PDA

View Full Version : Fraser Island Fishing Comp gone wrong

Lucky_Phill
13-01-2005, 05:54 PM
Some of you folk will have recieved your entry form into this years Toyota Fraser Island Fishing Expo.

On the back of said entry form, are 2 parts to fill in.

The first part is a for ' NON-Toyota " owners and the cost of entry is $190.

The second part is for " Toyota" owners, and this entry is $165.

YES, if you own a Toyoto and take it to the comp you pay $25 less to be in the same comp as " ordinary " non- Toyoto folk.

I don't know if I'm taking this the wrong way, but, it appears to be a tad discriminating. Why should the make of your motor vehicle have anything to do with the cost of entry.

I hear you say that Toyota are the major sponsors and therefore are entilted to have a say in the running of the show. Yes they are and should have, but it is the same show for every competitor.

Further, in 2003, the entry was $140, so how can they ( Toyota I believe ) justify a 36% increase in entry fee in 2 years. Inflation is running at 4% ( or there abouts, don't split hairs here ).

Don't get wrong here, Toyota do a fantastic job, and being a part of the competition in 2003 was a memorable ocassion, but I just feel that they may be trying to " squeeze ", " twist ", " manipulate ", " refine " and or " sectionalize " the comp.

I don;t for 1 minute think that anyone will go out and buy a Toyoto, just to get the $25 reduction in fees. But why do it in the first place ? It is a fishing comp ( read, Expo ), for anyone to enter and compete in, and NOT a Toyota only comp.

Further, ONLY TOYOTA owners go into the draw for a $5,000 fishing trip. sounds like a rort to me. You pay less money to enter and get special privilages. ??? >:( >:(

For further information or to lodge a complaint, go to

www.fraserisland.toyota.com.au

Your thoughts people. feel free !

Phill 8)

Fitzy
13-01-2005, 06:02 PM
Anyone remember when there was a $10/competitor fee that DPI&F used to charge for these commercial fishing comps & use the money for research?

The permit for comps & the $10/competitor fee was dropped as of December 19 2003.

Was there a reduction of $10 in the entry fee in 2004?

fitzy..

nisrol
13-01-2005, 06:03 PM
Is that why toyota owners pay so much for there 4x4 :-X( did i say that ? ) ::)

Lucky_Phill
18-01-2005, 10:49 AM
Further, here's a scenerio.

Bloke in a Nissan has been a competitor at the comp for the last 22 years. As a reward for his loyalty, we'll make you pay an extra $25 more than a first timer with a Toyoto, AND we WON"T let you go into the $5,000 fishing trip draw, because you still haven't bought a Toyoto !

There, cop that, Loyal Competitor.

>:( >:( >:( Phill

Black_Rat
18-01-2005, 11:03 AM
Is that for the owner of the vechile only or do his mates fishing in the comp with him pay the extra $25 as well #???
Damo.

PS: If so it stinks ! [smiley=veryangry.gif]

Hutcho
18-01-2005, 11:26 AM
what a rort. [smiley=furious2.gif]

Gazza
18-01-2005, 11:51 AM
See where your coming from Phill #>:(
A. maybe the barge operator can charge an extra $25 for toyotas #;D
B. maybe the extra $25 ,is for a special-RFL ,and the toyota dudes can't fish #:-X ,or win a fish-related prize #[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Back to reality #::) ....suks mate #>:( ,
hope the marketing gurus take note for 2006, "$25 ain't SMART" , as I hope both toyo and non-toyo owners concur....
as they're ALL fishos

Derek Bullock
18-01-2005, 12:07 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Will this help in my decision to buy a new Prado or not. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Derek

Derek Bullock
18-01-2005, 12:08 PM
Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, only kidding. Love my Pajero. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Derek

dfox
18-01-2005, 12:28 PM
Got my support on this one phill...what a stupid exercise and it has the potential to creat a us and them scenario. This isnt the sought of atmosphere you wont to have. Hope toyota wake up to themselves...

Jack_Lives_Here
18-01-2005, 01:30 PM
What a crock. Seems they're on the right track for their own little egotistical secular society. Be careful, they'll have Toyo and non Toyo camp areas next.

NeilD
18-01-2005, 01:52 PM
I was tossing up if I would have a go this year or 2006 and was only talking to my mate about it this morning. Well they have made the decision pretty simple. As a Landie owner for sixteen years I am greatly offended by their discriminatory behavior.
By the way I'm pretty sure the 1770 M&G comps are only open to 4X drinking Landie drivers in Quintrex boats using Live-fibre rods and Penn 10X line. ;D ;D ;D . Everyone else pays $25.00 to watch. Sounds good to me ;D ;D ;D

cheers Neil

Spaniard_King
18-01-2005, 02:16 PM
Surely this can't be legal...It's definately not gona win many votes..anyone got an idea of what amount of non Toyo cometitors turn up...How they gona regulate it....If anythin the Toyo VIPS will cop some flak out of it [smiley=thumbsdown.gif]

Garry

straddie
18-01-2005, 03:58 PM
Easy fix is you simply boycott the fraser comp and toyota and make sure you let them know why. >:(

bugman
19-01-2005, 04:56 AM
For such a well run comp this has got to be the most stupid decision I've ever seen.

Are they going to charge all those with boats, other than the sponsors, extra to take part. Are they going to charge people who use outboards other than the sponsors extra to take part.

Are they going to charge people who use portable car fridges other than the sponsors extra to take part.

Are they going to tax people who take up alcohol other than the sponsors to take part.

I can't even imagine to think of the decision making process around the table when this was decided.

Because my photo is in the entry form I should write to them and ask them to remove it because I don't want to be associated with such a stupid idea.

I'm with you on the landie Neil

Bugman

Fisher_Boats
19-01-2005, 05:32 AM
Maybe it should be......
The Toyota Frazer Private Fishing Comp :-X
Col

Outsider
19-01-2005, 02:27 PM
As someone who hasn't had anything to do with this comp in the past.....have they jacked up the price from last year if you bring something other than a Toyota....or have they simply offered those with a Toyota a discount on the normal entry fee?

redspeckle
19-01-2005, 03:31 PM
Well you know why Toyota is giving a $ 25 discount on comp they can not win the Paris to Daka Rally Mitsbubishi (Pajero) have won it again 1st and 2nd again & have won it for the last five years straight go the Mitsubishi ye ha
But joke's a side i have to agree with the follow ausfish's what they have said in their post's
mitch [smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif]

adriancorrea
19-01-2005, 09:35 PM
I say boycott, not that I was going anyway ::)
Hey I have a toyota corolla does that count lol :D ;)

Tight Lines
Adrian

opimax
20-01-2005, 01:20 PM
giday all
was thinking of heading to comp this year with new boat,but seeing i have a patrol will give it a miss. its not the $25.
oh with a feeling pigsa%$e. lee

Thunderbird
20-01-2005, 02:48 PM
Com'on boys.....
Toyota badges are a throw away at the wreckers ;) ;)

MulletGuts
20-01-2005, 04:44 PM
Maybe it's because they don't have to spend as much time pulling out bogged Toyotas as other brands.... :-X ;D

Just jokes....

Seriously though, there's similarities in other forms of society. Take going to the footy or the cricket. You have to drink the sponsors beer, eat the sponsors pies etc. etc.... Maybe not the same as this (ie paying twice the price for brand X beer because you like a different beer), but you'll find in general that sponsors get their way cos money talks and bull$%#t walks.

The best form of protest is by simply not attending. Actually.... why not an Ausfish comp held next door with different sponsors?

Needmorerum
20-01-2005, 05:30 PM
they can not win the Paris to Daka Rally Mitsbubishi (Pajero) have won it again 1st and 2nd again & have won it for the last five years straight go the Mitsubishi ye he

Oh yeah, and being Mitsubishi is the reason why they have to strip it and rebuild it after every race, and replace it with a new one every year. If Mitsubishi could make the Pajero anything like the race car, then they would be onto something.
Now I've started the debate, I might go and get another drink.

Another reason Toyota owners get a discount, is that we have to pay so much for parts for our Toyota's. And whoever thinks that you have to spend more money to buy a Toyota than a Ni$$an needs to get some legitimate quotes. I've just gone through this and the Ni$$an is no cheaper than the Cruiser.

As far as the comp goes. I reckon it's a load of crap. I wasn't even thinking about going, and I'm still not going to. This would be a typical move by Toyota.

Corry

cooky
20-01-2005, 05:41 PM
just say that you've got a Toyota on back order

bugman
21-01-2005, 04:35 AM
Corry,

Expensive spare parts you say - well you've obviously never owned a landrover ;D

I shake and quiver any time I go near a mechanic.

adrian
21-01-2005, 05:11 AM
well it's simple don't go . ;D ;D
and write to the papers and voice the complaints
i wont buy a toyo now i've cancelled the order

anzac

snappa
21-01-2005, 05:56 AM
lee

i will pay the extra $ money
if
you take me as a deckie....??? ;D ;D

Lucky_Phill
21-01-2005, 11:50 AM
http://www.toyota.com.au/TWR/EmailToyota/0,4021,,00.html

this is the address to send Toyoto an email of your thoughts.

Phill

jackash
19-04-2005, 05:31 PM
Hey guys. Hahah i know this post is a bit old now but it just took me like an hour to find it. Hahah yes im a nerd but ive got an english oral on discrimination and ive chosen to do how major companies discriminate against the general public/those the dont use/support their company. Obviously i will be using this as an example. I was wondering if you guys had any other similar examples to this one which you think i might find useful. Thanks a heap.
Jackash

Burley_Boy
19-04-2005, 05:45 PM
Advertising is all about creating an attitude about a product and I'll have to say this is self defeating. For the sake of $25 my feelings about the big T have decreased.... this could cost them a heck of a lot more than they gain which means its a dum idea..

rando
19-04-2005, 06:45 PM
just dont tell them what truck you drive ,leave it blank and pay the lower fee. silence is golden

Custaro
20-04-2005, 04:32 AM
This sort of practice is becoming far too common in every day marketing. Once upon a time this sort of thing only happened in the USA and we aussies shook our heads at their mentality. Now,..slowly this has made its way into Australian culture.

I think the best thing to do is pay the lesser fee and if asked "where is your toyota?" simply say it broke down the day before the trip and you borrowed the car your in. I'm pretty sure they cannot access your registration information.

If on the entry form they ask for a lic number then copy any one down from a car park. Even better...copy one from out the front of your local school. That way you can be sure it won't be going.

Vic

markpeta
20-04-2005, 06:34 AM
I think Toyota owners should get more of a discount to pay for all the repairs they have to make on a Toyota.
[smiley=bigcry.gif]Toyota Owner [smiley=happy2.gif] Holden Owner.

Mark

whynott
20-04-2005, 12:23 PM
Time for the NISSAN fishing comp to get off the ground.
Go you good thing!!!!!!
Cheers,
Graham.
;D

Big_unit
20-04-2005, 01:01 PM
Yeah so where is the Nissan fishing comp ? Toyota sponsors one and you lot whinge about it. Dont go, if you cant afford the extra $25 and are so opposed to Toyota sponsoring a great show with great prizes, I personally wouldnt want to listen to you lot whinge and moan the whole time. The only reason I responded to this thread is because when I read the headline I thought that there was a REAL problem, not a bunch of non Toyota owners having a cry. Tears in ya beers boys, I will be there in my Cruiser on Fraser Island fishing and partying, having a ball.

Cheers
James.

troy
20-04-2005, 01:12 PM
be careful big unit or you might start a 4 wheel drive of the year award and bore every poor bugger to death like i managed to do.
troy

Lucky_Phill
20-04-2005, 01:31 PM
Missed the point a tad, James.

Toyota are the ( major ) sponsors, and do a great job, but the promoter is the one that runs the show. #He is the one that is discriminating against others.

My beef, is the fact ( as I have posted before ), many long term and loyal Fraser Comp Entrants are NOT Toyota owners, and therefore, for their loyalty to the comp and the sponsors, they are slugged and extra $25 more than a first timer. #Further, they are EXCLUDED from a $5,000 fishing trip prize.

This IS my beef, and there is more to it. #I will enlighten fellow Ausfishers as the details trickle in. #Was going to " re-hash " this post in a few days anyway.

Not having a whinge about Toyota, but about a certain type of discrimination. #Maybe not even having a whinge, just letting the general public know.

more soon.

Cheers # Phill

ps. good call Vic ! ;)

Gazza
20-04-2005, 02:38 PM
Further, they are EXCLUDED from a $5,000 fishing trip prize.

$25 is not the point ,it's the principle...surely ???

IF anything ,that Xtra $25 should entitle ALL to participate in the $5000
i.e. Toyo - free entry >:( >:( >:( & lesser mortals pay the silly,stupid!! and insignificant $25 to "choose" to be in the draw.

BigE
20-04-2005, 02:53 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D i just turn up in me new toyota patrol (it has the best of both models with none of the bad bits) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Big_unit
20-04-2005, 03:22 PM
Phil,
# # I didnt miss the point at all. You lot are trying to say that the major sponsors TOYOTA has no right to further promote its product and offer its customers a good faith promotion. Good on them, they are parting with their money and product for their product promotion and ensuring the competitors and spectators have a good time. TOYOTA have a good deal for their clients, What are you saying that TOYOTA clients are not entitled to it ? If it gets up your nose so much then boycott it. Otherwise pay your entry fee and enjoy yourself.

Why would you have to lie or exclude information on your entry ?
Why do you think Vic made a good call ?
Are you recommending fraud as a suitable practice ?

Cheers
James.
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

CHRIS_aka_GWH
20-04-2005, 04:40 PM
promotion... b: active furtherance of sale of merchandise through advertising or other activity...
Websters Third New International Dictionary Unabridged Vol II.

discriminate... 2: to make a difference in treatment or favour on a class or categorical basis in disregard of individual merit ...
Websters Third New International Dictionary Unabridged Vol I.

if anything the promotors have actively soured the product image of their major sponsor - well done.

Girella
20-04-2005, 04:51 PM
I'm not a Toyota owner but I have to agree with James.

I'd be stoked if my Manufacturer put on such a good deal for it's
customers.

So is the glass half full or half empty ?

Is this discrimination for it's customers or against other brands ?

Lucky_Phill
20-04-2005, 04:53 PM
Yes James, I am boycotting the event this year. As is a couple of others. Will we make a difference to the overall situation ? Who knows, Who cares, I have peace of mind.

Principles somewhere in there ???

Yep, I still think you are missing the point, it is NOT Toyota, that is the problem ( I do NOT have a problem with Toyota at all ). I have a problem with the Promoter !

Toyota do not run the comp, they are merely the major sponsor.

The problem is the Promoter is sectionalizing or discriminating against a group of potential entrants, in that he is burdeoning that group with additional payment to enter his competition.

I could understand, if the event was the Toyota 4WD Fraser Island 4WD Car Rally. But it is a fishing comp ! Simple as that.

The comp is not about which vehicle you own, which outboard you plonk on ya Boat or which fishing reel you use. Toyota don't even sponsor a prize for catching a fish, the Toyota's sponsorship is for a " Lucky Draw ".

Don't know if you read my report from my ' competition " days at the comp, but I had nothing but praise for the Promoter, Sponsors and all associated staff, safety crew and entrants. This is a wonderful event, run by professionals.

Why would you have to lie or exclude information on your entry ?
Why do you think Vic made a good call ?
Are you recommending fraud as a suitable practice ?

ans to A, why ? dunno...........why ?

ans to B Vic made a good call ( in my opinion only ), in that he has made an adjustment to the goal posts, that were moved (mid-game ), by the Promoter.

ans to C I recommend people make up their own minds as to what action they can take, provided that action is in good faith, in that they truely believe in what they are doing is right and fair.

Bottom line is:- ( and I don;t mind having a Scratchie on this ), you will NOT see this type of entry rules next year.

I repeat, will NOT.

Thanks for your feedback James, always good to have a different point of view.

Cheers Phill

Daintreeboy
20-04-2005, 05:29 PM
Unbelievable phill. Surely the promoter of the event is not that one sighted to see how rediculous this is? I guess not.
There are enough major companies around to gather sponsorshp from than to pander to the current one to the point of segregating the fishing community in such a way. Good on all the people who boycott this years event!!
BTW Phill, where's the extra info you promised? I've only just read this now and you've sparked my interest big time!
Cheers, Mark.

jamesmcjim
20-04-2005, 05:57 PM
what was it called last year?

Big_unit
20-04-2005, 06:01 PM
So Fellas,
# # # # # #Do you believe for one second that the Promotor went ahead and made this decision without the sponsors consent and approval ? I would say that in a case like this where big money is involved that detailed discussion was entered in to. Yeah sure if it was some anthill sideshow maybe it would be the case. Toyota would have all the say in the use of thier name and image. I am absolutly positive they will have a legal document drawn up regarding this.

Do you think that Toyota is silly enough to do something detrimental to their image ? They spend a lot of money on market research and advertising, they employ people specifically for that task. I can not see them doing things by halves. Toyota appears to be a very professional outfit. I dont believe they would be involved in an event where they didnt get a good outcome. This thread does portray a negative image of Toyota. No body has actually named the promoter, just the sponsor.

At the end of the day, if you are not happy then thats your decision. Me I am happy with it. You dont have to agree with everything that goes on. If you enjoyed the event so much before then why would $25 and a Toyota owners only draw, bother you enough to not attend. I cant see it as a big deal, I would be going even without the extras that are on offer to me. I dont like to crystal ball but I think you will see this year being better than previous events.

Cheers
James.

Burley_Boy
20-04-2005, 06:11 PM
They could probably have given bonuses or cashbacks to Toyota owners in a better way to better further their good image. That a big professional outfit don't make mistakes in marketing I don't believe, yet to what extent this will be good or bad for their image only a marketing study can determine.
Still think they could have approached it in a better way.

Daintreeboy
21-04-2005, 06:34 AM
Every body makes mistakes, in this I believe it was underistimating the local fishing fraternity. If I knew who the promoter was, I would be naming them, plus a few swear words in front ;D

Lucky_Phill
21-04-2005, 11:58 AM
I know the promotor and am awaiting further corrospondence.

I promised more ' info, and will oblidge when it comes to hand.

Sorry, James, I still don't think you get the point ( we'll have to agree to disagree on this one ! ).

The competition is not called the Mr Joe Bloggs fishing comp, it is:- The 22nd Toyota Fraser Island Fishing Expo.

Even more amazing is another promotion by this person, every entrant will recieve a DVD of the Expo Free ! yes Free, and why is it amazing.................because it costs $45 more to enter this year than the 2003 comp , when you had to purcahse a Video for $49.50, DOH !

If you are still not convinced there is a problem here, I can't say any more, other than to ask the promotor, if there has been any negative feedaback comcerning this !

and he is:-

Simon.Wilson@toyota.com.au

or the hotline 1800 800 543

cheers Phill

whynott
21-04-2005, 12:34 PM
Stick it to them Phil.
cHEERS,
Graham.

Big_unit
21-04-2005, 09:25 PM
Phil,
Call it what you like. Your making out that they have no right to run the comp in the direction they wish to move. The guys in question are running the show and are entitled to make these decisions as they see fit. Where is your obligation to change this decision ?

Maybe you should try to establish your own comp, see just how hard it is. If its any good you will have earnt the right to be critical. Perhaps your own comp may even be better. When your running events, you can not please everyone all of the time. You are entitled to your view, I really do wonder just how much logic you are using ? Its a Toyota sponsored event, they dont have to justify anything. Your going to boycott the event, so why do you feel the need to continue ?

I can guarantee there has been negative feedback. Some people arent happy because it isnt going to favour them. They wont reap the benefits like the people who made the decision to buy a Toyota.

Cheers
James.

Mick
22-04-2005, 03:18 AM
Competitions are ment to be on a level playing field. It's what happens during a competition that makes it..., a competition. Whenever there a restricted differences between competiters before a competition it can't be called a competition. Different entry fee's are wrong in a sponsored comp or non sponsored comp (excluding children, pensioners, etc - as this is moraly justifiable). Why don't they just let white people enter the comp for free and charge black people (or vise versa so my point is not concidered racial)?

Custaro
22-04-2005, 04:31 AM
Thats it Mick..this is a fishing comp not about what car you drive.

Imaging if it was $10 cheaper for Telstra customers to go and watch the footy!!

Toyota is there as a sponsor only. They give up a car, a few prizes and some money for the promoter for a bucket load of advertising. If they wanted to give something back to Toyota customers they should do it to all Toyota customers and not just those going to Fraser. They should run a competition that gives away a bunch of entries to the comp.
eg. "Test drive a new Hilux and go into the draw to take you and your mates to the Toyota Fraser Fishing Comp, all expenses paid."

Vic

P.S. Harry Hilux and I were wondering if we can claim for a $25 cash back somehow. We can't make it to Fraser.

adrian
22-04-2005, 05:09 AM
it is discrimination against non toyoyta owners . why should you pay more if you don't drive a toyota ? yes toyota is A sponser but so are a lot of others , so should you have to pay more #if you don't drink bundy? or use sponsers gear ? the answer should always be NO. so toyota got naming rights so what #it is still a fishing comp . i'm surprised if the anti discrimination guys don't get wind of this . anzac

Hoges
22-04-2005, 05:44 AM
Toyota have every RIGHT to select the conditions of entry to this comp considering they are major sponsors BUT that does not make their decision to discriminate between vehicle owners RIGHT!
Sure allow Toyota owners go into a special draw but do not charge non owners a penalty fee to actually enter the comp.
As a PR exercise they have totally stuffed up. IMO.
Does this mean a team of four blokes arriving in the one Toyota all recieve the discount or only the driver?
Has anyone emailed Toyota regarding any of this? I would think the more feedback they get regarding this then if not this year but in future events they might consider these conditions. Any emails to them should include a link to this thread.
I would love to enter this comp but being a Mexican non Toyota owner will just have to pass. BUGGER!
Just my two cents worth.

cooky
22-04-2005, 05:56 AM
depends if Toyota is the major sponsor or it's there competition and they've made it look like they're a sponsor. I've done this. I had the idea for a major sporting event, so I put my companies time, staff, and resources to organise, promote and run the competition. We get some other companies to pay sponsorship money and it costs us almost no $$$ cash to run (apart from time, resources, etc). We are naming rights sponsor and they're major sponsors. Everyone thinks we're the major sponsor of an event run by a mysterious force (club or something). Works well. I tend to do what I like with the competition because it's ours really.
I'm just wondering if Toyota thinks a similar way.

cooky
22-04-2005, 06:32 AM
I'm just wondering if Toyota thinks a similar way.

i'd like to add that if so - they've certainly stuffed up (backlash from public is dangerous).

The PR / Marketing department would have seen it as a reward to Toyota drivers and probably wanted to encourage a higher percentage of Toyota drivers to the event. This is business and this event is photographed, video'd, and there is usually a TV show dedicated to the event - they would much prefer this coverage to show a higher percentage of Toyota vehicles than other makes. "Toyota Fishing Classic" with a picture in the paper of mostly Nissans (just wouldn't look good for Toyota).

They're really attempting to Target Market - target and appeal to existing Toyota owners - buy more loyalty and encourage people to attend. Toyota owner thinks "wow I own a Toyota - I'm getting rewarded - a Toyota love fest - must go".

I own a Toyota and think it's a great 4x4, but I think the decision to go down this road is dangerous.

banshee
22-04-2005, 06:45 AM
We run two vehicles in my family,the wife a Toyota Seca(registered in my name),and I have a Patrol siting in the shed,do I qualify for the discount and quirks if I turn up in my patrol?Just for the record,I think the set up stinks.

Girella
22-04-2005, 08:10 AM
Still don't understand why the entry fee is seen as a penalty for non Toyo's and not as a discount for Toyo owners ?

Please explain...

Sportfish_5
22-04-2005, 08:17 AM
Maybe it is just a discount for the extra fuel Toyota owners have to spend to be there :-X ;D ;D ;D Those new V8 cruisers love a drink.

Sponsors come and go but burnt memories will remain.

Cheers

Greg

Big_unit
22-04-2005, 08:33 AM
I think this is an interesting point. Various companies who are sponsors of sporting and other events, do offer their clients reduced ticket prices to events. For example as a Bigpond customer I get offered discounted tickets to various events. Toyota is also offering me a similiar discount. There is a difference between a reward for customers and not allowing everyone to attend. I think you guys would have more to complain about if Toyota said they would only admit Toyota owners to this event. That might be discrimination.

No where does it say that fish caught by a Toyota driver will be given preference over a non Toyota drivers fish. Its still a level playing field.

Cheers
James.

cooky
22-04-2005, 09:24 AM
I guess their biggest issue is OBVIOUSLY communicating the intention or the message because a lot of people have obviously taken offence.

This in itself is proof they've stuffed up.

Even if you agree with the idea, it is impossible to look past the offence taken by keen fisherfolk at this action. Toyota's PR firm / department have really f**ked up the message. More thought should have been given to the delivery of the idea (perception).

They could have used the same concept, but approached it differently. Toyota customers would have been happy and non Toyota customers would have had the "warm and fuzzies" and therefore had a better chance of conversion to the Toyota brotherhood. Imagine how much effort is going to go into selling the new hilux at this event - how many potential Nissan, Mitsu, Ford, etc driver could have been salivating at the chance to own one of these beasts. Now the sales people have got to convert potential buyers from a more defensive / offensive state (makes the sales process longer and tougher). If people are already happy and excited about a brand - it's much easier to push them and close the sale.

Billo
22-04-2005, 10:13 AM
Phill , i have to agree with you .

This does seem very discriminatory .

Can you imagine if you went to the footy to watch say Brisbane play at home...then said you were from Sydney and got the response " sorry mate , double the cost for out of towners ".

This IS discriminiation !!!!!

An advertising ploy ( a fair one ) would be ' Get your car serviced at a Toyota dealer this year for $25 off entry to the Toyota Fraser Expo " ....etc etc this could be the promoter throwing in a portion of the cost as a good will gesture for it's customers in which all people have a fair chance to be entitled to the same privilage .

If they wished to do some promotion that gave contestants the opportunity of a fair decision which would allow them the privilage of a discount ,...that is fair ...the fact that non toyota owners don't have an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY leaves it as discrimination .

I am disgusted by it !

And guess what , i am a through and through TOYOTA 4WD Lover ....and am planning on buying a new Hilux aswell ....so this isn't a bias statement ...the fact is the is no EQUAL OPPORTUNITY !

I certainly would not be attending .

For those of you ' Toyota ' fans that are saying it is 'perfectly fair ' that Toyota can push this ,...think about it in another way .....how would you feel if ' non toyota owners ' were invited to go to a presentation one night that included a bit of a PR ploy ...and there was free piss all night ....but YOU were not allowed because you already owned a toyota ...and they did not see it worth while doing PR stunts on you as you were already sold ...
Would you feel left out or discrimated against ? or ripped off ? ......i know you would ....hell , i would !

Some comments are along the lines that companies can give their ' customers ' a discount ...
Well guess what ...this is not a TOYOTA OWNED BUSINESS ........this is a " Fraser Island Fishing Comp "
If fair is giving customers a discount .....first time entrants would be charged $190 ....old goers would get a loyalty discount and be charged the $165 ....that would be fair !

It almost looks like Toyota are trying to take over the events control and make a monopoly out of the whole comp to exploit attendees ..which should not be allowed!!!!

Definition of Monopoly - Control of commodity or service in a particular market which enables the one having control to raise the price substantially above that fixed by free competition.

Key Words here people ........." EQUAL OPPORTUNITY " .......do you see it exists here ??

Who controls this event anyway ?...Toyota are a sponsor and a promoter ....not the owner or the dealer !

DR
22-04-2005, 10:40 AM
Entry
$190.00 GST inclusive per person. Toyota Owners entering the competition and who can verify current ownership of any Toyota vehicle by attaching a copy of their registration renewal certificate to their Entry Form will benefit by receiving a Toyota Owner's Subsidy of $25 GST inclusive per entry. Toyota Owner's entry fee is $165 GST inclusive per person. Please refer to the Entry Form for further details.

Every competitor will, subsequent to the Expo, receive a DVD of the 2005 event.

seems to me it's a subsidy by toyota, for toyota owners, not a discount, slight difference.

i wonder if xxxx was putting free entry into a $5000 draw with every beer purchased there would be no problem, would that be unfair to those that don't drink or drink other brands, i am positive most would think not.
i would imagine that in their contract as main sponsors that everyone is paying the $190 less subsidy for toyota owners, which toyota would be paying to the organisers, so they still get full fare off everybody. also, i am sure any other sponsor would be free to offer some sort of subsidy if they felt the need.
vote with your feet, i don't think they would really care, or notice, (except for the emails you send), as they will still get the numbers to fill all places, then you guys miss out.