PDA

View Full Version : Luremaker's help needed

Nugget
15-04-2005, 03:43 AM
I received an email asking for help to assist a disabled boy at a north side special school.
For legal reasons I can't post many details, however here is part of his teacher's email.

"One of our young men has a huge desire to learn about making Lures.
The problem is he is Blind and in need of a great deal of help.
We at the school try and find work for most of the Children but in this case it just can't happen.
The next thing we do is to try and involve the children in some kind of activity that will help keep their minds busy.
His love is fishing.
We have tried to locate someone who knows about making fishing lures.
I have phoned fishing clubs but it would seem that most of those buy in their lures if they even use them.
This is something we cannot find in a book, I've looked.
Is there some one you can think of who may be able to give us a hand?”

If anyone can help please contact me direct
nugget@ausfish.com.au

Dave ><>

Gorilla_in_Manila
15-04-2005, 04:29 AM
Nugget,
Can't help the lad myself sorry (being overseas for the forseeable future) but maybe the teacher might benefit from having a look at the info on the lures online site and work out what sort of lures he would be most capable of making.
http://www.luresonline.com.au/

I also just read there is a new 321 page book out called "The Book of Lures" by Ron Calcutt and Tim Simpson RRP $39.95 which might be useful.

If the teacher had a look at the different types of lures, he / she might be able to suggest a more specific activity that suits. Eg shaping wooden lures on a bench sander might be a bit dangerous, but tying flies or assembling spinnerbaits from kit componets might be more appropriate. Then someone with the specific expertise may be able to better assist.
Good Luck.
Cheers
Jeff

devocean
15-04-2005, 05:23 AM
Poppers are easy to make out of broom handles

DR
15-04-2005, 05:26 AM
isn't there a luremaker as a member here.. BlitzBagga from memory. He may or may not be able to point you in the right direction.
Cheers

rando
15-04-2005, 06:28 AM
Try giving Brad Smith a call he makes lures. He often advertises in BnB maRando

Jethro
15-04-2005, 06:55 AM
Have a look at www.luremaking.com theer is some great info on there. Have a look at the downloads page and there are a number of how to sheets available.

Another option might be to buy the young fella a few hard body blanks that he can paint himself. Not quite making them from scratch but I'm sure he would get a kick out catching a fish on one he had painted all the same

caloundra
15-04-2005, 07:43 AM
nugget
check your PM

Daniel