PDA

View Full Version : Unique Gaff

rando
15-04-2005, 05:50 PM
Saw a couple of blokes use a speargun to gaff fish off the rocks. I thought that it was a good Idea especilly if you fish solo(Yeah I know solo off the rocks is not real smart , but I never claimed to be smart).The only down side I can see is you better be a good shot cause you'll only get one go.What do you blokes/girls think,, good Idea??
Rando

Daintreeboy
15-04-2005, 06:02 PM
If it had rubbers then they shouldn't last too long. I was always taught not to load them out of the water as the rubber would perish quicker. Not cheap either.
Cheers, Mark.

Boxhead
16-04-2005, 03:05 AM
Rando,

Mate, very dangerous... Never heard of this before.... Maybe a side B side 12 gauge is the answer :)...

Nath...

rando
16-04-2005, 05:02 AM
Boxhead
The objective of the exercise is to obtain fish fillets not fish soup ;) ::)
Cheers
Rando

agnes_jack
16-04-2005, 05:09 AM
I saw some blokes at Noosa national park doing that, seemed like a reasonable idea :-/
They were using a pneumatic gun that had a line reel on the side connected to the spear.

Regards, Tony

Maria
16-04-2005, 05:36 AM
Good idea I guess, considering the dangers that can be often associated with rock fishing (i.e...wet rocks, waves pounding lower ledges etc). However, as Daintree boy said the constant stretching and instantaneous slackening (upon firing) of the rubbers on dry land will lead to the rubber perishing quite quickly. Bending spear shafts would be a problem too. So probably only worth doing with an old cheap speargun.

finga64
16-04-2005, 05:45 AM
sounds dodgy and dangerous to me. Why not go the full hog and jump in the brinny and use the speargun??

NeilD
16-04-2005, 06:03 AM
Flying gaff sounds safer. Slippery rocks and a loaded speargun sounds a bit dodgy to me.

rando
16-04-2005, 06:46 AM
Finga
Im a pisces mate no way im jumping in with the noahs, Id be the first thing on the menu, :D
Cheers Rando

devocean
16-04-2005, 07:11 AM
Firing a speargun out of water is illegal and very dangerous as they often shoot low out of the water.

Mick
16-04-2005, 08:32 AM
Nup, don't reccomend it. Why go to so much bother? I will garauntee you will lose more fish at the boat spearing them then gaffing them. Take into account (1) moving fish - hard to aim, ruin fillets (2) a misshit will likely result in an angry fish which will break free, (3) when aiming from land to water you have to take into concideration the magnify affect water has, so aiming at a fish in the water from land is very difficult, especially on a 45 degree angle or from out of a boat, (4) a speargun is heeps more expensive then a gaff, (5) you have more control over the fish if it is gaffed, (6) if fishing by yourself, you won't be able to stop midway catching a fish and load a gun which means the gun will have to be loaded while you are fishing which is crazy and (7) if you are going to spear it, you'd want to be realy close to the fish and if your close enough to spear it then you are close enough to gaff it.

Oh, and (8) if you are taking a speargun its more fun to take goggles, weight belts, fins, mask, gloves and a wetsuit and just hunt them yourself.