PDA

View Full Version : Winter time at yamba

Big-D
08-04-2005, 05:35 AM
Hi ausfishos, Need help and good advice on yamba in the winter time, My girlfriend and i are going to yamba from the 4th to the 10th of june, so if know some good spot's fill me in on them.
I will be taking my boat with me and staying at the Fishing Haven Caravan Park. So if you fishos are down that way just call in and have a coldie or two.

Cheers Peter. :D

Mick
08-04-2005, 05:46 AM
Are you in a boat or fishing from land?

Black_Rat
08-04-2005, 06:07 AM
Is it your first time down that neck of the woods ??? if so might be able to help, stayed at the Fishing Haven park two years ago. :)
Damo

Big-D
08-04-2005, 06:16 AM
[smiley=thumbsup.gif] Hi mick, yes mate i will be in my boat. Black_Rat i was down there in february this year, the girlfiend caught some nice whiting at whiting beach.

Cheers pete. ;D ;D

Black_Rat
08-04-2005, 07:23 AM
Pete,

At the Fishing Haven Park they have a little jetty and in front of it to the left there is a huge hole about 30ft #:o with a sunken houseboat wreck, we sounded over it in my boat and there is plenty of structure and snags down there good for fishing land based at night. #;) And there was plenty of herring about for jigging livies there too.
There is a boat ramp just down from the Caravan park but it is only a sand/gravel ramp with little manouvering space. At the time I had a 4.2 Quinnie dory and with a two wheel drive did manage to get it out just but a 4wd would be no dramas and anything above 4.5m might be a pain to launch/retrieve. A lot of people down there launch and just leave there boats in under anchor and tied of to a tree in front of the park ;)
There are better facilities for launching near the Harwood Bridge and from what I was told a good Jewie spot. We had a few good runs on live herring one night but only turned out to be sting rays #>:( but the big bream luv em ! #:)
Other then that from the big jetty at Browns rocks about 300m upstream and 200m of the bank near the green beacon there is a good hole and you'll often see a few boats anchored or drifting that area where we got a heap of flatties. [smiley=chef.gif]
Hope this helps.
Damo.

kevy
08-04-2005, 02:17 PM
hi big d, if your into blackfish that,s the time of year. try the middle wall, or the collie,s wall from the the the boat. the t piece another option. their should be plenty of flathead the other side of the bridge on the harwood side. check with the tackle shop at yamba. all the best, kevy. :D ;D

FOOCKCHUCKER
08-04-2005, 03:36 PM
don"t forget the entrance walls in the boat or off them with the beach rod uncle jewy will be around the bar. also dont overlook browns rocks with light gear may see you there @ that time
?

mattooty
08-04-2005, 03:39 PM
come into yamba bait and tackle and i'll sort ya out. But if your there on weekdays peter will get you around. ;)
Its the one in the main street. It depends what your chasing. Most species are around most of the year. Whiting beach is ok for the small whiting but try fishing around the channel mouths aronud the islands on dusk or dawn. Good fishing with plastics for trevally and big flatties in front of the tavern.
If your fishing around the yamba area go to the middle wall and jig some livies, drifting them around the middle wall on either side will pull BIG bream, BIG flathead and plently of school jew. Berley up around the weedbeds at whiting beach for garfish and go spinning for tailor off yamba point or angourie. Further up river around oyster channel bridge is a good spot for flatties and jew at night. They don't seem to mind the bridge works at all. Lake wooleweyah is a good spot for crabs and flatties but they are starting to drop off now.
The harwood bridge is good but u have to be on the up-current side of the bridge. It is easy to get a good supply of herring. Aim for the bottom of the tide.
Hope ya have a good holiday.
Matt

Vickypoint
09-04-2005, 04:19 PM
Have a look at Fishing Monthy mag. The writer MONO normally has very good articles on the fishing at Yamba including where to fish and techniques for that neck of the woods.

theoldlegend
11-04-2005, 01:21 PM
G'day mate. We're going to Iluka on 6 June to the 13th.

The middle wall's worth a shot and also Collis's wall might be OK as well. Should be some tailor off the river breakwater as well.

The old legend.

Big-D
12-04-2005, 08:19 AM
[smiley=thumbsup.gif]Thank's guys, for all the good advice on yamba,looking foward to meeting you mattooty at the b&t shop, and you The old legend may be on the water.

So don't forget to drop in for a coldie if you ausfishos lads are passing buy.

Cheers pete. ;) ;) ;)

mattooty
12-04-2005, 08:59 AM
What were the dates you're coming into town on? I don't think i'm working again till last w/e of the holz but pete or mel should be in. Pete is an awesome fisher. Also at the hardware store next door, the young guy named ryan is a gun jewfisherman.
If you're there on a w/e make sure to get all your gear early in the day as all the shop owners are lazy bastards and shutup early. We're the only ones still open after 2. Except maybe a few surf shops.
catcha and hope ya have a good holiday
Matt