PDA

View Full Version : Turtles and crab pots dont mix.

jugs
17-04-2005, 12:37 PM
We were out checkin our pots in the middle of the bay today, and saw this strange sight ??? ??? a turtle swimming around, and around, and around a crabpot float. On closer investigation, we saw the poor turtle was tangled in the rope. #:o :o :o
HUBBY TO THE RESCUE!!! ;D ;D
My hero pulled the float up and then the rope, then of course the turtle. The rope was wrapped around his neck and one flipper. My hero [smiley=smitten.gif] managed to untangle the turtle from the rope and he lived to swim another day. #;)
This is not the first time he has had to do this.
That got me thinking, how often do the pros get turtles tangled in their ropes, and as they leave their pots out for extended periods of time, do they find many dead turtles?? [smiley=angryfire.gif] [smiley=angryfire.gif]
Does anyone know how long a turtle tangled up like this would take to drown??

jugs
17-04-2005, 12:46 PM
release!!!

skippa
17-04-2005, 01:33 PM
G'Day Jugs,

Had a run in with a turtle a few years back in the Blue Hole inside southern Moretom Is.

We where on a mates cruiser sitting on the duck board fishing when I noticed the pot float, which we had put out earlier, start to move and disappear. Reminded my of the Jaws scene when the drums disappeared..... Jumped in the rubber duckie to rescue a large turtle. Turtle away safe and sound and I returned with rather sore rope burn hands. Those big mothers can pull hard.

Ufortunately we didn't eat crabs for tea that night.

Cheers,
Tony 8)

finga64
18-04-2005, 03:24 AM
The cook hooked one by the flipper at Evans Head. It was a case of catch and release as well. Nearly everytime we go outside fishing to a particular spot we see a huge turtle. Do they stay in the one spot for long or is the 'snappa' spot on a turtle highway?? Beautiful animals though ;D

devocean
18-04-2005, 08:19 AM
One of the reasons why those 15 dollar collapsible pots should be banned. The mouths are way to big and plenty of turtles also get caught in them when trying to get the bait. Seen it at least 3 times

Gorilla_in_Manila
18-04-2005, 09:24 AM
The cook hooked one by the flipper at Evans Head. It was a case of catch and release as well. Nearly everytime we go outside fishing to a particular spot we see a huge turtle. Do they stay in the one spot for long or is the 'snappa' spot on a turtle highway?? Beautiful animals though #;D

G'Day Finga,
There is a big old loggerhead that I'm sure lives permanently off broken head at cocked hat rocks. Saw it year after year when we used to paddle around the rocks catching tailor from a surf ski. Recognised the same little patch of barnacles on its huge head.
It had this unnerving habit of popping up just beside you and exhaling loudly. Used to scare the crap out of me just on dark. :o
Cheers
Jeff

mattooty
18-04-2005, 12:31 PM
Theres a massive turtle that lives on one of the dive sites we go to. It has been there for at least 5 years and we usually see it 3 or 4 times a year on the same section of the island that we go to. Its got to no the local divers and usually comes in from behind to bump into the tank, quite unnerving when your swimming with grey nurses and 2 other types of sharks.
Mattooty

saphire
18-04-2005, 09:10 PM
Its wonderful that you identified the Turtle in distress. Poor thing. You saved its life so that it can live for many more years and make lots of baby turtles.
Hearing your story makes me realise how important it is to keep vigilent to all that is going on in the water when in any of the waterways.
Congratulations you are heros.
All the best,
saphire [smiley=balloon3.gif]

jugs
19-04-2005, 01:01 PM
Its wonderful that you identified the Turtle in distress. #Poor thing. #You saved its life so that it can live for many more years and make lots of baby turtles.
Hearing your story makes me realise how important it is to keep vigilent to all that is going on in the water when in any of the waterways.
Congratulations you are heros.
All the best,
saphire [smiley=balloon3.gif]

Thanks saphire, we are feeling like heroes at the moment! Pretty special! Where else in the world would you rather be??

finga64
20-04-2005, 02:51 AM
Where else in the world would you rather be??

Nowhere!!!! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Sergio_kutz
20-04-2005, 07:29 PM
that's one pretty freeking huge turtle!!!! you see heaps of them in the bays/hourbour around shute harbour near airlie beach. that was kool kayaking along and seeing about 40 turtles all up

NeMo84
21-04-2005, 07:20 AM
tell your husband well done and give him a apt on the back! :)

NeMo84
21-04-2005, 07:22 AM
i meant to write "pat" instead of apt