baldyhead
17-04-2005, 06:32 AM
Petrol prices - worth thinking about!
>
>
>
> I called the number on the bottom of the email, and it is for real. This
> initiative does come from Barry
> Minster, worth calling and chatting to him if you need reassurance.
>
>
>
> Apparently we are going to hit close to $1.35 a litre by the winter. If
> this happens the prices will flow on
> down to the price of every thing we buy! Want petrol prices to come
> down?
> We need to take some
> intelligent, united action. Philip Hollsworth, offered this good idea.
>
>
>
> This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy petrol on a certain "day"
> campaign that was going
> around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because
> they knew we wouldn't continue
> to "hurt ourselves" by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an
> inconvenience to us than it was a
> problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a
> plan
> that can really work.
>
>
>
> Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to
> think
> that the cost of a litre is
> CHEAP at .89 / .95 cents, we need to take aggressive action to teach them
> that BUYERS control the
> marketplace not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day,
> we
> consumers need to take
> action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is
> if
> we hit someone in the pocket
> by not purchasing their Petrol!
>
>
>
> And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.
>
>
>
> Here's the idea:
>
>
>
> For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest
> oil companies (which now are:
> BP and Mobil). If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined
> to
> reduce their prices. If they reduce
> their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an
> impact, we need to reach literally
> millions of BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!!
>
>
>
> Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain
> how
> simple it is to reach millions of
> people!! I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send it
> to at least ten more (30 x 10 =
> 300) ...and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...
> and
> so on, by the time the
> message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over
> THREE MILLION consumers!
>
>
>
> Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (and not
> buy at BP and Mobil) How long
> would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people
> within one day of receipt, all 300
> MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!!
> I'll bet you didn't think you and I
> had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a
> difference.
> If this makes sense to you,
> please pass this message on.
>
>
>
> PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 80 cents a LITRE
>
> RANGE.
>
>
>
> It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your
> petrol
> at Shell, Caltex, GAS. or Gull
> Outlets and drive past BP and MOBIL Stations.
>
>
>
> Barry Minster
>
> State President
>
> Ex Service, Service & Veterans Party
>
> <outbind://1/www.esvp.asn.au> www.esvp.asn.au
>
> 13 Ermington Place
>
> Kew 3101
>
>
>
> Telephone: 03 9816 9713

baldyhead
17-04-2005, 06:36 AM
A friend sent this to me today and I reckon that it could be a good idea @ least to try ....What do you think?
cheers....baldy

Fishinmishin
17-04-2005, 07:12 AM
YES! ;)
Seriously guys. I recon it's time to take some action. Everyone spends so much time whinging about petrol prices (me included), that you owe it to yourself and everyone else to actually do something productive about it. Don't wait for the next guy to do it as that mentality will get us nowhere. Now all I need is 10 freinds to send it to. Big-unit, can I have your e-mail mate, buddy ;D.
Cheers, Jay

michael_Brewer
17-04-2005, 07:21 AM
must admit, its a good idea that will work if everyone does it

dont think for a second that it wasnt caltex or shell that thought of it! ;)

Fishinmishin
17-04-2005, 07:35 AM
;) Destroying [smiley=behead.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif]the monopoly they all hold will not benefit any of them in the long term. I just sent it out and I've always been using shell (closest to me) and when I used to be in the motor engineering trade it was commonly said that Mobile is the cleanest petrol and therfor burns the best.

Dug
17-04-2005, 08:18 AM
It has been tried before with little or no effect.

Great idea but the marker is so large and demand so high you would need at lease 40 to 50% of them market to respond before anything could happen. Given a choice I buy independent fuel. but with the grocery chains offering 4c discounts I find it hard to avoid being suckered into their servos.

Deception Bay north of Brisbane sells petrol at 8 to 10 c below the others prices ( how do they manage to do that? )

philip_thomson
17-04-2005, 09:27 AM
the main problem with our petrol prices is the TAX we pay on it. 60% of the cost per litre is tax. we are paying huge amounts of tax with money we have already payed tax with.

personally i buy my petrol from either Matilda or woolworths. i find the matilda gives me the better fuel economy.

cheers phil

Volvo
17-04-2005, 09:37 AM
Personally i think the only way you MIGHT!! :-/ have an effect is to drop back in the usage of Fuel as much as possible..Walk, Ride a Bike , do whatever you can to drop the profit margin of whoevers gaining the most..
Some time back was watching some investment programme some Sunday morning and someone was predicting a reccesion for 2006??..
Well according to Sunrise on Seven the other morning, it was said that if the fuel gets to $1.50 a litre it quite likely???...
Cheers

charleville
17-04-2005, 01:47 PM
After driving a couple of Holden Statesmans and several Ford Fairmonts over several years, this time I chose a basic Falcon with LPG that I took delivery of last week and I LOVE IT!

My last car was a Fairmont Ghia and it was a real let-down after the previous Statesman two years ago. It had all the bells and whistles but that was what annoyed me most. Whenever you backed the car, a beeper sounded several metres from anything, even when I backed down my sloping driveway, it beeped when the car got close to the level road; when the petrol was getting down a bit it beeped at you; when you did not have your seatbelts on, it beeped at you; the electric driver's seat is nice but it had to be repaired twice in the past 12 months and when it breaks down, the seat won't move at all; the car had low profile tyres and a sports suspension so it was a rough ride and a bit low for my boat trailer compared to the Statesman (which is self levelling). The airconditioning on the premium cars is split in the front so that theoretically the front passenger and the driver can set separate temperatures on each side of the car - but what really happens is that I would set my side for 18 degrees and my wife would set hers for 26 degrees and the system would let her win every time.

In fact the only extra that I look for is cruise control and that is standard on Falcons these days and as I fly interstate every week and really only need a towbar on wheels for the weekends, I went for the base model LPG Falcon with aircon and auto and a towbar.

Well the car is great! What surprised me is how smooth the engine runs on LPG so I looked up LPG on th petrol companies' websites and there it is, they say that LPG cars do run smoother than petrol. I don't know why but could make a reasonable guess.

The fact that the car has standard suspension and standard tyres means that the ride is much smoother than the Fairmont Ghia and the fact that the aircon is the basic model means that it is really simple to use; likewise for the single CD stereo. I find that I do not use the CD player much any more and if I did want to, it makes more sense to use my ipod with the radio attachment anyway.

So, bottom line is try an LPG vehicle, I was very pleasantly surprised. The power at the back wheel is a little less than for a petrol engine but it seems to have plenty of power for me (Bright red colour so it goes pretty fast!) and the fuel cost is much less than petrol and the smoothness of the engine is a treat. Better for the environment too but that was not my consideration - cost was.

Sass
17-04-2005, 01:57 PM
Y'all, look at this..........what's really going on? Can the earths oil reserves actually increase? If so, then Fuel prices should actually go down!

Fuel prices going up=less fishing trips doesn't it?

Oil Reserves Are Increasing
by George Crispin
by George Crispin

Eugene Island is an underwater mountain located about 80 miles off the coast of Louisiana in the Gulf of Mexico. In 1973 oil was struck and off-shore platform Eugene 330 erected. The field began production at 15,000 barrels a day, then gradually fell off, as is normal, to 4,000 barrels a day in 1989, Then came the surprise; it reversed itself and increased production to 13,000 barrels a day. Probable reserves have been increased to 400 million barrels from 60 million. The field appears to be filling from below and the crude coming up today is from a geological age different from the original crude, which leads to the speculation that the world has limitless supplies of petroleum.

This really interested some scientists. Thomas Gold, astronomer and professor emeritus of Cornell held for years that oil is actually renewable primordial syrup continually manufactured by the earth under ultra hot conditions and tremendous pressures. This substance migrates upward picking up bacteria that attack it making it appear to have an organic origin, i.e., come from dinosaurs and vegetation. As best I have found so far Russian scientists support his position, at least that petroleum is of primordial origin. There is now plenty of evidence around proving the presence of methane in our universe. It is easy to see it as a part of the formation of the earth. Under the right conditions of temperature and pressure, it converts to more complex hydrocarbons.

Roger Andersen, an oceanographer and executive director of Columbia’s Energy Research Center proposed studying the behavior of this reservoir. The underwater landscape around Eugene Island is weird, cut with faults and fissures that belch gas and oil. The field is operated by PennzEnergy Co. Andersen proposed to study the action of the sea bottom around the mountain and the field at its top and persuaded the U S Dept of Energy to ante up ten million which was matched by a consortium of oil giants including Chevron, Exxon, and Tex Corp. This work began about the time 3-D seismic technology was introduced to oil exploration. Anderson was able to stack 3D images resulting in a 4D image that showed the reservoir in 3 spatial dimensions and enabled researchers to track the movement of oil. Their most stunning find was a deep fault at a bottom corner of the computer scan that showed oil literally gushing in. "We could see the stream," says Andersen. "It wasn’t even debated that it was happening."

Work continued for five years until funds ran out and they were unable to continue. With the world having 40 years of proven reserves in hand it is difficult to interest the major oil producers in much exploration, let alone something done merely for research, and so far from the current accepted theory of a fossil origin for oil.

Similar occurrences have been seen at other Gulf Of Mexico fields, at the Cook Inlet oil field, at oil fields in Uzbekistan, and it is possible this accounts for the longevity of the Saudi Arabian fields where few new finds have been made, yet reserves have doubled while the fields have been exploited mercilessly for 50 years.

Not only can the doom and gloomers not show us running out of the natural resources we recycle, but now there appears to be good odds of a limitless supply of petroleum working its way up to where we can capture it.

A caveat: Gold’s theory is not yet accepted by all scientists, probably all the more reason to trust it.

April 6, 2005

George Crispin [send him mail] is a retired businessman who heads a Catholic homeschooling cooperative in Auburn, Alabama.

Copyright © 2005 LewRockwell.com

Sassssssssssssssss The Redneck Yank. ;)

Lucky_Phill
17-04-2005, 06:50 PM
now there's a new slant on things !

No one has ever been able to explain to me how:-

The price of a barrel of Oil goes up by $0.50 on Monday, and at the pumps it shows an increase in price. I thought Oil was traded on the open market and purchased in advance.

Surley the Oil coming out of a Arab Oil field on Monday , cannot be delivered to the Service ( yeah right ) Station by Thursday ?

So, can someone explain the " commodities " market to me ?

And as for the 4 cents a litre discounts........huh !

save 4 cents over 50 litres = $2.00. Jeez ya can save that and then some by shopping at any other supermarket and utilizing their specials, and in some cases save many , many more $'s

That 4 cents a ltr is a gimmick, but it seems to be working.

Now the Indepents are offering up to 20 cents a ltr or more, off, BUT, for only up to 30ltrs.

And for the technical ones, filing up ya vehicle first thing in the morning is better than middle of the day, why ?

Well I have been told that due to the heat in the ground etc, ( and we all know that fuel expands under heat ), you actually put Less fuel in your car when that fuel is warm, than when it is cold ( first thing in the morning ).

Is that why fuel trucks deliver at night, because the stations refuse to accept ' warm ' fuel deliveries during the day ?

Or, is this just another conspirosy theory ! ? ???

And by the way, why the hell is LPG 37 cents a ltr when the stuff is really a by-product and only incures costs of storage and transport............should be more like 10 cents a ltr./ ?

><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
Cheers phill

Bosunsmate
18-04-2005, 11:02 AM
This looks very similar to the post I sent the other day in the other petrol forum,.......

Re: Price of fuel
« Reply #8 on: 13/04 at 19:33 » Quote Modify

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I read of a process a while back that uses the theory of supply and demand to force the fuel suppliers to reduce their prices. It works through targetting a single supplier uinstead of overall multiple supplier boycotting. The process is quite simple and does not involve not buying fuel but by selective prefered supplier targetting.

It works by everyone using a single supplier for their fuel preferably the cheapest locally owned supplier and not using the other suppliers at all.

The used supplier will be encouraged to reduce prices as they are getting the bulk of the trade and the other suppliers will end up witha glut or oversupply in their tanks and little stock movement.

The suppliers not being used will be forced to bring prices down to the level of or below the level of the supplier being used and thus the start of a price war. Inevitably if the unused suppliers don't bring prices down they will eventually be forced out of business by the ones that do.

This process is based entirely on the Theory of Supply and Demand and as we all know, if there is no demand then there is no cash flow or need for supply and the product/business fails.

The process would work best if supported by a local radio station and newspapers where they support the supplier with free advertising media through the newpapers and electronic media. The assumption is that with suficient support from media the bulk of the local motoring community would also support it.

Unfortunately the independent service station owners not selected will be hurt but they will soon learn to obey the demand of motorists and lower prices accordingly and put pressure from their side on the oil companies.

We stand united in the Aussie spirit when we are confronted with tragedy and adversity through natural disasters, why can't we do the same when dealing with our everyday needs, it's about time we as a community stood up and let the Fed Government and the Oil Companies know that we are not happy with the fuel prices in this country and we want action.

Sheesh remarkable how people can alter something to make them look great without the proper aknowledgments.......at least I have tried to aknowledge that I got the info from another source.......It would take solidarity to make this work......

whichway
18-04-2005, 11:41 AM
A) As I understand it, global fuel prices are increasing due to demand in China. A few Aussies cutting their consumption won't make a speck of difference to global demand, therefore global prices will continue to rise unless the rate of production increases. (Economics is too complicated to predict what will happen all of the time, but for simple issues like this, it can predict what will happen most of the time) The only way the rate of production will increase would be to find major new fields (not likely at this stage of the game - remember the first oil crisis was 31 years ago), or increase production from Iraq (I think they have the second largest reserves after the Saudis). When will Iraq get back under control - (when will the wind stop blowing, when will the drought break, when will I win Lotto) - Who knows.

B) Australian fuel prices are linked to global fuel prices due to import parity pricing. This is a two pronged strategy aiming at controlling local oil consumption by increasing the local price in line with global price rises and more importantly to raise revenue for the Government. When will the politicians cut this revenue raiser, who knows, but I'd be betting on Iraq getting back under the control of the oil producers a long long time before the politicians cut back on a great big earner like the fuel taxes.

http://www.fuelwatch.wa.gov.au/info/dsp_petrol_prices.cfm

In short - I don't see that short term tactics like boycotts can work - better to work on long term tactics to reduce fuel consumption, or switch to cheaper sources of fuel eg LPG.

Now who does LPG conversions for outboards, or can I get to Deep Tempest with a 25hp outboard?

Just my thoughts - I'd love be proven wrong

Whichway

cooky
19-04-2005, 04:55 AM
yep - fuel prices do stink. I filled up boat friday night with 100lts of fuel for more than $100 - than is psychologically bad. It just doesn't seem right. Earlier in the same day I put $65 of fuel in my 4X4 - that'll last less than a week. Doesn't really take too much thought to understand the impact on spending / economy, when fuel is really as important these days as food and shelter (both of which are increasing in $ too). I've had a few friends come back from overseas after a few years in europe and they can't believe how expensive Australia is these days (even milk).

PinHead
19-04-2005, 11:32 AM
"I've had a few friends come back from overseas after a few years in europe and they can't believe how expensive Australia is these days (even milk)."

Do a check and see how much fuel is in England..bloody cheap here compared to over there.