PDA

View Full Version : Moreton Bay Marine Park

tshort
09-04-2005, 10:16 AM
Just had a quick look at the MBMP map and was surprised to see that the yellow conservation areas have no restrictions on recreational fishers, unlike the GSMP. How could this be, what do think the reasoniong is behind this. I'm glad for the fishermen in that area but can't understand the inconsistancy with zoning. Conservation zones should be refered to as gray areas not yellow from now on.

kc
09-04-2005, 07:17 PM
Can you post a link to the map please

Regards

KC

Gazza
10-04-2005, 01:46 AM
;) http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/parks_and_forests/marine_parks/moreton_bay/

Gazza
10-04-2005, 08:47 AM
KC......a side-issue on "percieved" $$$ value for tourism....

NOTE: "the subsidy"...like what! the! :-X
Few tricky numbers game(s) being applied...... ??? ;)

http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,12793795%255E953,00.html

I'd like to see "due to wishing to fish" recreational $$$ be increased ,and allocated to "rec Fishing" N-O-T tourism ;)

kc
10-04-2005, 11:10 AM
Quite amazing that only the NT Government has every understood the tourism value of recreational fishing.

Weipa has the potential to rival anything in NT yet it is being flogged by supertrawlers targetting mangrove jack aggregations, mackerel netters and shark netters killing masses of Queenies & longtails and now even the prawn trawlers have moved in.

More power to the NT and no wonder it has become most fishos "dream" holiday.

As to Morten Bay I will do some homework (in my spare time)

KC

dazza
10-04-2005, 01:24 PM
hi all,
it is interesting the bay is coloured yellow, it has been like that for at least 12 months that i know of. all the epa need to do is change its useage, we are already used to seeing it yellow on the maps, are we seeing change by stealth?
TFPQ north brisbane branch has contacted the epa and asked them about proposed changes etc. we were informed that the planning hasn't started yet. they were going to finnish the sandy straits before starting moreton bay. they advised us that they would be happy to recieve submissions. i personally would like to see their cards first. hopefully they have learned by the sandy straits that the good old pushover rec fisho is a thing of the past and we are now very passionate and vocal about our sport.
cheers
dazza

Gazza
11-04-2005, 01:18 AM
Yeah Dazza, yellow(Nth.) ,striped-yellow(HB), and yellow(sensible #[smiley=2thumbsup.gif] ) for SEQ ,has different meanings....and worth keeping an eye on, for the future #;)

Trick-is , we(SEQ) don't get brought down, to the lowest common denominator #[smiley=angryfire.gif] , in fishing-grounds available ,at the whim of some colour-blind beauracrat #>:(

p.s. I understand it "looosely" ??? refers to commercial activity ,not allowed, in those areas ,maybe trawlers ,not sure of comm. line-fishing ??? ,as there are pro-crabbers "allowed" (which is fine for the area)

Kerry
11-04-2005, 07:26 AM
Just had a quick look at the MBMP map and was surprised to see that the yellow conservation areas have no restrictions on recreational fishers, unlike the GSMP. How #could this be, what do think the reasoniong is behind this. I'm glad for the fishermen in that area but can't understand the inconsistancy with zoning. Conservation zones should be refered to as gray areas not yellow from now on.

The difference? Well one being Commonwealth and one being State ;) Fancy expecting them to adopt the same definition although GBRMPA do note that ....since July 1, 2004 the Conservation park (Yellow) Zone is very similar to the Queensland (State) Marine National Park "A" Zone.

Actually GBR has 2 conservation zones the other being Estuarine specific (brown zone) ::) and as usual when did the GBR (as in REEF) end up someones estuary :-X

Cheers, Kerry.