PDA

View Full Version : A Square up??

kc
14-04-2005, 05:39 AM
The “Square-up” has started!

For those that missed it, in Mondays Courier Mail was a headline story titled.

FUNDS CUT SEEN AS PLY TO GAG ENVIRONMENT GROUPS.

Me thinks this is the first shot of a Government about to control the senate after years of having to pander to Bob Brown and his mates.

The Queensland Conservation Council…one of whose newsletters called recreational fishing “a barbaric pastime with no place in a modern society” has had its funding slashed from $92K to $10K……and they, along with said Mr Brown, are squealing like stuck pigs.

Seems they may have backed the wrong horse by siding so strongly with Labor in election after election

The whole piece is a very interesting read…maybe someone with the computer smarts can post a link on Ausfish.com.au to the story, written by Steve Wardill.

Just go to show the level of funding available to organisations, which play key balance of power roles.

Just image if rec fishing ever worked its way into such a position!!!

KC

Volvo
14-04-2005, 05:47 AM
;)Watched that KC and was my thoughts exactly...

DR
14-04-2005, 06:19 AM
this is the only one i could find..
http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,12825215%255E953,00.html

gunna
14-04-2005, 06:55 AM
Lets just hope that somewhere in the corridors of power someone has realised that the rec fisho played a major part in them getting control of the Senate. It certainly hasn't been noticed by the NSW State Government whose minister for all things fishy seems hell bent on pandering to the pro trawling/long lining brigade.

gif
14-04-2005, 07:10 AM
Funds cut "ploy to gag greens''
Steven Wardill
12apr05

THE Howard Government has been accused of gagging influential environment protection groups with major funding cuts which may force their demise.

The Queensland Conservation Council, which played a leading role in controversial state land-clearing laws, will be the biggest loser.

Federal Environment Minister Ian Campbell yesterday revealed the Government would put a $10,000 cap on funding under the Grants to Voluntary Environment and Heritage Organisations scheme.

The move comes amid a major row over state and federal responsibilities and commonwealth plans to cut states out and deal directly with some sectors, including health and education.

The biggest recipient under the GVEHO scheme, the QCC, will see its annual funding drop from $92,000 in 2003/04 to $10,000 in 2004/05.

Senator Campbell defended the reduced funding, saying it would prevent green groups splurging on "administrative costs" rather than environmental programs.

"I've got no doubt that right across the country we're spending far too much on bureaucracy and administration and we need to make sure more of it gets to the pointy end," he said.

Senator Campbell said changes to the funding arrangement also would allow the Federal Government to give grants to smaller groups.

But QCC co-ordinator Toby Hutcheon told The Courier-Mail the council's viability was in limbo and jobs might have to be slashed.

"We are in a precarious position because we have spent our money on the basis that we would be getting the usual amount this year," he said.

Mr Hutcheon said new eligibility criteria meant the group may not even get $10,000 and its ability to advocate would be greatly reduced.

"We need the money to participate in the government process and the public debate on important issues," he said.

The QCC is credited for its role in Queensland's land clearing laws – which the Federal Government backflipped on plans to fund after a rural uproar. But the group has supported Canberra on its World Heritage and Great Barrier Reef protection schemes.

The changes to the program will see another 13 environmental groups suffer significant cuts along with most state-based conservation councils.

Opposition environment spokesman Anthony Albanese said the cuts were not just an attack on environment groups but on the democratic process.

"This can only be seen as a back-door way to try and silence these groups," he said.

Mr Albanese said it was integral to environment groups that they advocate particular issues rather than "just plant trees".

The new threat comes two months after a letter was sent to all funded environment groups threatening to remove their tax deductibility status.

Greens Senator Bob Brown said the Government had "knifed" groups that had for decades been the heart of the protecting the environment.

"Meanwhile the Federal Government pours hundreds of millions into the coal industry which brazenly opposes the ratification of the Kyoto protocol," Senator Brown said.

kc
14-04-2005, 07:47 AM
Hi Gunna,

I think we have been noticed. I am getting regular updates from Senator Boswell and he has championed the Arlington Reef pontoon issue on our behalf, and successfully. I actually had a call fro him yesterday regarding a major announcement on the mooted rezoning in the Northern Territroy. I am awaiting full details but it is fair to say it will be a very positive outcome for rec fishers (compared to what was originally proposed). We take no credit for this as I know the NT Government & AFANT have done the hard yards, all we have done is cleared the wax out of a few ears in Government and a number to hang their hat on as far as potential votes.

The NSW Government is a state Labor issue , who are still very much beholden to the greens and driven by a need to maintain the green political support. They will take no notice of us until a point can be made in their next election. I would hope (but it is not up to me) that TFP.NSW will stand upper house candidates and get active.

Unfortunately all my available time is spent on Qld issues and I really don't know what is going on in NSW other than to catch the occassional bit of news in the fishing press.

If you are based in NSW, why not touch base with TFP.NSW and get involved?

KC

gunna
14-04-2005, 08:02 AM
Because KC - by the end of the year I will have returned home after a 30yr absence - and be a member of the QLD FP [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] - and NSW can go to >>>>>>

SeaHunt
14-04-2005, 08:07 AM
Voluntary Environment and Heritage Organisations. #???
So any buch of rat bags can get together under this banner and get Govt funding. #??? # That is not where I want any of my tax dollars going. There are enough official Govt. departments wasting money in this area already, like the EPA and GBRMPA etc. without volunteer groups getting into the act.

The Queensland Conservation Council, which played a leading role in controversial state land-clearing laws, will be the biggest loser.
Good , what a ballsup that was , land clearing laws had the opposite affect to what they wanted to achieve.
Farmers knew for over 12 months that the laws were coming and quickly cleared everything they thought they might want cleared in the next 100 years in one go. ::) So if they go under , good riddance to shite I say.
Other programs would have been much more effective than making laws that further erode peoples rights. #:P

First good thing Johnny and the boys have done in a long time.
It amused me to see Costello on the tele last night saying in the future we wont be able to support our aging population, and we have to do something now, well Pete, here is a novel idea , how about saving some money, instead of wasting or giving it all away.

I am sure those Indonesians he gave $1 billion dollars to will be there for us when we are old age pensioners starving in the streets. # :P