PDA

View Full Version : A Current affair last nite- no boat insurance

jugs
14-04-2005, 01:43 PM
Did u all see the story on ACA last nite about the fella who lost his wife through a boating accident near North Stradbroke Island a few years ago? I was so sad for him and his children. :'( [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif]
The most frightening part of the story is that he didnt have any insurance on his boat, so he lost his wife, lost his boat, and just about lost everything else paying for his own medical expenses. Gotta make you think !
I hope everyone here has boat insurance!

Dug
14-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Did he not have life insurance on his wife?

A pain to think about but if you have kids to bring up you must have the protection of it.

jugs
14-04-2005, 01:56 PM
From what they were saying on ACA, he didnt have any insurance, and is near to losing everything. Poor fella.............

devocean
14-04-2005, 02:17 PM
I like most tinny owners dont have boat insurance because it just dosnt pay. Its about 360 bucks a year whichis shocking considering my car full comprehensive is only 50 bucks dearer.

deb
14-04-2005, 02:29 PM
Hope you leave it high & dry when camping overnight. :o 3rd party damage, ouch ;)
Our little quinny & 25johno is only 130/yr , worth checking around.

propdinger
14-04-2005, 02:34 PM
i have a tinnie 3.5mtr, 15hp, 4hp, trailer and gear all insured for around $140
very cheap compaired to hitting a mustang or charter boat etc :o :o :o

Bosunsmate
14-04-2005, 02:55 PM
I can understand why some people don't have insurance.

I am medically retired and between the recent interest rate hike, the health insurance hike, life insurance hikes and the ridiculously idiotic price of fuel we are not overly financial. So I can understand why people do not have insurance......

All the same I do sympathise with anyone who goes through this trauma.

bungie
14-04-2005, 02:55 PM
jugs,

It wasnt his boat, it was his mates, girlfriends, dads, boat. she was driving it when it hit the mangroves and killed the first guys wife, and smashed his ankle. The owners had no third party insurance on the boat, and no ski policy either. The suggestion was that third party insurance should be part of the rego for boats.

Boxhead
14-04-2005, 03:29 PM
Accidents happen and people die :'(...... Not a good outcome..... The important thing is to make sure you and your family are covered.... I know it sounds hard but I don't have sympathy for people who are not insured.... However, I do feel for the victims and their families.

We are bombarded with people on ACA, Today Tonight, etc that may have had their house burnt to the ground or something similar... These people always seem to get a new house, or someone donates a frigging kidney or a testicle etc....

These high class citizens always seem to have a smoke in their mouth and no doubt beers in the fridge, and spend pay day hugging a pokie!!!! >:(

Get Insurance!!!!!!

Nath..

Heath
14-04-2005, 04:04 PM
I like most tinny owners dont have boat insurance because it just dosnt pay. Its about 360 bucks a year whichis shocking considering my car full comprehensive is only 50 bucks dearer.

Not if you run into a $50K rig, or accidently mow down a swimmer. Money well spent IMO.

snappa
14-04-2005, 04:23 PM
:o

never had the cat insured for 15 years or so..who said fishing is not risky business.. ;D :P

but i have corrected my ways now and will have the next one insured for sure... ::)

Spaniard_King
14-04-2005, 05:03 PM
It's interesting to hear peoples thoughts on Insurance. When do people concider they don't need insurance?

Previously I did have a boat without insurance, it was only when I started fishing outside I took up insurance. That was because I thought 5k was too much to loose. Heath is right, your boat might be worth $$$ but what about the rest of ya assets???

Garry

Burley_Boy
14-04-2005, 05:04 PM
Didn't see the show as I've found ACA and a few shows like it are sensationalising most of their stories and often lack facts. Crap journalism IMO. This story might have been different.
Sad stuff happens all the time that aint fair and not just from accidents, we take a calculated risk every morning by getting up so enjoy life while you can.
So what insurance companies would people recccomend??

neria
14-04-2005, 05:18 PM
Jugs totally agree with you 3rd party insurance with boat rego compulsary, then no problem I reakon
Cheers

trout3030
14-04-2005, 06:07 PM
Not being a boat owner can someone tell me if insurance/rego on a boat is the same as car? Does boat rego include compulsory 3rd party and thus cover you if you injure someone else? Then if you wish to ocver for the damage your boat may cause to property you would need to take out 3rd part property damage insurance.

madman1
14-04-2005, 06:35 PM
Tha calculation of boat insurance is hard to fathom. I have a newish ford laser in the front yard that gets driven every day and costs around $500 per year to fully insure (rating three or there abouts).

I have a brand new stacer 525 cuddy in the shed that goes out on the water say 52 times a year and the bloody insurance on the boat is around $600 per year. Work that out.

The crowd I go through (RACQ) have ratings for boat insurance depending on how many years you have had the thing insured.

If anyone out there knows of a cheaper please let me know!

Cheers

bungie
14-04-2005, 06:37 PM
Boat rego holds NO insurance component

BS
14-04-2005, 06:37 PM
Third Party Liability Insurance is to protect the policy holder - the person who paid the money to the insurer to provide cover for them.

If you want to be insured against injury - get your own insurance - don't rely on someone else's cover to help you.

It shouldn't have to take compulsory insurance to protect people against their own lack of foresight.

If you can live with the risk, don't insure. If you don't insure, don't ask for handouts when the sh@t hits the fan. only one person to blame then.

Fishinmishin
14-04-2005, 06:51 PM
Well, I guess I should look into it :-[, especially the way I drive the rig. A bit of an idea of some cheap insurers would be greatly appriciated.
Cheers, Jay

Big_unit
14-04-2005, 10:59 PM
Yep I would like to know where to look for cheap boat insurance.

Cheers
James.

jugs
15-04-2005, 02:46 AM
:o

never had the cat insured for 15 years or so..who said fishing is not risky business.. ;D :P

but i have corrected my ways now and will have the next one insured for sure... ::)
I'd hope so snappa!!! I aint gettin on your boat without it!!!

Rusty_Hook
15-04-2005, 04:01 AM
I switched from Club Marine to Suncorp last year, and I still get the Club Marine Magazine!

cooky
15-04-2005, 04:30 AM
i think my insurance is around $400 to $600 per year with ski policy, etc. $500 excess (i think). 5.4m glass boat. It's with Suncorp - another insurance company dude (friend) told me they're the best / cheapest for boats. not sure if true, but they've been good in the past with other insurance issues (car stolen last year).

stunnedmullet
15-04-2005, 04:45 AM
I was very recently quoted $320 pa by Club Marine for a 420 quintrex explorer with a 30hp Yammy.
I then called RACQ(who I have my comprehensive car insurance with) and they quoted me $180 pa.
Both quotes covered the same policy areas of comprehensive cover.
Boat insured for 10K with $100 excess.
Pays to shop around ;D

Bosunsmate
15-04-2005, 05:07 AM
I have had NRMA for a year now and will be going back to Club Marine it is a bit cheaper for my little tub..........Coverage is much the same for all of them.

I agree that CTP should be made a component of boat rego however the general marine insurance is for me and my own peace of mind and worth every penny, after all what happens if I hit a submerged object with no insurance, I'm outta pocket big time....:( at least with insurance I only gotta find the excess.

Pwoida
15-04-2005, 05:11 AM
I think your boat has more chance of being damaged on the trip to the ramp than on the water. I doubt that the third party insurance on the trailer covers the boat (or does it?). It just takes someone without insurance running up your rear end and your up for some expensive transom repairs, not to mention a written off outboard. I often use the Gateway to get to various ramps and its always a nervous experience. I think insurance is the way to go.

JB
15-04-2005, 10:26 AM
Suncorp boating insurance was the best thing i ever did, ... Brand new boat... forgot the bung.... ruined a 9k merc ??? and they replaced it without question ;D. I would never be without it, the 3rd party insurance is peace of mind too.

Jas

Sandman
15-04-2005, 10:51 AM
Pwoida i think thats the time your boat is cover by third party when its on the trailer!
Its all over the top if you ask me .
Snappa i would say driving a car was high risk ! boating is equally a risk.
I make sure i am allways insured however it would be nice to reduce my high costs in insurance somehow if anyone knows a place to insure 6.5 glass at a lower rate than CM let me know as mine is due soon.
Mick

kevy
15-04-2005, 01:44 PM
hi all. 5.3 seafarer hull, trailer. 90hp johno,$215.44 total agreed value $10,360, excess $200. nrma. it,s not much but if it,s stolen etc. i,m covered, cheers, kevy. ;) ;)

deb
15-04-2005, 02:46 PM
Suncorp
5.7m 5yr Whittley with 90, 2yr 385 explorer trophy with 25hp both on their own trailers, $1000 for accessories, $100 excess,
$475.00 a year for me. or if i pay monthly $48.00
cheap piece of mind.
Definately shop around ;)

magicpudding
15-04-2005, 02:49 PM
From talking to others, and experiences with our own boat, it seems suncorp may be the go. We're still with club marine, but the new rig is going to be with suncorp. It's also worth checking if you get a discount if you're a coastguard member. I know as an associate member of the mooloolaba coastguard, we get a discount with suncorp.

CJ

adrian
16-04-2005, 03:15 AM
hi guys
READ the fine print on what it covers and ask them about the what if someone steals from the boat is it covered ? you will be surprised by the answer when you claim. eg an open tinnie, stuff is only covered if it's in a locked cabin i'm out a thousand cause of these words ' a locked cabin ' on an open tinnie ? or if you get swamped and gear goes over the side tough.the gear fell over the side
the insurance company has been mentioned . charter boat what charter boat#:-X

BigE
16-04-2005, 06:16 AM
who would put that cheap black&gold recycled oil in their new (or old) outboard?? but were all looking for cheap insurance #::) #read your policey and see what u get then decide if u want to buy it....... btw mines a $1200 policy covers two cars me tinny motor & trailer and everything in them for everything except a terrorist attack or war. so unless i hit a U Boat i'm covered......................... (never thought of it before but i must check if i can claim all those SP's that get stolen) morale of the story u get what u pay 4 & sometimes what u ask 4.............. RACQ btw.