PDA

View Full Version : Ausfish M&G? (Straddie)

Fishinmishin
14-04-2005, 07:01 PM
Didn't want to hijack the post about freshwater M&G but I'm all for Bugman's idea of a Straddie M&G. Leaves many opportunities open such as beach fishing and amity launches. I'm in but try to have a thurs or monday included in the days as some of us are in hospitality ;). I elect Bugban- stand up and organise it.
Cheers, Jay

Fishinmishin
14-04-2005, 07:05 PM
PS. Ours will be better, so don't be a zero and join the heros. ::) ;D ;D

bugman
15-04-2005, 04:56 AM
OK Jay,

I'm already going for a week 29th May to Thursday June 2. I'm then heading to Tassie for a bit so I probably won't be in a position to go until later in June.

Is that to late for everyone - if it is count me out. Otherwise there is a full moon on May 23 Monday.

A long weekend trip leading up to the full moon would be good. Maybe from the Thursday 19th - for those who can attend - to the Sunday 22nd. Others who can only do the weekend can come friday night and head home on the Sunday.

Thoughts anyone.

Bugman

mini696
15-04-2005, 05:00 AM
I need a four-by :(

rando
15-04-2005, 07:30 AM
Im in
Rando

Sandman
15-04-2005, 11:12 AM
I think i can make it never say no !!

Lucky_Phill
15-04-2005, 11:44 AM
Any Rangers over there ? ::) :-X

Phill

CHRIS_aka_GWH
15-04-2005, 02:47 PM
i'll be in that on a long weekend.

mini696 - you absolutely 100% do not need a 4wd on north straddie to catch quality fish - a 5kg+ tailor was caught on deadmans beach at the end of last winter in a gutter we were using to catch live bait for use on main. We were idiots - we should have fished the bait.

My personal best 4kg+ tailor came from the rocks at the end of deadmans. I have dropped my biggest jew down the cliffs facing frenchmans & point lookout & amity are the only landbased locations I have caught YT King & mackeral.

Fishing main there are now a couple of 2wd capable tracks that put you a few hundred metres from the surf.

MY-TopEnder
15-04-2005, 02:54 PM
I'd be in... any time would be fine by me. I need to find my inspiration to go fishing again cos i have said to myself i find it by the end of may or the boat gets sold.

Burley_Boy
15-04-2005, 03:54 PM
Go chase some hoo Top Ender, that gets the blood going...
I'm interested in a Straddie MG as we've never been there and I'd be happy to find a good camping area with the family. It's just gotta be warmer than our last years trip to friggin Mt Warning!

boatboy50
15-04-2005, 04:43 PM
Hey Guys,
Id be in for a Straddie trip.
Just remember Sanctuary Cove Boatshow is on May 20ish, and by July i think it will definately be too cold.
Is there anywhere that would be suitable for boat camping from there? Or am i better leaving the boat at home and 4WDing the island?
Regards
Darren

phil_the_greek
15-04-2005, 05:27 PM
id be interested but either need to find a couple of people to share the cost of the 4x4 if i still havew it or jump on the taxi and walk around the island.
which comes my next point from some one thats never been to stradie just how lkarge is it could you walk or is the car a deffinate.
any help would be good

phil

Fishinmishin
15-04-2005, 10:49 PM
Bugman,
19th till the 22nd is def. the go. Let's set that for the date.
Darren,
If the weather looks good I'm taking my boat. Campspots are just in the scrub off the eastern beach so parking is not a prob and launching avail. at amity or off the beach when mid westerlies.
Phil,
I think there will be a lot of 4WD sharing come time so most travel shouldn't be a prob. but walking doesn't allow you to see much of the island.

Fishinmishin
15-04-2005, 11:07 PM
I'm prob gonna live it up and hire a house :). My birthday and the wife's pregnant (if she comes). Sleeps 6 so only works out to $45 per person for all three nights and saves some time and gear cleaning. Anyone camping can stop by for a hot shower for only $5 per 5 minutes ;D ;). So I'm prob looking for 4-5 to share it with me. Ideal if anyone taking a 2WD as close to east beach and pt lookout. Where do you guys think you might set camp? Flinders or 18 mile beaches or at pt lookout or amity campsites. Incase any others thinking about renting a house- look here- http://www.raywhitestraddie.com/rentals.htm. Although it does take away from the whole social aspect of the M&G.
Cheers, Jay

bugman
16-04-2005, 04:45 AM
I think it would be best to organise a big camp somewhere down on main beach. For this reason it's probably better off being a straight beach fish.

Straddie is a big place so if people stay all over the place it will be hard to catch up especially over just a few days. Having said all that if someone wants to take their boat or family or whatever - then do so and I'm sure we can all catch up at some time.

Speaking from experience it's quite expensive to take your boat over on the barge.

I'm sure there will be heaps of room in 4wd's going over. And there's a water taxi service that can bring people over at any time with someone organised to pick them up from Dunich.

Bugman

rando
16-04-2005, 06:27 AM
Bugman/ Ausfishers
Ive been to straddie a heap of times but never camped down the beach. I believe you have to go a fair way down though.
Do you know a good spot for a heap of people to set up?? if so how would i find it. At these M&Gs does every usually set up in close proximity? If so is it family friendly or am I better off leaving mum and the kinds out of it.
Cheers
Rando

mini696
16-04-2005, 07:04 AM
Could someone give me a rundown on the ins and outs on Straddie, Maps, decsriptions of the camping areas, access for small tinnies.

Would it be worth taking a tinnie and 2wd, or would I be better off going without either and beach fishing?

Please Help
Mick

adriancorrea
16-04-2005, 12:42 PM
That date for me is a goer.
I will need to go over with someone, whos got room
Fishinmishin I might be taking you up on that offer to share a house as the wife is also prego and is thinking of coming over for the weekend, I will let you know asap

Tight Lines
Adrian

skippa
16-04-2005, 03:16 PM
Yep,

Not cheap to take the boat over. Did it a couple of years back and it cost $188 return for 4x4 and 17ft boat. We were there 2 weeks in a house along Flinders and only managed to get out 3 times due to crap weather.

Now usually barge 4x4 over and take boat too camping now at Amity and leave boat moored in front of site.

Cheers,
Tony 8)

stevo
18-04-2005, 06:52 AM
Hi there people, A beach camp sounds good to me, but doesn't suit everyone. We can get a number of people to 4wds and work it out from there. Had we decided on dates yet? Never too cold # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #For those that would like a few comforts have a look here
www.stradbrokeholidays.com.au then check under accomadation, quite a range to choose from. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] ;D :o The barge is $94 return without any discount.

Stevo

Fishinmishin
18-04-2005, 08:39 AM
Dates are 19-22 May. I recon camping is prob. best done just off the foreshore a couple KMs south of the causeway unless the winds are strong and have a SE in them. Then Flinders beach would be the go. Camping is def. the go for all those that are willing as it is a M&G. I'm just trying to get one last trip in with the wife before we got kids and don't know how she'll go roughing it out. If she passes, I'll def. be in for camping. For the rest, unless your pregnant or a wuz ;) ;D do it tough. At least Adrian and I have the wife to use as an excuse for hot showers, lounges and fridge. Adrian, if the house is the go then your welcome to ride in the 4B. Come the start of May, Bugman (nominated by vote ;)) or I will start to put up a post to get numbers, organise some car pooling and trip details. I'm sure we can work out a ferry discount as I've been able to before. The more the merrier, so hopefully we pull some good numbers.
Rando, I beleive we'll get good numbers and try set camp close. A mini town ;D. I'm sure families are all welcome. Just bring them some ear plugs for when the drinks start to flow and the mouths turn messy ;).
Mick, I'd say sharing in someones 4B would make for a better trip and with a long weekend only, you won't get value out of the tinnie. I'm just considering towing Fishinmishin if I end up being able to get out by Tue-Sun and if the weather is good enough for runs out SP.
Cheers, Jay

Burley_Boy
17-05-2005, 09:13 PM
Now I haven't checked this for a few days but this M&G was looking very thin on the ground, personally I was 50/50 but its gone back to zero,,, sorry myself and the family can't get to this one but I do want to see Nth Straddie so "I will return"

bugman
19-05-2005, 04:16 AM
Yep seems a fizzer - I'm out so I can spend the time working on the boat to get it ready for the following weekend.

Sorry gents but we really should do one of these beach trips soon.

Bugman

rando
19-05-2005, 11:32 AM
Guys
Sorry to leave it so late but Ive had to drop out also, very disappointed I was looking forward to it & Ive tried to keep my options open but, work has b.

Fishin_Dan
19-05-2005, 01:43 PM
Looks like we've all bailed.... I'm strapped for cash (DAMN YOU TO HELL BILLS!!!), so can't make it...

I think we should definately organise something though in the near future. Would be good to put a face to the name and drink int he hand! ;D

mackmauler
19-05-2005, 01:47 PM
we had a meet and greet and dunwich once, was a cheap and cheerful one, quick boat ride over to the 1 mile, some of these things can get a bit out of hand with the planning.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
19-05-2005, 03:33 PM
i shall kill things at the southern end then

could be some XOS tailor coming inside with the tide & a booming swell / breeze combo outside

straddie
19-05-2005, 04:15 PM
Beauty. With all the skirts dropping out it leaves that much more room for us serious surf nuts ;D At least it looks like I won't have to share my bundy with anyone now.

MY-TopEnder
19-05-2005, 04:38 PM
What sheer bloody luck....

I had said i'd go to this thing then the post disapeared along with my PM from Fishinmision about the thing. So i thought bugger it i'll go this weekend.

I'm booked to leave from Friday night till the Sunday. I'm staying at The Islander Resort.

I'll be bringing some fishing gear too.

rando
19-05-2005, 04:39 PM
I resent that, straddie.!!!..anyway ITs a tutu ;D ;D ;D
Rando

straddie
19-05-2005, 05:40 PM
I resent that, straddie.!!!..anyway ITs a tutu ;D ;D ;D
Rando
...well if you have the legs for it ;D

I plan on fishing pretty hard while I'm over there, it's not too often I can get away without taking the usual "additional baggage" of wifey and munchkins.

Should have the toes in the sand sometime tomorrow arvo and come back whenever, Sunday maybe, intend hitting main hard, or might drop back to flinders if the breeze gets too much east in it.

Accomadation? Le Stradbroke International open air resort, 30 km plus of ocean front, easy parking, and one big mofo of a saltwater pool (for members, guests and bona fide visitors only).

Look for the crusty old fart that looks like he has been shipwrecked for the last six weeks, and just washed up on the shore.