PDA

View Full Version : Garden island (hinchinbrook)

Nathanrb4
21-04-2005, 09:29 AM
Has anyone camped on Garden island? if so whats it like? do i need a permit?
cheers Nathan

devocean
21-04-2005, 11:36 AM
Is that actually part of the channell or part of the main island because I belive you dont need a permit for the channel Islands but you do for the main island. Wherever you go there will be lots of mozzies. North Zoe is a good place to camp and it is out of the green zone now

Nathanrb4
21-04-2005, 12:52 PM
Thanks devo. Wheres North Zoe island? i`ve looked at my map and can`t find it

Wild_Side
21-04-2005, 02:18 PM
North Zoe is the creek at the northern end of Zoe bay. Better camping at the southern end where there is camp sites, food tins (to stop the water rats), deeper water for the boat at low tide and the waterfall is only a short walk.
You do need a permit to camp and you need to book ahead as there is only a limited number of people allowed to camp.
Garden island? That would have to be up the northern end of hinchinbrook?? I don't get up that way much, too many Hill-billies. :P

NQCairns
21-04-2005, 03:22 PM
It's that little Is, 1.6km from Goold Is in a SW direction, 18.11.0904S, 146.8.6808E, wgs 84. Just looking at the map it would be a REALLY nice spot if camping is allowed.

devocean
22-04-2005, 05:27 AM
Have to disagree about the southern end way to many mosquitos and campers. Plenty of water at north zoe and better reef out the front. Very quiet as well.

max_power
22-04-2005, 08:26 AM
yes u need a permit to camp on garden island, there are some picnic tables and a safe anchorage there. PM me if you need any other details about it.

Cheers

Drew

Mad_Barry
22-04-2005, 08:43 AM
I think Garden Is is under the Cardwell Council jurisdiction, i.e not a national park.

Gould is under the national parks permit system.

try here, click on camping bookings for info

http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/

I camp at macushla every now and then (top end of missionary bay, hinchinbrook Is). Top spot.