PDA

View Full Version : Billy Clubs Banned????

Capt_FishMan
10-04-2005, 12:28 AM
A mate told me if you have a billy club in your procession
(boat) for fish taming, you risk ending up in court on weapons
offences.

Apparently batons and billy clubs are a prohibited item in Qld
and you can't have them period.

Anyone else heard of this?

el_carpo
10-04-2005, 02:46 AM
Are the knives you use for cutting bait and lines also banned? If it's true about the clubs, that's quite a stupid law. Hooks are sharp too don't forget. If you got mad enough, they could be used as weapons. Heck, what is a hand? People can make fists with those things. Before you know it, someone will get punched. Better ban them too, just to be safe. Legs? Sometimes used for kicking! Banned! Frying pans, although mostly used for frying fish, can also be used as weapons ---banned-a-rino! ::)

Does this nonsense ever end? >:( Why can't rule-makers find another way to justify their employment? Do they just like annoying people or something? For fifty-bazillion years, fishermen have carried clubs with them to subdue large (potentially dangerous) fish in their boats and everything has gone fine. All of a sudden, some gov. employee gets ideas and poof! Reason goes out the window.

A side note: Don't think this stuff only happens there. I could get in trouble for carrying one of those little, dinky, metal finger-nail clipping dealies in an airport here. I kid you not! :P

Very aggravating.

E.C. Sorry for the rant. This stuff just gets to me.

agnes_jack
10-04-2005, 03:54 AM
Haven't heard that before!
Though it would not surprise me. I would assume that it would only be classed as a weapon if used in a threatening manner :-/

I'm safe though, mine is simply a harmless lump of steel pipe, ;D ;D ;D ;D

Regards, Tony ;)

finga64
10-04-2005, 04:50 AM
Another reason why our typical Australian way of life is dissappearing (sorry fella's and girls) by a very few so called do gooders. Wonder if they (the law makes) ever been fishing and needed to use a persuader?? :-/
I'd be more worried about my gaff, its got a long handle and a big hook ;)
or are they going to ban my better half, the cook. She can get pretty cranky and can be more dangerous then a billy club :o (please don't tell her, I'll be in strife again ;))

cabfisher
10-04-2005, 04:55 AM
Hi all as always there is a way around these Problems
You never carry a Knife a club or a can of hair spray or anything as self defence ! The knife is for cutting the bait ect .
The club is not a club ! but a extenion handel for the steering of the boat ,
The can of hair spray is for your Hair .
And so on
But be warned Just what you say if question by the law or anyone els .
As to why you are carrying them .
Ok have a nice day Cheers Harry

flattymattyb
10-04-2005, 04:56 AM
If I can't carry a club what am I going to do when I finally land that trophy grey nurse :-X ::). Can't say I've heard of that law though.

Cheers
Matty

Lucky_Phill
10-04-2005, 05:50 AM
awe crap.

Where did you hear it and how good is your source ?

The trouble with hear-say, is that is starts off being harmless and after a few passes, turns into a Law, Truth, what ever. Only asking here starts a thread that will ensure the " Billy Club " banning will be Law ( in ones own head ).

Jeez, instead of posting it here ( not having a dig ), ask the DPI or Martime folk. GO TO THE SOURCE !

Then , if the rumour becomes a truemour, post it, so that we all can pooh pooh it !

Phill ;)

Maria
10-04-2005, 06:37 AM
It's illegal to carry or wear a sheath knife in QLD as well, yet I know of many fishermen (myself inclusive) who wear one while they fish.

Pretty much anything can be considered a concealable weapon, if you put your imagination to work. Our good people of the law have made a number of the more exciting ones outright illegal for obvious reasons. But, if you're caught in public carrying a shard of sharpened steel with a canvas bound "handle", you're going to be pretty hard pressed proving that it's a garden trowel aren't you.

The same goes for a billy stick. It's only a weapon if the user has intent to use it in a malicious way and when the day dawns that coppers start busting fishos for having a billy stick, I'm going to move to a far remote corner of outer Mongolia and become a nomad to escape the beauracracy overkill.

Meow

propdinger
10-04-2005, 06:40 AM
its all ok now i just clubbed the guy who tried to make it law #::) ::) :-X :-X ;D ;D ;D ;D

i dont think you should have anything to worry about unless you want to use it for hitting something other than a fish you want to keep

Dug
10-04-2005, 07:42 AM
It is not a weapon untill it is used in a threatening manner.

If you use it to threaten or damage then it is an offensive weapon.

If it sits still it is a lump of wood.

I carry a Machette and a Mr Thwacky stick in my ute

The only time I have used them is to put an emu down after it was hit by a truck and still alive on the road out of Kalgoolie.
This was also an "illegal" act, by law i should have either left it in pain beside the road or put it in the ute and taken it to a vet!

No court will convict you if you are acting in "Good faith"

Mick
10-04-2005, 07:43 AM
It is safer to carry a club then not too. Why, the other day i had an out of control prawn in the boat and if i didn't have my club..., well, who knows what damage could of been caused by this mentally ill prawn with a vengence!

agnes_jack
10-04-2005, 07:57 AM
Gotta watch them prawns mick!!!! :o :o :o

Regards, Tony ;D

Gazza
10-04-2005, 08:26 AM
hehehe...."urban myths" ::)

p.s. no law for using a club-lock for ya steering-wheel ;)

Big_unit
10-04-2005, 09:06 AM
Hi Guys,
Carrying a club, or anything similiar is an inditable offence under the Weapons Act carrys up to six months imprisonment or a maximum $2000 fine. You are supposed to be licensed ( Security Guard with weapons handling endorsement.) for the the use of a Restricted Item ie; Club, Extendable Baton, Handcuffs, Pepper spray or the like. I can tell you that whilst I dont agree with it, it is true. If you carry these items in a Public place they can also charge you with Going armed in a Public place with intent or Carrying a Restricted Item whilst unlicensed. Its crap but most laws are, what you need to remember is that not everyone has the good intentions, as we do. Most Coppers have enough discretion to leave you and me alone but they need to be able to get rid of a scumbag that may intend on causing fear or crime with one of these items. How would you feel if it were legal to carry this stuff and it was your Missus or kids that was threatened with a club by some junkie wanting money. You would be glad he had the extra charges on him just to give more time in Her Majestys Hotel. Something to think about hey.

Sorry to go on.

Cheers
James.

Gazza
10-04-2005, 11:07 AM
Hi Guys,
# # # # # Carrying a club, or anything similiar is an inditable offence under the Weapons Act carrys up to six months imprisonment or a maximum $2000 fine. You are supposed to be licensed ( Security Guard with weapons handling endorsement.) for the the use of a Restricted Item ie; Club, Extendable Baton, Handcuffs, Pepper spray or the like. I can tell you that whilst I dont agree with it, it is true. If you carry these items in a Public place they can also charge you with Going armed in a Public place with intent or Carrying a Restricted Item whilst unlicensed. Its crap but most laws are, what you need to remember is that not everyone has the good intentions, as we do. Most Coppers have enough discretion to leave you and me alone but they need to be able to get rid of a scumbag that may intend on causing fear or crime with one of these items. How would you feel if it were legal to carry this stuff and it was your Missus or kids that was threatened with a club by some junkie wanting money. You would be glad he had the extra charges on him just to give more time in Her Majestys Hotel. Something to think about hey.

Sorry to go on.

Cheers
James.
Sorry to head-butt you James ;D :D :D :D

How would you feel if it were legal to carry this stuff and it was your Missus or kids that was threatened with a club by some junkie wanting money.

So your Missus NOW WON'T BE CLOBBERED ,because it's illegal for the Junkie to steal from you, using a club!! ::)

I'd have a little more faith in my fridge magnet ,I constantly use to repell terrorists [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

...maybe make them into necklaces ??? ??? ,they'll save us? ;D

Maybe we should just call them nulla-nullas [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] ,and go over to the darkside :-X

agnes_jack
10-04-2005, 11:56 AM
Really I think this is more aimed at carrying a billie in the boat rather than walking the streets with the things. As long as they are kept in the boat and not used to threaten anybody, I don't really think there would be a great problem. Same as your fishing knife, it's illegal to carry it around the streets or to a nightclub, but I seriously doubt you would be charged for keeping it in your boat and tackle box to be used only for fishing. :-/ :-/ :-/

Regards, Tony ;D

Dug
10-04-2005, 12:03 PM
If it's good enough for GW Shrub and our Man of Steal to invade Iraq in a preemptive strike based on incorrect information.

I think I should be able to hit people I believe may become a threat to me in the future. Just incase they do turn nasty, and given that I have beaten the cr@p out of them this will probably be correct as they will come looking for me when they get out of hospital.

Can I get a job in the foreign affairs department now? [smiley=laola.gif]

Dug
10-04-2005, 12:08 PM
PS my fridge magnet is working a treat! I put it on my fridge and since then it has never been attacked by terrorist ;D

I was attacked by my drunken son who had trouble trying to open it to get more beer but that is more a domestic problem than a foreign invasion ::)

Big_unit
10-04-2005, 12:40 PM
Gazza,
# # # # Why dont you highlight the bits about " not everyone has good intentions as we do " or " Most Coppers have enough discretion to leave you and me alone but they need to be able to get rid of a scumbag that may intend causing fear or crime with one of these items " You have taken what I said out of context and tried to make me look like an idiot, that I dont appreciate.

Crimes committed with Violence or Weapons are veiwed more seriously by the judicial system and they are often a lot more petrifying for the victim. They also carry heavier penalties than the lesser version of the crime.

Police have powers of discretion. If you are in your boat being abusive or aggressive, I wouldnt mind betting a Copper could charge you with a Restricted Item offence, if he can see or believes you have a weapon on your boat. A Cop can even search your vehicle or vessel just on suspicion. Laws like this and more are courtesy of Sept 11. Like I said though you would have to bring attention to yourself.

Cheers
James.

Capt_FishMan
10-04-2005, 12:44 PM
It's illegal to carry or wear a sheath knife in QLD as well, yet I know of many fishermen (myself inclusive) who wear one while they fish.

From what I understand "sheath knifes" are prohibited in NSW and not QLD.

At least with the knife laws in QLD, there are exceptions, like you can legally carry ANY type of knife, except "a knife so designed or constructed so as to be used as a weapon that while the knife is held in 1 hand, the blade may be released by that hand" provided your engaged in a recreational activity such as fishing.

As for the billy club, http://www.police.qld.gov.au/pr/program/wlb/category.shtml says billy clubs are a restricted item and you cant have them "a billy club, a baton or any device constructed or designed as a telescopic baton, not being a toy or a category M weapon, that if used is capable of causing bodily harm".

Not the wording says "IF used is capable of causing bodily harm", so you cant have one because they have the potential to hurt someone IF used. Your intentions for having one, mean nothing.

Guess they forgot about the recreational fisho when they past that law, they should have the same exceptions for billy clubs as they do for knives.

devocean
10-04-2005, 02:39 PM
What are we supposed to do talk to the mackeral to get them to settle down. Best part of mackeral fishing bashing them and getting blood all over ya fishin partner.

Capt_FishMan
10-04-2005, 04:27 PM
I like to think the police, would use common sense in dealing with people processing and using billy clubs for the purpose of fish taming. I'd also like to think that a magistrate would throw it out court for being so silly, if it ever reached court, but you never know these days.

But the bottom line is, your breaking the law if you have one. It's becoming impossible to do anything these days without breaking some law.

It just gives the police something else to do you for, if you ever make them unhappy.

nonibbles
10-04-2005, 05:51 PM
My billy club just became a prince! #(trout fishos will understand this)
Can i use a claw hammer instead?

dasher
10-04-2005, 06:05 PM
Does a bit of lead pipe with 6 inch screws in the end constitute one of these billys. ??? ???
I only use it on fish, pirates or people that annoy me. ??? ::) ;D [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Gazza
11-04-2005, 12:40 AM
Gazza,
# # # # Why dont you highlight the bits about " not everyone has good intentions as we do " or " Most Coppers have enough discretion to leave you and me alone but they need to be able to get rid of a scumbag that may intend causing fear or crime with one of these items " You have taken what I said out of context and tried to make me look like an idiot, that I dont appreciate.

Crimes committed with Violence or Weapons are veiwed more seriously by the judicial system and they are often a lot more petrifying for the victim. They also carry heavier penalties than the lesser version of the crime.

Police have powers of discretion. If you are in your boat being abusive or aggressive, I wouldnt mind betting a Copper could charge you with a Restricted Item offence, if he can see or believes you have a weapon on your boat. A Cop can even search your vehicle or vessel just on suspicion. Laws like this and more are courtesy of Sept 11. Like I said though you would have to bring attention to yourself.

Cheers
James.
Nahh mate ,your no idiot ,but the law can be idiotic!! #:-* (when taken out-of-context)

As for the last paragraph #;D , the stupid law-abiding copper wouldn't get close enough to take it away from me #:P , and my fridge-magnet necklace would stop the bullets!! #;D #:-[ :-[ :-[

p.s. Nulla-Nulla (aboriginal pacifier #::) ) has been donging things humanely for 40,000years
(probably even heads #:-/ )
Just IF stupid ideas, becomes reality ,and banned from use in boats....
USE a club-lock ,on/for your boat ,for "security reasons" #;) #;D

Regards
Gazza #8)

cooky
11-04-2005, 06:56 PM
i use a hockey stick 'trimmed' down - at least I could claim I was on the way to practice some 'sport'

Dug
11-04-2005, 07:01 PM
you could have one of those nice smooth polished baton type and pull out your tube of lube and offer to show them what you really use it for. [smiley=wreck.gif]

bugman
12-04-2005, 05:48 AM
In year 8 woodwork I made this marvelous wooden mallet. I was very proud of it having glued three piece of wood together than shaping it perfectly before handing a handle I hand carved.

I gave it to my dad.

A few years back when dad was cleaning out his shed he gave it back to me unused. My name was still engraved on the side.

Since that time, Mr Cobia, Mr Mackeral etc etc have felt the wrath of that perfectly shaped wooden mallet.

I'm sure Mr policeman would appreciate the fine lines of the wooden mallet as well - that's if he ever asked. :P

Bugman

Touchy - R.I.P.
12-04-2005, 07:43 AM
Bugman,Your mallet sounds great mate but its the wrong shape,since Lucky_Lycra_Phil & I have been hiding our baseball bat shaped dongers down our jocks we have not had any problems with the authorities 8) :o,did get an extra couple of dates as well tho',:D but thats another story eh Phil.Cheers Touchy><>.

Big_unit
12-04-2005, 07:50 AM
Touchy,
What your saying is that you and Lucky Phil go on dates together ??? :-/ sounds different, two grown men out fishing with Baseball Bat shaped Dongas on a date and having no problems. flmao. :o :o

Cheers
James.

Touchy - R.I.P.
12-04-2005, 07:58 AM
James, ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Dont be jealous now as I said thats another story :-X you will just have to wait till the book comes out!! ::) T.><>.

kevy
12-04-2005, 08:23 AM
hi all. interesting subject aye. i also use a mallet the son made at school, very effective on all types including sharks, ( not the g n. types) now it,s main use seems to be to kill & main the various types of spiders that inhabit the dash etc. i,m not complaining about the weather but i had to go to dubbo over easter, ( thats life i guess ) cheers kevy. :'( :'(

Dug
12-04-2005, 01:46 PM
I can see the current affairs headlines now

Shock! Horror!! "Children forced to make dangerous assault weapons in school" ;)

Boxhead
12-04-2005, 03:09 PM
I was at the Ulladulla markets on the weekend and we came across some asian friends selling massive swords, nasty looking knives and all sorts of other nasty stuff.... What's the story? Are these things legal or not??

Nath...

Anselmo
12-04-2005, 03:25 PM
i use a screwdriver and pop it behind the later line above the head and out goes the fish
ok strictly speaking i shouldn't be carrying a shaptened screwdriver either, but use it to widen splits on bamboo for my rodmaking activity
so what am i gonna do

tch!

the law is based on the premise of the reasonable man
use it resaonably (whatck marlin, sharks etc) and you'll be fine
use it as an enforcer to jump boat ramp queues, crack a skull of the wiindsurfer who rode over your biggest faltty of the year, etc and yu'll get the book thrown at you
And rightly so

basserman
12-04-2005, 03:58 PM
boxhead i was down at parklee markets down in sydney and also saw a stall with the same types of things :-/
to me you should be right mate! i really don't use the enoforcer i much prefure also to spike and bleed my fish and staght into the slurry but then again if i'm lucky enoght to get a fish a bit to big to handle it needs to be brought out and calmly explain to the fish why i'm the capt.

as for dangours weapons well im sure the school teacher also thought a fishing knife was harmless enought when he had words to some one in sydney a few years back and got stabed to death :-/

Burley_Boy
12-04-2005, 05:51 PM
Mate of mine used to tour with the Tatts back in the ummm....i..e..s ok a while ago.... He had a speargun in the truck and used it .. said it was quite effective in keeping people in control while whats the harm in keeping fishing gear in the truck....

Kill my fish with a Phillips head screwdriver after I damaged too much of the boat with the donger...

Capt_FishMan
12-04-2005, 06:41 PM
I was at the Ulladulla markets on the weekend and we came across some asian friends selling massive swords, nasty looking knives and all sorts of other nasty stuff.... What's the story? Are these things legal or not??

Nath...

Swords were recently banned in Victoria. I hear NSW is planning to ban them soon.

But swords are perfectly legal to buy, sell and own in Qld. However, since swords have a blade, I believe they fall under the knife laws, where you cannot carry them in a public place without a reasonable excuse as specified in the Act.

Not sure about the other states.

Capt_FishMan
12-04-2005, 10:07 PM
awe crap.

Where did you hear it and how good is your source ?

The trouble with hear-say, is that is starts off being harmless and after a few passes, turns into a Law, Truth, what ever. #Only asking here starts a thread that will ensure the " Billy Club " banning will be Law ( in ones own head ).

Jeez, #instead of posting it here ( not having a dig ), ask the DPI or Martime folk. #GO TO THE SOURCE !

Then , if the rumour becomes a truemour, post it, so that we all can pooh pooh it !

Phill # ;)

Ok Phill, Did a little research on the billy club issue at http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au

This is what I found...

OLD Legislation (Which gave an exemption to have a billy club ie: Fisho's)

Possessing and acquiring non-schedule items prohibited

41. A person is not, without reasonable excuse, to have possession of or acquire;

(a) handcuffs, thumbcuffs or other similar restraints; or

(b) nunchaku or kung-fu sticks or any similar device which consists of 2 hard non-flexible sticks, clubs, pipes or rods connected by a length of rope, cord, wire or chain constructed or designed to be used in connection with the practice of a system of self-defence and which if used offensively against a person is or are capable of causing bodily harm; or

(c) any baton or billy club; or

(d) any studded glove which if used offensively against a person is capable of causing bodily harm.

CURRENT Legislation (Which no longer gives any excuse for having a billy club)

Restricted items (Act,s 67)

The following items are restricted items for section 67 of the Act--

(a) handcuffs, thumbcuffs or other similar restraints;

(b) nunchaku or kung-fu sticks or any similar device which consists of 2 hard non-flexible sticks, clubs, pipes or rods connected by a length of rope, cord, wire or chain constructed or designed to be used in connection with the practice of a system of self-defence and which if used offensively against a person is or are capable of causing bodily harm;

(c) a billy club, a baton or any device constructed or designed as a telescopic baton, not being a toy or a category M weapon, that if used is capable of causing bodily harm;

(d) any studded glove which if used offensively against a person is capable of causing bodily harm.

So it used to be ok for a fisho to legally have a billy, but not anymore unfortunately, which is not good.

This law is obviously aimed at those with bad intentions, and not fisho's, but it now affects all of us. It would be nice to be able to be in compliance with the law. It's something all fisho's need to be aware of.

I reckon the powers that be must have forgot about the thousands of fisho's that have billy clubs, when they changed
the legislation. I think another amendment is in order, so that we can all be good law abiding citizens again. ;)

Gazza
13-04-2005, 03:05 AM
(c) a billy club, a baton or any device constructed or designed as a telescopic baton, not being a toy or a category M weapon, that if used is capable of causing bodily harm;

Capt...
on your boat, don't call it a billy club or baton and make sure it's not telescopic ( :-[ like a club-lock :-[ )

It's officially "now" a nulla-nulla ,or priest or fish-donger or fish-pacifier

WHO clubs Billy's anyway!! ;)