are not enough too police the new legislation.

Littlejim, the only reason my name on here is Relaxed is because of too many Toohyes Red.

Andy.[/quote

Yeah why did booty get banned?

mod5
14-05-2007, 10:16 PM
Hi Reel Nauti

Andy.

Yeah why did booty get banned?

As with drink driving both on land and water there are rules. Flout the rules and there are sanctions.

Ausfish is the same. When you sign up you agree to a certain set of rules. Continuously flout those rules and there are sanctions.

Bootyinblue was banned for continuing to do certain things after being warned not to.

Lovey80
14-05-2007, 10:35 PM
79 Driving etc. whilst under influence of liquor or drugs or
with prescribed concentration of alcohol in blood or
breath

(1) Any person who whilst under the influence of liquor or a
drug—
(a) drives a motor vehicle, tram, train or vessel; or
(b) attempts to put in motion a motor vehicle, tram, train or
vessel; or
(c) is in charge of a motor vehicle, tram, train or vessel;

is guilty of an offence and liable to a penalty not exceeding
28 penalty units or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding

For the Record strait up I dont advocate drink driving one bit.

The way i see it this part of the wording was set up so that whilst on some occasions a person may not be the driver he is in charge ie An Open licence holder supervising a learner. Obviously you cant get on the drink and get your sober 16 year old learner driver son to drive you back from the pub. Unfortunately being in charge of a motor vehicle can be interpreted(misinterpreted) by police to screw you over at their discretion. As far as im concerned if im not at the wheel of any vessel/vehicle with the motor running then the handbrake or anchor is in charge of the vehicle. Now that may be a naieve way to look at it but its the fair way to look at it. But of course theres pleanty of Coppers out there that got picked on once too often at school and have that chip on their shoulders (80% of every traffic cop ive met lol) and will do you over because he can. There has been more than 1 night ive been out for an all nighter with a mate or two, anchored/moored up in the old faithfull spot set up the rigs and got on the drink and been over the limmit but by 7 the next morning after a hard sleep in the boat i would have been right down. (That isnt a que for 10 people to tell a story about guys getting caught the morning after a drink).

Now theres pleanty of other things I could be doing with my spare time apart from some harmless fishing that could cause some real trouble for the police but i dont because I'm not that sort of person. So if i got done like that I would fight it til the end.

Ive never been done DUI or had a criminal record so I recon if your a good bloke and dont carry on like a pork chop everything goes along just fine.

For those coppers offended by my comments I applogise in advance...... except for you traffic cops he he he.

OK im ranting now if you've read this far i'm sorry but i need to get another bourbon (enter smiley face here)

Cheers Chris

Luc
15-05-2007, 12:38 AM
My solution is eazy,

ZERO tolerance while in the boat. The time to enjoy a cold one is after fishing's done.

Luc

Fish Guts
15-05-2007, 07:02 PM
honestly the enforcement of drink driving offences whilst anchored is a very hazey subject. Police use discretion in these instances. If your acting like a ########, you;l be sure to be done over, if you know what your doing, safely anchored, out of everyones way, then i think its absolute bullshit you cant have more than 3 beers. have never had a problem with it, and never known anyonhe to get done whislt at anchor. and will continue to have a good few beers whilst anchored, to knock off a hard weeks work, and dont tell me the other 95% of boats at anchorages arent doing the same. (inc QPS vessels) -

Camo
15-05-2007, 08:51 PM
If I remember correctly it works out that if you consume one standard drink, your blood alcohol would be equal to .02%. This is equal to 20mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood. So if for example you drank the equivalent of 2 standard drinks of any type of liquor, within an hour (must be a standard drink, for example a stubbie is more than a standard drink) then your blood alcohol would go up to .04%. Your blood alcohol continues to rise in a normal person for one hour after you have finished your last drink. After that an average healthy person eliminates .02% per hour. So after you finished your last drink it would take you approximately 3 hours to get back to about zero. That is if you stopped drinking after the second drink. As you can see it can get very complicated, especially if you're not drinking standard drinks. Best idea is not to drink if you've got to drive. One thing to remember is that it doesn't matter what size or body shape you are the amount of alcohol you drink is always going to be equal to the amount that goes into you blood stream. How it affects you depends on the individual, and lots of other factors. Thats why you can probably have 2 drinks an hour and one every hour after that, you would probably be okay, provided they were standard drinks.

Camo

Fish Guts
16-05-2007, 10:00 AM
a xxxx gold stubbie is one standard drink

Sea-Dog
16-05-2007, 10:29 AM
a xxxx gold stubbie is one standard drink

And a fine standard it is..... ;D

Corry
15-07-2007, 08:30 PM
In the danger of starting the whole debate on alcohol up again, I've got some questions that I am unsure of the answers.
There are a number of us going on a houseboat holiday in Hinchinbrook later in the year, we are on the boat for a week. The way we understand the legislation is that one of us must stay under 0.05 at all times as the houseboat won't be moored in a Marina. BUT... what about the owners of the three tinnies we are taking that will be tied to the back of the houseboat?
I am unable to find anything in the legislation that mentions a boat that is tied to a boat.
Does anyone know where we stand here, preferably if a link or a document can be directed for clarification it would be appreciated.
Don't wish to take any chances with this, too much risk.

Cheers
Corry

Fish Guts
15-07-2007, 09:26 PM
good question you raise corry. I personally woudlnt worry at all. Make sure someone is under the limit on the houseboat. I think the only way youd get done with the tinnies is if someone is visibly in/or attempting to operate the tinnies. I think the sober person under the legal limit would satisfy the legal obligations if the tinnie needed to be moved.

Ring up the bareboat company and get some info on moorings that you could tie up to, in the event that everyone wanted to get a few drinks happening.

hope you have a ball.

cheers

fish guts

disorderly
15-07-2007, 09:41 PM
good question you raise corry. I personally woudlnt worry at all. Make sure someone is under the limit on the houseboat. I think the only way youd get done with the tinnies is if someone is visibly in/or attempting to operate the tinnies. I think the sober person under the legal limit would satisfy the legal obligations if the tinnie needed to be moved.

Ring up the bareboat company and get some info on moorings that you could tie up to, in the event that everyone wanted to get a few drinks happening.

hope you have a ball.

cheers

fish guts

Yeah,I think that fishguts is on the money here.
As long as someone with a boat licence is sober on the mothership and no one operates the moored tinnys whilst intoxicated then its going to be a good trip.
Hope the weather improves for you though.I was out around Dunk Is. this arvo and the windy trend this year shows no sign of abating.

Scott

KGW3
18-07-2007, 08:24 AM
Agree with LUC. Some people cannot survive without a beer in their hand at all times. Most likely the cause of all mishaps aboard boats and 95% of ramp rage.
0.0 would suit me.. CUB and Lyon nathon get NONE of my money...

FrankFWM
28-07-2007, 01:30 AM
I no longer drink(recently diagnosed with diabetes so can't) anyway, I have previously asked watr police in Qld the question, if I was anchored bow out from the beach with a rear rope to a tree and sitting on my boat at tipplers, can I be booked if I am over .05?

The answer was, technically yes, in reality, unless I was making an a-hole of myself and drawing attention to myself by action stupidly, then they in reality would not book me.

I see a lot of pissed people on boats anchored(tipplers is renowned for it) and I have seen them lose anchor either due to them not knoing to leave anough rope out due to inexperience or just bad weather and I have seen them also get into fist fights because someone else's boat hit them. Because they were drunk, (in my opinon) they have been very agro and people were assaulted.

Basicly, my view is, don't drink if your the person in charge of the boat regardless of anchored or not. Simple.

That's my 2 cents anyway...