PDA

View Full Version : Is this a blackall ?

markpeta
22-05-2005, 10:56 AM
Is this a Blackall ?

Thanks Mark

Bullux
22-05-2005, 11:08 AM
sure is markpeta not that good on the table
cheers Bullux

TonyM
22-05-2005, 02:37 PM
A lot of people would disagree with you on that bullux

Actually they can be a very good chew indeed, although it depends on whether they are affected by iodine (almost always are up north) but rarely here in hervey bay.

The key to blackall is to give the gills a sniff, if they smell of iodine throw them back. They need to be bled well and straight on the ice. If you skin them they taste great.

It's a common misnomer that they are mother in law fish, however as I mentioned above this depends a lot on where they are caught.

philip_thomson
22-05-2005, 02:47 PM
ive got to agree with tony on this one. i caught a 2kg specimen at misery reef (noosa) at easter and must say that after i skinned and fillited the fish it tasted really good. its not brilliant like tuskie or yellafin tuna but sure is better than no fish.

cheers phil

chemmy
22-05-2005, 02:48 PM
it is a slate
and my oldies love them

logan_whiting
22-05-2005, 02:55 PM
it's a mother in-law fish feed it to the cats

Sportfish_5
22-05-2005, 03:37 PM
Lot better fish in the sea to eat than them 8)

mackmauler
22-05-2005, 03:47 PM
I look forward to the replies on these milf fish, funny stuff!

SeaSaw
22-05-2005, 05:34 PM
I would have to be reallly hungry to eat a blackall :P Milf ..... now that another story ;D lol

Hoges
22-05-2005, 06:29 PM
[quote author=SeaSaw Milf ..... now that another story ;D lol [/quote]

Mothers I would Like to F.... :o fish with! LOL

major-defect
22-05-2005, 09:05 PM
looks like like a mother inlaw but slightly different.Tonym might be right.Mother inlaws alllrrriight if ya bleed it good ,skin it and eat it fresh never freeze.

TonyM
23-05-2005, 11:19 AM
It goes by a few names.

Blackall, Slatey Bream, and Painted Sweetlips are a few of them ;)

Angla
23-05-2005, 12:15 PM
Fat lipped slate bream

Only nice fresh apparently

I throw them back as I prefer to go back empty handed

Angla

devocean
23-05-2005, 02:18 PM
Someome should just post a pic of a slatey (mother in law) on the opening page of ausfish as they seem to be popping up pretty frequently. As for chewing not a chance there are better eating thongs in the sea.

markpeta
23-05-2005, 03:18 PM
Just ate it not to bad. Baked the fillets with butter and some herbs. Not very differant than a bream.

Mark

Mick
24-05-2005, 02:38 AM
Someome should just post a pic of a slatey (mother in law) on the opening page of ausfish as they seem to be popping up pretty frequently. As for chewing not a chance there are better eating thongs in the sea.

I was going to say the same dam thing. About once a week someone is posting a pic of a painted sweetlip / blubberlips / mother in law / blackall / and whatever else you want to call em (I know there is a slight difference in all of them).
What is going on? We have the same conversation over and over. Starts off by saying "what is this fish?" Then people mention what it is then everyone says how crap they are too eat and then some come on and say there not too bad.
De Ja bloody vu!
By the way, for the millionth time I'll state they taste like the eraser on my pencil, but thats just my opinion.
Mick

Dignity
25-05-2005, 03:04 PM
Just ate it not to bad. Baked the fillets with butter and some herbs. Not very differant than a bream.

Mark

Mark the trick with these fish is to treat them like tailor, bleed well, put on ice for a while and don't overcook them, the difference of 60 seconds has a lot to do with it- they will go to mush otherwise they are quite ok to eat. To be honest I always put them back in the hope that the fish gods smile on me and send me something better.

As for others suggestion of posting pics on the home page (or anywhere else for this matter to stop these posts) is understandable but then there are people who are new to different types of fishing eg always inshore and rarely offshore, and sometimes may not have faith about what is in print and do respect other peoples opinions. After all the pics don't tell you much other than what they look like and also the reason a lot of people join Ausfish.

Sam

longtail
29-05-2005, 07:01 PM
yep thats a blackall , chew alright on the bbq ;)

PinHead
30-05-2005, 04:02 AM
"By the way, for the millionth time I'll state they taste like the eraser on my pencil, but thats just my opinion."

Some people appear to have wierd dietary input.

Lucky_Phill
30-05-2005, 07:14 AM
MILF is Mother In Law Fish.

hey Rob ?

Phill

MulletMan
30-05-2005, 11:36 AM
They can be cooked very nicely in the following recipe!
1. # Skin the fillets
2. # Pour a half a cup of vodka
3. # Add half a cup of freshly squeezed orange juice
4. # 1 tspn brown sugar
5. # 1/4 tspn vanilla essence
6. # On a low heat, cook the fish in the above solution
7. # When tender, chuck the fish to the s***ouse and drink the liquid