PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Table

Ratman
13-04-2005, 01:56 PM
I am in the process of making a free standing filleting table using a piece of 600 x 1500 x 15mm plywood inserted for the cutting board. I believe that the white plastic stuff???? to be expensive,so I'll go with the plywood. I was planning on making it removable to keep it from the weather. The question being what to seal the timber with. I was thinking of a light vege oil of some sort as I don't want to poison myself.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Mick

Nathanrb4
13-04-2005, 02:04 PM
get "Form ply" and just seal the ends.

Volvo
13-04-2005, 04:04 PM
:)Go like nathan sez and make it outa formply, 12/12.5 ml for for your cleaning board is great..Good coat of exterior water based paint should see it last some years without bother..If you make the frame with hardwood all the better, only thing you MIGHT have to replace will be the Ply Cleaning board after many years...
Mines into its 7th year now and only just thinking of applying another coat of paint..
Just make sure that when you make it , its at aheight you can comfortably work with..
Saves a lot of back probs..
PS, mine sits in the weather each n every day and acts as my seed tray bench:) when not in use cleaning Fish..Everything is screwed or bolted together not probs..
Cheers

CHRIS_aka_GWH
14-04-2005, 03:32 PM
i use one of those $59 aluminium folding work platforms from Bunnings & a piece of the same width & length 19mm radiata pine rubbed down with canola oil to suit. The wood has lugs on one side that fit into the platforms gaps to stop movement & the woods length is slightly longer than the platform top so at one end I cut holes to hold the 3 cleaning & cutting knives & a set of pliers.

I like it as it is transportable in the back of the Landy & can be wacked out in a jiffy on a surf beach or at home in the sideway. It is adjustable in height to three levels. I use it for cleaning (I stand it in the surf wash) & also as a cutting table for baits - it beats the hell out of knealing to slice up a bonito when your legs are getting weary from an allnighter & gives you somewhere to sit for that 2am coffee other than in the car (have you ever tried sitting in an old Landy in full wading gear #:-/)

The only thing to watch is to make sure you get the Galvanised hinge version from the hardware not the painted hinge from a discount store version & then give the hinges & return springs a good wipe with a thick grease. Mine is in its second year now without any noticeable rust - but I do look after my stuff.

You need to ensure the wood is thoroughly dried before oiling & every so often scrubb it down with detergent & water - let dry & reoil.

This is the closest image of the kind of thing I could find but isn't the exact product.

Lucky_Phill
14-04-2005, 05:39 PM
or this

Ratman
15-04-2005, 01:57 PM
Thanks guys for the info. Some great examples. I'll put them to good use. cheers, mick.

p.s Just got back from Donnybrook and never saw so many Fishing Inspectors in my life. They wre going at least two shifts, all hours, the two days I was there. Checking crabs/pots mainly. Good to see. What going on there????

rossco
15-04-2005, 03:56 PM
Get an old iorning board, the type with slotted mesh on top ,stops fish from sliding around

whynott
15-04-2005, 03:57 PM
Hi guys,
Try an ironing board.
Perfect height.
No more sore back.
The misses will love it when you buy her a new ironing board. ;)
Cheers Graham.

mako_5.2
15-04-2005, 05:26 PM
Ratman
They had the boating fisheries mother ship anchored up near the Bribie bridge for the day with the inflateables running around everywhere. Never came near us. I have never seen it before.

Robbo_Townsville
15-04-2005, 05:33 PM
I made mine from some Fascia boards. With legs that are on hinges so they fold in and the whole thing lays flat up aginst the shed wall when not in use. It is fixed to the wall and at the right height ... perfect right underneath the tap.

Can post a pic if you like.

Daintreeboy
15-04-2005, 06:12 PM
Ron I hope your reading this thread ;D

Ratman
16-04-2005, 04:19 AM
A mate of mine (Horse) suggested using Liquid Parafin to seal the timber with. I've got a piece of construction ply, so I'll go with the for the present. Also a mate of a mate is welding up a stand for me, something with a larger base so it won't tip over.
The blokes I spoke to about the Fisheries said they were pretty good and handed out crab measures. They didn't check my reef raider but certainly did a fair work out on the tinnies and pulling pots up.
mick