PDA

View Full Version : Rec fishing licence sees funds put back

nsw_fisheries
18-05-2005, 06:16 AM
http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/general/news/Newsroom/16_may_05_-_rec_fishing_licence_sees_funds_put_back_into_the_ water

"This document has been posted for information and to encourage discussion among yourselves. For more information from NSW DPI on the issue, please visit our web site on www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au"

JewseeTHAT
18-05-2005, 06:50 AM
Codswallop, where are the funds to employ people to be out and about, enforcing regulations re bag limits and sizes? Every single one of us has seen people doing the wrong thing, but reporting it, and expecting any action is fantasy land stuff. And what about the pro's? They're still dragging nets about, gutting fish nurserys and generally destroying the fishery. Why were no restrictions placed on the pro's activities in the Macleay River? Don't be telling me it was because there was no public interest when called for! Licencing of rec fishers is a JOKE and any benefit returned is almost non-existent.

Dezzer
19-05-2005, 07:49 AM
Do kids have to be licensed to fish in NSW? It would be a sad day when a youngun had to pay to fish. Other activities like breaking into houses might start to look better. Actually it would be a sad day when any body has to pay in QLD. With boat, car and trailer rego, actually owning a boat, bait & tackle costs and etc me feels i've already contributed my share to gov. coffers and the economy in general. Rue the day.

agnes_jack
19-05-2005, 08:42 AM
Excuse my ignorance,
But how in the hell do you manage to spend $446,000 dollars on 5 F.A.D's ???

Regards, Tony ::) ::) ::)

banshee
19-05-2005, 12:36 PM
Fish stocking,Habitat restoration,Reasearch,Education and Rec only havens,I'm happy to cough up $25 a year.
Dezzer,anyone under the age of 18 does not need to be licensed,likewise an adult assisting a person under the age of 18 does not need to be licensed(provided they have no fishing gear),holders of an Australian Pension Card are also exempt.
FADS are deployed and retrieved on a yearly basis for maintenance and repair,could have some thing to do with their costing.

Dezzer
19-05-2005, 12:56 PM
Banshee, Good to hear that kids don't need a license. Common sense prevailing for once
Cheers, Dezzer

bigdan123
19-05-2005, 01:16 PM
banshee
im with you i would pay $25.00 a year
but i would like to see $ to buy the pro's out
in bays and estuarys. ;)

dasher
19-05-2005, 05:46 PM
Load of crap. Vic & NSW have wasted heaps and just supplied jobs for the boys. If you're serious read the following.

Private Pleasure Vessel (PPV) Levy

Background

The recreational sector currently makes financial contributions to fisheries
management through the Private Pleasure Vessel (PPV) levy. Under the Transport
Operations (Marine Safety) Regulation 1995, this levy is paid each time a boat
registration is renewed. Those funds are then remitted to the Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries for the management of recreational fisheries.
The Queensland Government currently spends approximately $13 million annually on the management of recreational fishing and around $2.2 million is collected through the PPV levy.

Proposal

To increase the PPV levy from $12.30 to $15.00 per boat registration per annum.
Rationale The PPV levy provides a simple, fair and cost effective means of recreational fishers contributing to the costs of fisheries management. While it is recognised that not all recreational fishers own boats and not all boat owners take part in recreational fishing, the government is of the view that this mechanism captures the majority of recreational fishers who derive significant benefits from access to fisheries resources. This is particularly the case in relation to offshore fisheries where the costs of management, in particular compliance, are generally much greater.

Alternatives

Adoption of alternative arrangements to the PPV levy for collecting monies is unlikely to be as cost effective as the current system. Any alternative arrangements would require the establishment by government of additional administrative arrangements to those currently in place for the registration of private vessels. This would result in additional costs to government without any measurable benefits to the community and would not be in the public interest.
Impacts

The proposed fee increase of $2.70 per annum is unlikely to have a measurable impact at the individual or regional level. The increased revenues will assist the government in maintaining and improving the management services currently provided to the recreational fishing sector.

Stocked Impoundment Permit Scheme

Background

Fisheries legislation currently requires that persons fishing in some freshwater
impoundments within Queensland hold a permit to do so. There are currently 29
freshwater impoundments covered by the scheme. Permits are issued for periods of one week at a fee of $7 or for one year at a fee of $35. The majority of the money spent by the Queensland Government on stocking freshwater with fish comes from the Stocked Impoundment Permit Scheme (SIPS).
About $0.55m is collected annually from the SIPS program, of which 75% is returned to stocking groups participating in the program (about $0.41m). Additional funds (about $0.16m) are provided under a separate grant scheme bringing the total amount spent by the Government on freshwater fish stocking to $0.57 million per year.

Proposal

It is proposed to extend the SIPS to Koombooloomba Dam and Storm King Dam. The weekly ($7) and annual ($35) permit fees will be retained at their current levels.

Rationale

The proposed extension of the SIPS to these two additional impoundments was
requested by the relevant fish stocking groups, and is supported by the mpoundment and water controlling bodies, local governments and the Freshwater Management Advisory Committee.

Alternatives

No alternatives were considered. The proposal has been requested by the local
community and is in line with government policy on the stocking of freshwater
impoundments.

Impacts

The proposal to include Koombooloomba Dam and Storm King Dam in the SIPS
program comes at the request of the stocking groups in these areas, and has the
general support of local recreational fishers and the community. Their inclusion will assist in improving the recreational fishing experience in these areas as well as provide added economic benefit to the local area. The fee of $7 for a weekly permit and $35 for an annual permit is the same as that charged in the other 29 freshwater impoundments already in the scheme. This is considered a reasonable cost to those fishers who benefit directly from the improved recreational fishing experience provided by the scheme.

A rec licence would rape the current SIP and stocking of dams would again become public funded. ??? ??? Your choice.

Daintreeboy
19-05-2005, 06:10 PM
Tony, how about you and I go into partnership making and selling/installing FAD's? Sounds like there's some good money to be made ;D

nonibbles
19-05-2005, 06:33 PM
I'd love to be part of the R&D team for that, Daintreeboy

banshee
20-05-2005, 05:34 PM
Dasher what you have writen has no bearing what so ever on this thread,just as you couldn't give a rats arse what we do down here,I couldn't give one for your system.Read the heading again and offer something that is constructive,be it negative or otherwise.

agnes_jack
21-05-2005, 08:48 AM
Daintree
Sounds like a go mate!
I rekon we could make em for about $200 each, fuel for deployment and checking about $400, replacement ropes and chains and other maintenance about $300 per year,misc. asst costs $1000 #total cost.....$2700.00

That leaves us a profit of $443,000
Thats $200,000 each plus contributions to super fund and a new boat each year ;D

Bugger that!!!!!! Wouldn't even get out of bed for that pittance!!!!

Regards, Tony ;D ;D ;D ::)

Foxie
22-05-2005, 04:37 PM
Years ago I read that in the USA that 1% of all tackle,boat sales goes into a fund to help upgrade there fishing and waterways. Seems like a fair user pays system and they have billions in their account to fix things This moneydid not go into the governments greedy hands but into some fund set by up some nationial fishing bodywho then decided where the money was needed most.

Gazza
23-05-2005, 05:38 AM
Yeah Foxie ,over here in QLD....
we pay a PPV which some bloodsucker is considering putting UP!! [smiley=angryfire.gif]

we pay GST of Ten(10) percent on FISHING & non-fishing purchases.....

Then we "beg" costello [smiley=devil.gif] ,to give it back to us [smiley=cowboy.gif] [smiley=guitarist.gif] [smiley=guitarist.gif] [smiley=guitarist.gif]

[smiley=hammer.gif] [smiley=hammer.gif] I Feel BETTER NOW!! [smiley=hammer.gif] [smiley=hammer.gif]

PinHead
23-05-2005, 06:10 AM
If you add up the figrues they are spending $2,325,000..licenses are $25 each..that equates to 93,000 licenses. With over 6 million people in NSW is someone trying to say that only 93,000 licenses are issued ?That is not a very big percentage of the population who have purchased licenses. If even 30% (1,800,000) of the population bought a license that would equate to $45,000,000.00. Seems like the $2.3 mill they are talking about is a long way short of reality...or is the remainder on admin costs?

Based on those figures I sure am glad we do not have a license scheme here and hopefully never will.

Dezzer
23-05-2005, 06:32 AM
Here, Here Pinhead. It's just a fact that any funding controlled by a government gets heavily chewed up by the coffers before getting to where it should be going. The suits seem to need a "feasibility study" before deciding whether to scratch their ass or not. Maybe if a seperate body made up of fair dinkum fisherman were the distributors of such funds more bucks would see the light of day.
Still, it doesn't seem that theres much left to enjoy nowadays without paying a fee and if you multiply what you spend on recreational fishing by the amount of people in our great state that fish it's pretty obvious we contribute a lot to the economy already.
Just my opinion!

banshee
23-05-2005, 03:39 PM
Licenses are priced as follows,3 days-$5,1 month-$10,1 year-$25,3 years-$70.The most popular licenses are the 3 day and then the 1 month(where I work) this money then goes into a trust and is administered by the expenditure committee who is made up of......wait for it.......fisherman elected to the positions by rec anglers.Administration is firmly capped at 10% this has not been breached...yet.By far the largest portion of money raised goes into serviceing a debt incured by the initial setting up of rec fishing havens,this debt is not expected to be cleared for another three years,once this debt is settled the second round of commercial buyouts will take place.If this system fails it will be because we are apathetic or we put the wrong fishermen in charge of the coffers.

Dezzer
23-05-2005, 04:21 PM
Interesting Banshee, thanks for the info

peterbo3
23-05-2005, 04:41 PM
It is really great to see that Qld Fisheries have realised that the cost of offshore enforcement is so high. Perhaps that is why you NEVER see them. I fished off Moreton Is for years. The one & only time I saw anyone from Fisheries out there was during the Humpback migration season & a pair of fools in a rubber duck approached me in the lee of Cape Moreton light & proceeded to tell me about whale exclusion zones. Why were they fools? [smiley=dunce.gif] [smiley=dunce.gif] [smiley=stupid.gif] [smiley=stupid.gif] They managed to hook their OB leg around my anchor rope.
Now I have moved S of Mackay there is even less enforcement. No checks at the ramp when 30+ plus big trailers are parked there on a calm day. But Fisheries has got a flash new office building just over the Pioneer River. So who spends the levy & where does it go? ??? ???

basserman
23-05-2005, 05:01 PM
well i think the licenceing is a good thing and i'm more than happy to pay my way

yeh the cost of the fad could be that high as there is quite a few of them out there now and not only that some time they are becomeing disloged (mainly by dumb boaties tieing up to them) but not only that you see alot more things happening around that you may not notice but if you really are watching you sure see it like the habitate restoration and putting out alot more infomation like the stickers for boats that have the fish picture one it as well as the size limit
sure we would all like to see more enforcment but how many time have we also seen some idoit on the road with no copper in sight ??? i know i sure pay more to use the roads than for the waterways ;D
alot of the river have many years of damage done to them and it will take longer than a few years to repaire it but i can already see improvement ;D