PDA

View Full Version : Keeping yabbies fresh

Volvo
24-05-2005, 04:00 AM
Okay you good peoples , which of yez can give me info on preserving yabbies for another outing if one still has some left over at days end ???...
Cheers

Glind
24-05-2005, 04:52 AM
Put them in a open container with some of the dry ribbon weed that is found washed up on the beaches at this time of the year. Do not wet the weed or the yabbies and they will, amazingly be okay the next day. Alternatively, you can put the yabbies in a container and sprinkle wood shavings and saw dust. I have used both methods and they both work, but the dry brownish ribbon weed is more available that the saw dust.
Tim

gunna
24-05-2005, 05:22 AM
I see the bait shops keep them in large flat containers in less than 1" of water. Must stay aerated better ??

bigdan123
24-05-2005, 05:33 AM
alive:roll them up in damp newspaper and keep them cool
dead:metho them same as beach worms but with no sand then freeze.
both ways work realy well [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] ;)

Maria
24-05-2005, 08:16 AM
Wrapping them up with some seaweed in a piece of old hessian sack works well. Keep em in a dark/cool place and that will stop most of them from fighting too. If anything is wet, remember to change it regularly or it will foul quickly.

Ben

MulletMan
24-05-2005, 09:51 AM
Go to your local produce store and buy some dry hay - they will last in that for about five days if you regularly go through and chuck out the dead ones! An occasional spray with some salt water is also a help but make sure you keep them in a cool and dark place. In the catching process, it is important to reject all those that look wounded, dead or bruised! They will send the rest off real fast!

NeilD
24-05-2005, 01:35 PM
Place in a shallow container with a little salt water(not enough to cover) and place in an esky or fridge for a day or two. Check regularly and remove dead ones

Neil