PDA

View Full Version : Sea Sickness Tablets

_Matt_
26-05-2005, 10:36 AM
Just wondering what sort of sea sickness tablets people are using. I don't often get sea sick, but when I do, it really spoils the fishing. I have used "kwells" but I don't find they do a whole lot for me. [smiley=sick2.gif]

What other brands are out on the market that are effective? Any ideas??

DaneCross
26-05-2005, 11:18 AM
Theres another brand called 'Travel Calm'. Then there's the natural remedies like ginger and wrist bands that work on the pressure points in your wrist.
Go down to your local chemist, they stock all of the above.
DC

squidgiepalmer
26-05-2005, 11:18 AM
I use travelcarm they are ok but i do get thirsty and if im on the trawlers i get a bit tired but on reaction to pills i don't get sea sick
cheers squidgie

Billo
26-05-2005, 12:27 PM
DRAMAMINE !

the bomb ! never fealt queezy or sick or dehydrated or anything . No side affects and no sickness ...

Although every person will react differently to the chemical makeup , every one i have put onto them have said they work wonders

_Matt_
26-05-2005, 12:44 PM
DRAMAMINE !

the bomb ! never fealt queezy or sick or dehydrated or anything . No side affects and no sickness ...

Although every person will react differently to the chemical makeup , every one i have put onto them have said they work wonders

THATS THE ONE! I couldn't think of the name. I spoke to a fellow a while back who swore by Dramamine, I just couldn't put my finger on the name. He reckoned Kwells didin't even compare to it. He used it on a cruise and said he would never use any other brand again.
Cheers [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

southernson
26-05-2005, 06:19 PM
I reckon AVIL is the go. Ya gotta let em see ya licence to get i think but its great. Never failed me.

Burley_Boy
26-05-2005, 06:24 PM
Stay off the breckie and stay off the milk products then pop a single kwill n drink water.
Never failed yet. :D

aussiebasser
26-05-2005, 06:46 PM
I reckon AVIL is the go. Ya gotta let #em see ya licence to get i think but its great. Never failed me.

Best thing about Avil is they cure hay fever as well. #If you want them for hayfever your doctor has to prescribe them, but for sea sickness you can buy them over the counter. #Same pill different box. #Great anithystemine.
I used Travacalms recently. #Worked pretty good, well, I didn't barf all over Mono's boat.

SURF_SNIPER
27-05-2005, 01:02 PM
when i was on crew in the air sea rescue i used to use the wrist bands if we were going outside. they worked very well. best cure for me was to stick me at the helm and id be fine.

Drew

blaze
27-05-2005, 01:34 PM
got a mate uses travel calm, seeem to be the best. He said he couldnt go without them until one day he was out and went to take them, none on board, he wasnt sick that day, took his time with rigging at eye height etc, he is back on them again now though. he is also better if given the helm, not sure i like him there when its a little rough as he has not much experience
cheers
blaze

Dendrobe
27-05-2005, 04:24 PM
Never had a problem with Kwells, but then I've never used anything else. I take one every time I plan to go off shore on the ethos that its not worth buggering up a day by not taking them. I've stuck with with them on the principle of if its not broke don't fix it. Used to use them when I did a fair bit of low level aerial surveillance and have stuck with them.

trout3030
28-05-2005, 03:26 PM
I use dramamine. Find kwells make me drowsy.

cabfisher
29-05-2005, 04:18 AM
My son used to get sick every time we would put to sea when we were living on my H28 yacht and in the end he would stay off milk Prouducts and soft drinks And eat dry Arrout Biskets on the first day out then he was ok but keep off the soft drink Beer ect .
My wife uses Stimmertell Tablets Which you need to get a strip to buy them from the Chemist .
ok Hope it works for you Harry,

Capt_Asparagus
29-05-2005, 08:02 AM
Here in NZ, there is only the one really reliable seasick remedy, and that is the Paihia Bombers.
These are only available from the Paihia Pharmacy (in the bay of Islands) their ph is 09-402-7034 fax -7342.

They are a 2 pill system, one is an anti-histamine based pill, the other is a caffiene derivative. The combined result is you do not get seasick AT ALL, and also do not get drowsy.

They are really well known over here among regular sea users. They have been off the market for months, due to the govt suddenly deciding that they need to go thru a new certification system, leaving NZ feeling queezy on the sea, but HOORAY they are back on the market again now, I just got my pills today! yaaaayyy!!

They are NZ$2.50 a dose, max of 20 doses per person. They last for about 24hrs each dose.

Side effects? They make the back of your throat dry, due to the antihistamine, and they ride a lot better I have found if you have something in your belly, but then, I am sensitive to caffiene, even coffee on an MT stomach makes me feel bluuurrgh.
But man, when you are out in the weather we get here, it is DAMN good to know you will be happi-de-doo-dah all day with the Paihia bombers!

Oh, and yes,i think they do send these pills around the world, they get yachties all over the pacific calling for them, i know that anyhow!
Cheers, Stu.

nigelr
29-05-2005, 01:47 PM
The more you get out, the less you will need anything. Travelcalm work for my son, fortunately I don't suffer unless I've been on the turps...............then I get what I deserve. A bad night's sleep is also not the go, although sometimes anticipation of the forthcoming event makes this hard to avoid;then go the Travelcalm! Good luck and cheers! :)

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
29-05-2005, 05:48 PM
I don't get crook,( touch wood ), but mates of mine do. They have tried lots of different potions, even wrapping their chest in brown paper! For them, ginger is the best. Start eating it a couple of days before you go out.
Either in cooking or in lollies. My daughter eats it for carsickness as well. Never been better.

Dave

_Matt_
01-06-2005, 04:47 AM
Just

_Matt_
01-06-2005, 04:48 AM
Wanted

_Matt_
01-06-2005, 04:48 AM
to

_Matt_
01-06-2005, 04:49 AM