PDA

View Full Version : The Price Of Fuel Will It stop You Going Fishing

redspeckle
11-04-2005, 05:04 PM
They reckon price of fuel going to $3:00 a litre in near future thats what say on the news
It won't stop me from going fishing, life is to short what ever the price is ?
Be interesting what you follow Ausfisher's out their what you think its going to be & will it stop you ???

Mitch

James_V17L
11-04-2005, 05:22 PM
It will never stop me fishing...but I will have to stop towing my boat with my Statesman(355 Stroker)Fuel guzzler.

basserman
11-04-2005, 06:09 PM
well when your buisness os drive a truck then the little bit it cost to tow to the ramp dosn't seem to worrie you however it is makeing the dision on what motor to next get for a new boat more importaint ;)

Kerry
11-04-2005, 06:53 PM
So if people are really really really serious just about fishing then they would obviously get into something with a 8hp yanmar and the price of fuel is simply a non event. You know something to actually watch the world go by #;D

Really why do we need a couple of hundred horses or even a handful of hourses to go fishing, fuel doesn't stop anybody from going fishing if that's really what they want to do, fuel is simply an excuse, maybe it's time to consider the "other "options. #

Cheers, Kerry.
#

adrian
12-04-2005, 03:27 AM
it would be nice to think that it won't stop me fishing but if it goes too high then have to go land based . un fortunatly for me the boat is a luxury i have too many other bilss that must come first

anzac

Jr._Deckie
12-04-2005, 03:56 AM
[smiley=smitten.gif] [smiley=smitten.gif] [smiley=smitten.gif] [smiley=smitten.gif] ahahh i love me 25 f/s yammie even more!! even at $3.00 a liter my average trip to the bay or close shoals wouldn't cost more than $30.00!! no wonder i wax the prop after every trip #[smiley=heart.gif] [smiley=heart.gif] & give her a cuddle before bed. #:-X :-X :-X sorry guy it's BigE the little deckie forgot to sign out AGAIN

-spiro-
12-04-2005, 04:07 AM
If petrol hit $3 dollars, i'd have to cut slots in the hull and supply my deckies{slaves} with oars ;D. So the answer to your question is ???- I'd pay any price for a day on the water 8)

finga64
12-04-2005, 04:20 AM
Never stop me from going fishing, that's why I have a itty biddy boat and a 5 m. Fuel used in the 'big' boat per trip is never more then 30L and even if the price gets to $3/l it's still only $60 for the trip if we use live bait. ;D
How much does a day at Dreamworld, Waterworld or Wallyworld cost for a day???
A day fishing with the family or mates is priceless if you do a cost/benefit analysis and take into consideration all the benefits (especially families)and that's even if you don't catch a feed.
Companies spend mega bucks for group bonding sessions for the benefits-just take everybody fishing ;D They'll either get along like a house on fire or kill each other with the billy clubs (but that another thread, sorry ;)), but it would sort everybody out :)
Hey Kerry, If I followed your logic my little 13 footer would use less fuel with a little motor (please correct me if I'm wrong). I used to have a 9.5hp and it used a tank of petrol checking the crab traps in 2 trips. I went up to a 25hp (turned into a 30hp) and I use 1/2 tank now for 2 crabbing trips to the same place and it's a lot faster ;D
Small motor doesn't mean better economy otherwise they'd have 2 litre Hyundi motors in the Kenworth. :P.
I agree with Basserman. The decision on motor choice will be paramount.
No matter the price of fuel the dedicated will go fishing. Where there's a will there's a way. ;D

Kerry
12-04-2005, 04:32 AM
Finga, nah just going back to the putt putt era [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] and a bit mroe than 13 feet.

....I used to have a 9.5hp and it used a tank of petrol checking the crab traps in 2 trips. I went up to a 25hp (turned into a 30hp) and I use 1/2 tank now ....

I use 1/2 a tank too (~250 liitres) maybe I could double the tank and then I'd only burn 1/4 tank [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Cheers, Kerry.

Bosunsmate
12-04-2005, 04:50 AM
Startin to think that my little 3.6 with 2 stroke 25 rude on the back aint so bad after all.......25l tank can last me a few trips up the creek and back.....at $3/l thats $75 per tank then there is oil on top of that which has got to go up as well.......lets see, fuel up from .97 to 3.00 = oil up from $6 - $18/l so its going push the tank of fuel up to about $80....divide that between half a dozen trips makes for about $13 a trip......

Will take a bit more than that to stop me going fishing....minister for war and finance may have other ideas but thats another story...

Kiktz
12-04-2005, 05:29 AM
Don't think it would ever stop me from fishing but I would have to agree with James that a change of car may be needed as the V8's are worse than the boat when towing.

Just wonder how this is going to affect the prices of Charters???

baldyhead
12-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Oh well....just hafta sell more black market fish to cover the extra fuel costs....?

basserman
12-04-2005, 02:38 PM
ahhh bugger it
stuff all this 2stroke 4stroke etec hdpi talk think i might be better off just hangin a dozen or so electric mottors off the back :P
while there is fish there will always be crazy mad blokes willing to turn their wallets out into the boats to go fishing
to me it is more than a sport or even a lifestyle it is more a additcive mad kind of passion
i'm sure if i moved more than half a hours drive from the water i would die ;)

Burley_Boy
12-04-2005, 06:10 PM
Must say that the reason I don't go and get a new boat is actually based on the petrol guzzlers fitted. I have a 40HP that gets me fishing for $20-$30 so double or triple and I don't give a toss but I do consider fuel in my boat choice as I just feel too guilty otherwise.
Considering a new boat with an inboard as it seems very very efficient.

mono
13-04-2005, 03:44 PM
I been thinkin' bout puttin' a sail on me charter boat ;) Good for the slow troll but!!

Daintreeboy
13-04-2005, 06:15 PM
bloke I know chucked a sail on his boat (fairly big one). Saved a mint in diesel chugging up tot he fishing grounds using the SE trade winds.
A bit difficult us poor blokes with girls wanting us home by days end though ::)

Bashir
13-04-2005, 07:14 PM
hey kerry that 8hp yanmar wont get my 20ft signature 20km offshore and trolling all day very efficiently would it. ;D a good day out wide can cost me up to $300in fuel (200hp efi 2 stroke >:() I normally fill 200l for 1.20 anyway so its already getting expensive, I'll be fishing the rivers if it ever hit $3 per litre. Im only a student and I trying to operate such a rig is a strain on the hip pocket that's for sure. Thank God dad pays for the servicing and I only pay for the fuel and any mods I want to do. :o