PDA

View Full Version : Wide bay bar crossing

OandaFX
26-05-2005, 09:04 PM
I am wanting to do a trip up to wide bay bar. Any info and tips about the bar at present would be appreciated

dazza
28-05-2005, 03:55 AM
hi phil,
get onto tin can bay marine rescue they will have up to date info. as with all bars really depends on the weather and sea conditions. they will give you inner and outer marks. make sure you log on and they will see you through. watch the swell/outer bank break. the outer banks stand up in a south easter.
apparently a fairly big sailing cat went over a couple of weeks ago.
cheers
dazza

cabfisher
29-05-2005, 04:04 AM
Hi I went over that bar some 25 years ago I have no idear of presant condisions But in my time I took my h28 sailing yacht in and back out several times without and dramers I used Alan Lucas Crusing the coral coast I think the book was called .
But first things first weather condisions are in portant And only cross it in the a m before the sun is at it peak , So as you can the leads to cross the outer bar and pick up the iner bar and always get local knowlage before you make any attempt to cross
Good luck and take care .
Cheers Harry

Lucky_Phill
29-05-2005, 06:45 AM
Good advice Dazza,

Yes, the Tin Can Bay VMR can give you gps marks for the trip over and back, they ask you to call prior to crossing and once you have reached the other side, and same for the return trip.

Basically, if it appears too rough to fish, it'll be too rough to cross the bar. The land marks on Inskip Point and Fraser Island are still accurate ( these are shown clearly on the Sunmap ). The shallowest I have found over the channel is 17ft, but don't let that fool you.

And don't consider the fishermens gutter crossing, that requires local knowledge.

Having said all that, thunderbird and i have crossed the bar, ignoring the channel, but that was a very good day.

Remember about that outter bank, just when you think you're clear, you look ahead and there are greenies building.

Good luck and safe boating

Phill