PDA

View Full Version : Do you think this is a concern ?

bugman
14-04-2005, 07:13 AM
Gents,

Some of you may be aware I snapped the bottom 3-4 inches off my skeg coming into Raby Bay a while ago. Finally got around to fixing it as part of last weeks general service and other odds and sods at the local dealer.

Dealer told me they had someone who could do it after they dropped the leg. It was $130 just for the rebuild.

As I hooked the boat up in the yard I noticed the angle. The dealer hadn't looked or didn't notice but said he had now noted it - if it caused problems in the water. Photo doesn't do real justice to the bend - or curve, which goes to the left and is quite prominant.

Have taken it for a run yet but what do you guys reckon.

Bugman

Fishin_Dan
14-04-2005, 07:16 AM
I think you should straight back to the shop where you bought it from, and tell them that your sidchrome shifter is bent! ;D ;D ;D

Sorry mate... Had to do it... ::) :-X

Big_unit
14-04-2005, 07:20 AM
Bugman,
Nah mate, if you paid for the repair then a proper job is in order. Take it back and tell them you want it right. Just my thoughts. Big question is, Are you happy with it ?

Cheers
James.

Bosunsmate
14-04-2005, 07:27 AM
I'm with James, pay good $$$ to get the job done right..........do the job right to get the big $$$$

Take it back and get them to fix it

mackmauler
14-04-2005, 07:29 AM
Brett, the pics have me stumped, is it the skeg thats not straight or the leg?

bugman
14-04-2005, 07:33 AM
Rob - definitely the skeg. It acutally sorta curves from where they made the join.

I don't even know who did it has the boat shop organised the repair externally.

The issue I have is time - as mid next week I'm heading to North West for a fortnight and don't really have the time to take it back and wait for repair - I'm cramming at work.

I will definitely be taking it back after north west - but I'm just interested in people's opinion as to whether I should notice it while driving.

Brett

mini696
14-04-2005, 07:42 AM
I doubt you'll notice. But saying that I'd take it back after your trip.

agnes_jack
14-04-2005, 08:08 AM
Brett
I don't think it would cause a noticable difference, but the job should be done right.
I would take it back after the North West trip for shore.
Worst comes to worst you may have to correct your steering technique so you don't do circles around the island for the whole trip. ;) :-/ 8)

Regards, Tony ;D ;D ;D

cooky
14-04-2005, 08:15 AM
i doubt very much you'll notice at all. My skeg is bent quite a bit worse than that and I don't notice at all.

mini696
14-04-2005, 09:07 AM
The biggest problem that it may cause is cavitation during turns. Thats the only hassle I can think of.

after7
14-04-2005, 11:37 AM
it may affect the resale value if its not fixed even if it doesn't affect performance.Take it back but warn the shop now and take it when you have the time.

getwet
14-04-2005, 03:21 PM
just dont put a straight edge near it ever again and on one will ever notice.
oh what type of motor is it ? just in case you ever go to sell it. :-X :-X

roz
14-04-2005, 04:27 PM
Brett,

GET IT FIXED TO YOUR SATISFACTION, NOT THEIRS.

I did a really really bad thing to the prop on my old outboard, when a rock jumped out at me whilst I was steaming across Kingscliff bar.

I settled for a bit of a dodgey job and paid the price a bit later on.

Roz

Spaniard_King
14-04-2005, 04:37 PM
Brett,

Please be aware each time you weld alluminium it weakens it, Also the more heat you pour into the area adjactent to the Gearbox Seal the likelyhood of warping the seal surface is increased. The slight bend that you have will not have a noticeable impact on the performance of the boat.

IMO you should wait till the next time you break it off to clarrify the quality of the repair :-X No one will ever be able to repair a broken fin on an outboard Gearbox back to original strength.

cheers

Garry

Gazza
14-04-2005, 04:59 PM
Bugman ,we'll let you know ,after the finfish dicking around 'project' is completed....
#:o :P :-X ;D

Mate ,TALK to the people who "did" the job ,findout & ASK #;)

IF you consider that you normally have a Zinc? anode that doubles as a steering balance? that normally goes to the 'right' i.e. above your prop....

It MAY in fact , reduce the tendancy to 'pull' #the motor to oneside(more noticable with a tiller-steer) ,and be a 'bonus' in that your 'anode' would be nearly straight with the waterflow ,past your prop.
(hard to tell ,with hydraulic or maybe cable steering)

Summary #;D
stop dicking around with finfish restrictions,unnecessarily ,and curve may be 'on purpose' in motor straight-line performance #???
[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

neria
14-04-2005, 05:06 PM
Bret,
Just find time to show the repair guy what your on about befor you go so he is awere of any problem, from past experience if there is any drama he im sure like alot of these guys say hey it was fine when it left here, not being sinical off the job but these little things all cost $
Cheers

bigdan123
14-04-2005, 05:33 PM
im with gazza i think ??? ;)

Lucky_Phill
14-04-2005, 05:34 PM
I'll check the skeg on ReBait, tomorrow.

The anode usually points to the port side of the boat to counter the " pull ' of the prop. That skeg is pointing a different direction ?

It may help you to turn faster/ sharper in the LH turn than a RH turn.

Will post pic of mine, tomorrow.

Phill

Fishinmishin
14-04-2005, 07:24 PM
You paid for a proper job. If it's gonna bother you then get them to fix it. If it's not worth your time then don't use them again. I got my 90 yammy from stone crn marine some time ago as they were the ones able to put it on 1st. They left all four holes from the previous motor totally unsealed (didn't notice untill 1st trip was camping and when I finally pulled it back on the trailer the under floor was Filled with water- thus I redid my floor this year), lost my tie down strap, left the wiring messy and to rub salt into the wound they spray painted there business name across my trailer. After some harsh words and (woulda loved fists for messing with my baby) I've never gone back to them.
Cheers, Jay

bugman
15-04-2005, 04:13 AM
Thanks everyone for their comments.

I was having another look at it last night - there's definitely a curve but maybe I'm just being pedantic in expecting it to be perfectly straight. I went up the road to Michael's place (Sandman) to have a look at his. He's got the same Honda 130hp. His had been fixed earlier as well and his was worse than mine. He couldn't notice any ill effect.

I'll run it in the water and see how it goes.

Gazza - this one's for you - you've got a reprieve mate ;) Well only for a little while but enjoy the next 12 months.

Bugman

Gazza
15-04-2005, 06:20 AM
;D May your motor push you effortlessly to good fishing grounds...

for 12 months :P

p.s. mate ,it may still be a crappy job ??? , but if somebody gave me a SS prop with cupped blades , i'd probably say , this is faulty...blades are bent :-[

jimbo59
15-04-2005, 07:07 AM
Yeah bugman i wouldnt worry about it it wont do anything wrong but if u take it back there just gunna bang it straight with two bits of wood which will weaken it

to fishinmissin,i had my boat booked in with scm for a water test in bris rivertook i 1/2 day off work, they forgot to turn up then when i rang them from the ramp they told me to get fuud and hung up in my ear,they must be pretty busy over there to do that.

Lucky_Phill
15-04-2005, 12:15 PM
Well Brett, the skeg on ReBait is pretty straight.

Poor photo, but you can see.

Phill

Spaniard_King
15-04-2005, 12:29 PM
Ahh Phil 4 Blade Torquemaster hey, I got one of them [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Garry

CHRIS_aka_GWH
15-04-2005, 01:59 PM
brett,

always approach northwest at half tide with the island to port & the GBR will fix that curve in no time. #;D

How's the lead edge more importantly - that's the one thats breaking the water.

In an environment like the sea with its turbulent nature - I think the greatest concern must be with the strength of the join. I cannot think of two many offshore/inshore trips where seas were so calm at least some constant corrrection wasn't necessary.

Have fun & stay safe on the trip hey!

bugman
16-04-2005, 04:47 AM
Thanks Chris,

6 days to go ;D

MulletMan
16-04-2005, 10:33 AM
From my view of the pic, the worst that could happen is that the boat may have a small tendancy to veer to port. If it does that, then just crank the adjustable trim tab on the skeg around a few notches to counteract the force. Hopefully they should balance each other out! Might be a case of leaving sleeping dogs lie as the dealer will probably heat it and/or beat the hell out of it to get it straight. Either way may weaken the welded joint.....................

Lucky_Phill
16-04-2005, 01:35 PM
6 days to go.

jeez, Feret, ya better get ya butt over to that place for those things ? ::) :-X :o ;D

Phill