PDA

View Full Version : NQ M&G

Nathanrb4
22-03-2005, 10:49 AM
G`day guys and girls,
After reading all the report of the 1770 M&G i think that us NQ ausfishers should try and get something together for winter this year. Am really just wanting to see what peoples reactions and idea are for something like this? do we think we could organise something? where would we have it? my obvious choice would be hinchinbrook again because of all the different options we`d have and its half way between cairns and townsville (sorry mick, devo and the other guys south of townsville ;D). what would be the best dates ect.....
Anyway lets get some brainstorming done and see what we come up with.

devocean
22-03-2005, 11:17 AM
I reckon we should do it at the Glouscter Island Eco resort near airlie beach. Quiet awesome creek and reef fishing ask Jack lives here hell agree

krazyfisher
22-03-2005, 11:47 AM
yep dingo, airlie much better spot than hinchinbrook. who wants to fish in brown water ;D

wheezer
22-03-2005, 11:48 AM
I'll be over on hinchinbrook mid-late may if anything's going down.

Nathanrb4
22-03-2005, 12:13 PM
http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/publications/p01107aa.pdf/Island_camping_in_the_Whitsundays.pdf
found this for the airlie area. are the 2 gloucester island camp sites the one your talking about devo?
what time of years best down that way?

Leo_N.
22-03-2005, 12:20 PM
I'd be keen regardless of the spot. Lucinda does offer good fishing when it is blowing up a bit though - any good sheltered fishing inshore at Witsundays Dev?

devocean
22-03-2005, 03:09 PM
Inshore whitsundays is very poor lot of boats in the whitsundays, north of whitsundays is barely touched dingo beach glouscter awesome

megafish71
22-03-2005, 04:14 PM
I'd be in if it was around Hinchinbrook, but I'm not towing from Cairns to Airlie.
Ron

Daintreeboy
22-03-2005, 04:26 PM
Unfortunately with the newborn I doubt I'd get a leave pass for this one. I'd love to go though. Here's two ideas I'm happy to float. Have it in the Cairns area and hope for good weather for reef trips. Not the best idea but I have a spare room and can put people up so they don't have to pay accom. Plus, I can make it ;D
I may be able to acces to a hut on the South Arm of the Daintree river. It's a great set up and is an excellent base for the river and surrounding reefs. The owners would probably be happy with a few mud crabs and fish fillets. If people are keen, let me know and I'll see what I can do. Perhaps the Queen's bday weekend?
Cheers, Mark.

Volvo
22-03-2005, 04:39 PM
???Thinking???Thinking???Thinking??? never been as far as cairns anyway :-/..

Robbo_Townsville
22-03-2005, 06:28 PM
Never fished Cairns area, Whitsundays and all those Swedish Backpackers mmmmm. Better play it safe and head north for me. Blooded the new boat on the weekend and will take some pics over easter when fishing up Mission Beach.

Cheers

Bad_Bubby
22-03-2005, 07:51 PM
I'd probably be able to attend a Cairns M&G (as a deckie) but I doubt anywhere else :-/. It depends on the dates too, on aveage one winter month I am usually down south.

Nathanrb4
22-03-2005, 07:56 PM
I gotta say i like the idea of HInchinbrook.
From lucinda we`d have access to the Big jetty, The Palms, Walker, Bramble, Bittomart, Trunk and Rib reefs if the weathers good and to the south end of the channel for those prefer the creeks and if the weathers blowing up. While from Cardwell we`d have the north ead of the channel, missionary bay and creeks plus Gould Island and Otter reef. My thinking for choosing this area would be that even if we get weather like they got at 1770 we`d still be able to wet a line.

NQCairns
23-03-2005, 07:54 AM
I may be in depending on commitments closer to a date but would only travel between Cooktown/Lucinda for a weekend away. Would like some close to camp all weather creek fishing options also.

devocean
23-03-2005, 08:01 AM
Hinchinbrook would be okay but I dont think that time of the year would be to good for the channel. Winter time barra are pretty slow will be some tough fishing

Mick
23-03-2005, 08:51 AM
I'm in for sure! Anywhere between Dingo and Lucinda would suit. I agree with devo however, if we do it in winter, we would want to be reef fishing for best results.
Nathan, having this at Hinchenbrook wouldn't have anything to do with the gazillion fishing spots you have there hey?
Would anyone be interested in doing some spearing as well as fishing?
Mick

Leo_N.
23-03-2005, 10:30 AM
Not in the channel :o

cooky
23-03-2005, 06:32 PM
sounds good to me. I should be able to manage with enough notice. I like the hinchinbrook idea.

Wild_Side
24-03-2005, 04:16 AM
I'm in depending on the dates.
Who wants to hire a house boat???????? ;D ;D

Jason

devocean
24-03-2005, 06:00 AM
No way I have a unit

Mick
24-03-2005, 08:23 AM
A big unit?

Bosunsmate
24-03-2005, 08:43 AM
Hinchinbrook sounds good to me....Only got a bathtub so the deeper stuff ain't in my agenda...Would be good to meet some new friends either way....

max_power
24-03-2005, 11:33 AM
I'd be keen for the southern end of hinchinbrook, but a daintree trip would be awesome as well, plenty of options there as well, the caravan park at pinacle point is awesome.

Cheers

D

Nathanrb4
25-03-2005, 09:21 AM
maybe mick ;) and i`d been keen to do alittle spearing aswell.

cooky
25-03-2005, 04:29 PM
i'd be keen to give spearing a go - haven't been before.

machusla (spelling?) beach on Hinchinbrrok used to be a good spot for a camp too.

nonibbles
26-03-2005, 06:43 AM
Macushla's good but there's a limit on numbers there. As far as my attendance is concerned - probably not, sorry.

devocean
26-03-2005, 08:05 AM
Hinchinbrook looks like a goa I think. Dont worry about camping heaps of cheap accomodation, however I think I might be more interested in the Lucinda side of things. Got some decent marks for the place should keep everyones lines busy

fishyfingers
27-03-2005, 02:58 AM
Hinnchinnabrooka sounds great but is it big enough for all of us.Has anyone considered Susan Island.

cooky
27-03-2005, 06:18 AM
Has anyone considered Susan Island.

never heard of it / her

NQCairns
27-03-2005, 07:50 AM
I think it is near grafton, NSW- northern rivers.

Nathanrb4
27-03-2005, 03:34 PM
so does anyway have any ideas on dates? i`m pretty much free when ever (uni student).

Wild_Side
28-03-2005, 06:48 AM
How does Mayday week end sound. I should be back in QLD ???
I don't know if I'll fish the channel, but I'ill be keen to go wide.
[smiley=gossip.gif]

Wild Side
(Jason)

cooky
28-03-2005, 07:38 AM
too hard to guess with me, but with enough notice ( month would be good) I should be okay anytime.

The long weekend could be good, but very busy -would be better to go on a normal weekend and take a day or two off (with enough notice most people should be okay). Not as busy, easier / cheaper accom

Mick
30-03-2005, 08:13 AM
4 to 5 weeks notice should be enough for me

max_power
30-03-2005, 08:23 AM
I'm not free until late june, i just bought a house, and I'm busy saving for a seafari's trip through out may. I'd be keen for late june though, the later in the year the better, we have more chance of better weather.

cheers

Drew

Bosunsmate
31-03-2005, 04:16 PM
Mayday weekend would be ok but cost will be limit for me. Regular weekend sounds better cost wise, would be happy to camp, have tarps 3m x 5m and 3m x 3m as well as a couple of tents....Couple of weeks notice would be appreciated, have plenty of camp stores if anyone is interested in camping....Cardwell has a couple of great van parks that would suit.....

toorbul_terror
31-03-2005, 06:07 PM
Can somebody give me some fishing info about Lucinda Hinchinbrook and surrounding areas? As I will be there in 3 weeks

Nathanrb4
31-03-2005, 09:08 PM
What type of fishing you looking at Toorbul? Landbased or you got a boat? if so what size boat? You after barra and jacks? or looking at hitting the reefs?

toorbul_terror
01-04-2005, 04:49 AM
we are taking up two boats 4mtr barra boat and 5.2 half cab for offshore mainly want to chase barra crabs jacks

megafish71
01-04-2005, 12:23 PM
Mayday long weekend is no good for me. Will be kicking back at Mission Beach for the weekend. Don't know if I'll even wet a line, might just play with the kids on the beach. Naahhh, I'll be fishing somewhere.

Ron

max_power
05-04-2005, 05:38 AM
what about the queens brithday long weekend in june?
works for me!
cheers
Drew

Nathanrb4
11-04-2005, 01:11 PM
I thought about queens birthday but being a long weekend i think we`d probly have trouble getting accom. even this far out. I think just a normal weekend would be easiest. What does everyone think? I`d probly head up Friday afternoon and come home sunday or something like that. Still give us all day sat. and sunday morning to fish and wouldn`t have the crowds that are there on long weekends.

Mick
12-04-2005, 03:29 AM
It doest bother me, I have heeps of holidays oweing to me. If it is a normal week end, I'd still more then likely take a few days off either side of the week end. I was hoping to have the M and G as soon as possible for 2 reasons, (1) going to the snow in July or August and (2) waiting sucks.

I know school holidays would suit my other two bowenite fishing partners (after7 and devocean).

Maybe everyone could list 3 or 4 week ends that suits and see if we get a match amoungst them.

Bosunsmate
12-04-2005, 04:38 AM
I'm flex, anytime at all with a weeks notice......

cooky
12-04-2005, 05:36 AM
i should be fine with say 3 weeks notice. i would most likely take a day or two either side too. Camping at Taylors Beach could be an option too - nice this time of year (cheap too). Straight across from Taylors beach boat ramp (about 300 metres) - meaning a quick trip for extra supplies (food, grog, fuel). Safe to keep boats in the water as you can see in photo below - creek side (for that quick getaway when the weather is good). Lots of shade, lots of room, nice sand, and plenty of good fishing straight off the beach (nice Flatheads last time).

Not many people camp there, because most think it's illegal (it's not) - it's just not encouraged. No facilities there - so better as a boys trip type thing. Good to have a tinny or two to be able to head down the creek fishing if weather;s not good.

Taylors beach is a quick run across to the Palms (you can see the palms clearly from camp site and also a straight run across to the Lucinda Jetty (the long one).

Of course you can also do Hinchinbrook. Camping is a bit of an advantage with people you don't know as it gives more flexibility and space - also the opportunity to relax and get to know people. You can choose what you want to do - if you just want to relax with a XXXX in a hammock while others go fishing, etc.

just another option

devocean
12-04-2005, 05:37 AM
Not much fishing (gets pretty hammered) at taylors and the area outside is all green I think

Leo_N.
12-04-2005, 05:42 AM
I've been camping at thet exact spot and I am a big fan. Don't underestimate the fishing either - plenty of flathead in the immediate area around campsite and also good for queenies.

cooky
12-04-2005, 05:47 AM
another photo taken from boat anchored at camp site.

cooky
12-04-2005, 05:53 AM
we got some monster flatheads about 30 metres away from camp site - see photo - taken from camp site down the creek.

I'm not sure about it being green 'outside' - we just kept heading straight over to the Palms - out the back - in the middle - anywhere not green. If the fishing's no good at least they;re a beautiful island group. The jetty's not green and they keep catching BIG fish from there (especially at night).

cooky
12-04-2005, 05:53 AM
we got some monster flatheads about 30 metres away from camp site - see photo - taken from camp site down the creek.

I'm not sure about it being green 'outside' - we just kept heading straight over to the Palms - out the back - in the middle - anywhere not green. If the fishing's no good at least they;re a beautiful island group. The jetty's not green and they keep catching BIG fish from there (especially at night).

devocean
12-04-2005, 06:02 AM
Palms have been pretty flogged. I just think there are better oppporunities just down the road at Lucinda. Whilst flathead are fun to catch I think there are better fish to chase in that area. By the way if you are keen to catch barra there the stinger nets at taylors are awesome and hold barra.

cooky
12-04-2005, 06:09 AM
i've got some gps spots out the back of the palms (wrecks and stuff) I got off a bloke I'd like to try, but I'm cool with whatever. I was just thinking more the M&G thing than the fishing, but good fishing would be great too.

nonibbles
12-04-2005, 06:20 AM
Taylors sounds great. #A mate of mine (and my wife's #[smiley=2thumbsup.gif] = better possibility of my attendance) has a rellie that lives there. #Was there only last weekend. #He has a creek/river close by that was full of good sized jacks that he and his nephew helped to extricate. #Not all nearby shoals have been greened out. #Besides its just as easy to get to rib reef from there as it is from Lucinda if you want to head to the reef or palms. #I think we may be staying in Lucinda sometime in June anyway. #Could possibly coincide.

Mick
12-04-2005, 06:50 AM
Taylors sounds fine to me. I like cookys idea about doing ya own thing. Meeting, greeting, drinking, fishing and drinking at everyones comfortable pace. How far of a drive (in a car) is it from Taylors to ramp at dungeness, if people wanted to fish the brook?

cooky
12-04-2005, 06:57 AM
How far of a drive (in a car) is it from Taylors to ramp at dungeness, if people wanted to fish the brook?

i'm guessing (not sure why I don't know) about 20mins to 30mins - could be less / could be more. But definitely less than an hour.

You can get to Hinchinbrook from Taylors by boat too fairly easily - although more economical doing what you've mentioned.

Meeting, greeting, drinking, fishing and drinking at everyones comfortable pace

that suits me as I'm not a fishing guru - still very much a novice.

Leo_N.
12-04-2005, 07:21 AM
How far of a drive (in a car) is it from Taylors to ramp at dungeness, if people wanted to fish the brook?

About 5 min

Bosunsmate
12-04-2005, 07:55 AM
What type of ramp is there at Taylors.....
I need a concrete one due to vehicle constraints

cooky
12-04-2005, 08:46 AM
must be the only thing i didn't get a photo of. Concrete though - two lanes wide - small sand area on side for beaching. Large car park - secure enough (lights, etc). Some larger (8m+) charter boats use this ramp so it's pretty good. Just a bit tricky with strong tidal currents (was for me anyway on my first outing in boat). Forget getting anywhere though on low tide.

cooky
12-04-2005, 08:50 AM
another photo taken from beach house at Taylors. obviously low tide and arrow points to where we camped. at high tide we could motor across to the steps at the bottom of the beach house (my wife and mother-in-law, etc stayed in comfort - holiday rental). I could even get across in my boat (5.4m glass). We found it handy to check in - have a shower, get more ice, etc.

devocean
12-04-2005, 09:06 AM
Mick we could stay at Kates

Mick
12-04-2005, 09:20 AM
OK, well, we better make sure we pick a good week end with tides. No low tides in the mornings! Don't want to be high and dry with no wind.

Mick
12-04-2005, 09:23 AM
Maybe dead between spring and neap tide so we still have a chance at everything. A low tide in the middle of the day and night would be pretty good. This also allows the spearos to dive some deep spots when the sun is at its highest. I'll check Lucinda tides (guessing this is the closest to Taylors) and report back.

Mick
12-04-2005, 11:49 AM
OK, as expected, tides on the week ends are crud for ages. The best looks like the week end of 18th and 19th of June.
We got an incoming tide on the Friday night (high at 6:30pm) and a good run out tide Saturday morning (high at 5:50am running out about 6 foot of water to a low tide at 12:20pm).

So, in a nut shell, we can fish incoming tides in the evening and run outs in the mornings. There will be enough water to run boats around shallow areas at dusk and dawn, can spear in the middle of the day, there is enough run for creeks but not too much and same goes for off shore fishing. Also, the week leading up to this week end has vertually no run at all, so all those sleepy fish are going to wake up pretty hungry.

What do we all think?

cooky
12-04-2005, 12:20 PM
sounds like a great plan Mick - excellent work. enough notice for most of us too. I've forgotten what it's like to be cold, but early mornings and nights in June will remind me fairly quickly.

Mad_Barry
12-04-2005, 01:01 PM
Bit far away to be concrete, but I'll pencil it in

Nathanrb4
12-04-2005, 01:07 PM
Taylors sounds like a great idea! just one question about the camping. is it a 48 hour zone? i camped at balgal at easter and had the locals going nuts cause we were there for 72hours. Anyway i`m in!

cooky
12-04-2005, 01:24 PM
is it a 48 hour zone?

in September last year we actually called the authorities to find out and no restrictions. There are no signs or anything - not a designated camping spot, but not a problem.

We camped for a week and no worries.

cooky
12-04-2005, 01:31 PM
I'll start praying for weather like this. This was last year in September out the back of the Palm Island group (first week out in my first boat).

My Bro-in-law enjoying a nice cold Bundy & Coke - I'm getting thirsty :P).

megafish71
12-04-2005, 01:41 PM
I'll pencil that in and see how Im going closer to the date. Hopefully be there, and Cooky make sure you get that weather right, last time we left the weather up to Dr Dan and he stuffed it all up. lol ;D. I will hold you accountable :o ;D

Cheers Ron

Bosunsmate
12-04-2005, 02:23 PM
Sounds like someone has a plan.....dates are already penciled in with the bic red pencil......Cooky might have to have a gentle word with mother nature to ensure she plays the game to our rules.......

Nathanrb4
12-04-2005, 04:56 PM
i`m going to get in early and just put my name out there for deckie duties on a reef trip if the weathers good :) i will be taking my boat but its not really up the trip out. anyway just keep me in mind you guys with bigger boats!
on another note do we think that maybe we should be ringing the authorities just to make sure about the dates and to cover ourselves? or should we just be showing up and biting the bullet. I dont think they`d have an issue just at easter we rang up and asked if it was ok for us to stay for longer than allowed and they were great about it, even let the ranger guy know we were there and all that. just a thought.

Wild_Side
12-04-2005, 05:02 PM
I lived in taylors for eight years, and my oldies still live there. From the ramp, thier house is straight across the park. I still fish victoria creek often and get a few barra ::). If you have a boat under 15ft or 16ft you can still get around OK on low tide. The ramp is 3 lanes wide, and has great parking.
If I get a chace to head up I'll be staying at my oldies, if any one is interested in piching a tent on the block next door that will be fine.
The channel is only 5 to 10 min's away
The palms is 18 mile from the ramp
Bramble reef is 25 mile from the ramp
Rib reef is 32 mile from the ramp
My red spot is 28 mile from the ramp--plenty of room for a few boats
I have a ramp at another creek just up the road called gentle annie if any one wants to go there. It is a dirt ramp so 4by4's only.
The best tides to fish vicky creek at that time of year is a large high just after daylight running out. You fish the mouth on the full using sardines (spelling ::))3/0 hook just infront of the eyes and NO weight, Targeting chopper, macks, queenies, trevs and barra. Then as the tide goes out you should head up the creek to fish the snags with prawn. ;) Hey Leo.. ;)

Cheers Jason
Wild Side sfs

Wild_Side
12-04-2005, 05:10 PM
Oh its no trouble to camp on the other side of taylors straight across from the ramp," its council land", every body camp there when ever they want with no trouble. There is a amenity block near the ramp.

megafish71
12-04-2005, 06:01 PM
Nathan, no probs mate, if I make it might be looking for a crew member or two. But if the weathers crap (Cooky not doing his job) I might be looking for a spot on a smaller boat.

Cheers Ron

Mick
13-04-2005, 02:10 AM
As we get closer to the date and start finalising details, we can all post the boats we are taking (we will start to be getting an idea what the weather is like as well) and we can work out some deckie positions. Hopefuly no one will miss out on anything.

Cooky, if it's no trouble, I would love swell to be less then a metre, winds at variable 5 knots, not a cloud in sight (except on top of Hinchenbrook Island) and water visability to be more then 20 metres. Also, could you get all the sharks to bugga off to Bowen for the week end. Thanks mate, I owe ya one.

max_power
13-04-2005, 04:07 AM
bugger :( I'm in melbourne that week of the 17th and 18th, so that counts me out, maybe I'll sort out a cairns M&G for september.

cheers

Drew

Bosunsmate
13-04-2005, 04:51 AM
Hey Cooky hope you in the good books with old Mother Nature at the moment, could be difficult if you've been a bad boy with her..........Maybe you could give her a nice dinner and night off before you ask her for the good weather that week end..... ;D

cooky
13-04-2005, 05:26 AM
Nathan, no probs mate, if I make it might be looking for a crew member or two. But if the weathers crap (Cooky not doing his job) I might be looking for a spot on a smaller boat

welcome to fish on my boat if i've got the room (or you don't take up much :)). If the weather is crap - then good chance I'll be found fishing from the beach not trying very hard, but comfortable with a coldie in hand 8)

Guys - I'll throw the date in my diary now and start working on the weather. I should have it sorted by then, I've just got stop releasing so much 'hot air' now - should see world climate change for the better in short time.

I'll cross my fingers too - that should do it.

cooky
13-04-2005, 05:34 AM
As we get closer to the date and start finalising details, we can all post the boats we are taking (we will start to be getting an idea what the weather is like as well) and we can work out some deckie positions. Hopefuly no one will miss out on anything.

couldn't resist getting in early while I've got my photos available (swapping computers in next week). 5.4m glass with 115hp merc - floats on water. good for chewing sand :D Comfortably fish 3 people, although I'm sure 4 at a pinch. Been out to reef once - inexperienced skipper and name of boat TITANIC II - so fear for your life. :-X

cooky
13-04-2005, 05:35 AM
and yes - the above photo taken from camp site at Taylor's Beach. Looks like a terrible day doesn't it.

Leo_N.
13-04-2005, 07:14 AM
The best tides to fish vicky creek at that time of year is a large high just after daylight running out. You fish the mouth on the full using sardines (spelling ::))3/0 hook just infront of the eyes and NO weight, Targeting chopper, macks, queenies, trevs and barra. Then as the tide goes out you should head up the creek to fish the snags with prawn. ;) Hey Leo.. ;)

Cheers Jason
Wild Side sfs

I agree. Heaps of options at this spot.

Nathanrb4
13-04-2005, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the offers guys and if the weathers crap i can fit 2 more in my boat for fishing the creek or channel.
Whats the parking like up there? will there be enough room for all the cars and boats if we get a good turn out?

cooky
13-04-2005, 07:19 AM
Whats the parking like up there? will there be enough room for all the cars and boats if we get a good turn out?

yep - heaps of room. good parking.

Nathanrb4
13-04-2005, 07:21 AM
Awesome what about a pub? ;D

cooky
13-04-2005, 07:37 AM
Awesome what about a pub?

yep - I'll be there with esky.

devocean
13-04-2005, 07:58 AM
So its taylors on the queens birthday weekend sounds good to me

Nathanrb4
13-04-2005, 08:55 AM
isn`t queens birthday the weekend before the 18th and 19th?

Mick
13-04-2005, 09:30 AM
Queens Birthday is 13th of June. Alllllllrrrrighty then..., things are looking good. Those that wanted the run out just after daylight will get their wish.
Another bonus of this week end is the moon rise and set. Midday and midnight. Means one half of the night is pitch black and the other half of the night will be very light. Therefore, guys that are hoping to get some squid to chase fingermark will get there opportunity in the darker half of the night and guys that want to chase barra in the creeks will also get their opportunity in the lighter part of the night. (I think the full moon is the wednesday after this week end) Waaahhhhoooooo!
And more importantly, guys that want to sit and have a beer or 20 with cooky (me for one) can also do this.

after7
13-04-2005, 10:43 AM
Now all dev and mick have to decide is which boat/s to take ,and how to get up there without the other 1/2s,will we chase any pigs if the weather sucks or just use the ice for beer. [smiley=rifle.gif]

max_power
13-04-2005, 12:27 PM
Ok firstly, is taylors beach down near ingham?

secondly, anyone looking for crew, i'm looking for a boat. Pm me with details.

cheers

drew

Nathanrb4
13-04-2005, 12:29 PM
so are we planning on heading up there on the for the queens birthday weekeend or the week after? :-/

Bosunsmate
13-04-2005, 12:46 PM
Taylors Beach 18/19 June

Not the QB weekend......

The Tub will be comin

cooky
13-04-2005, 01:37 PM
The best looks like the week end of 18th and 19th of June.
We got an incoming tide on the Friday night (high at 6:30pm) and a good run out tide Saturday morning (high at 5:50am running out about 6 foot of water to a low tide at 12:20pm).

So, in a nut shell, we can fish incoming tides in the evening and run outs in the mornings. There will be enough water to run boats around shallow areas at dusk and dawn, can spear in the middle of the day, there is enough run for creeks but not too much and same goes for off shore fishing. Also, the week leading up to this week end has vertually no run at all, so all those sleepy fish are going to wake up pretty hungry.

Mick the "weather / tide guru" wrote the above prediction and I think that's a great idea. I'm not overly keen on the QB weekend as Taylors Beach is a popular holiday house location for people from Tully, Ingham, etc and a very popular skiing location on long weekends from what I've been told - this makes beach / creek fishing near camp spot (all up main section of creek almost impossible). QB weekend could also mean other campers. If the weather is good - a long weekend will attract EVERY single boat around the area on to the water too. I've a preference for a normal weekend if possible. People can come for the weekend or stay for a few extra days. I would like to try and get say 4 days in (take off Friday/ Monday.

Mick
14-04-2005, 05:25 AM
The week end after the QB week end is the go i reckon. I just realised its the start of the school holidays as well, not sure what that affect will have. I think we should just go for it. [smiley=end.gif]

After7, about time you made an appearence! Devo and I were thinking about towing my boat up with his car and hoping you'd tow yours up for some offshore stuff. Failing this, we could see if Petey could take us out in his boat. All we'd have to do is pay for fuel and fillet his fish. Also BT may have his boat (big one) going by then as well. I guess it is up to you. By the sounds of this place, you might even be able to get your boat around the creeks here at dawn and dusk which will be high tide.
If Petey wouldn't mind taking his boat out, we could probably fit 5 or 6 of us and go off shore relatively cheap. I think there is a few guys looking for a spot on a big boat if the weather is good. Other advantage is if the weather is good, there would be a few boats all going out at once which will be a hellava lot safer for us dudes that arn't overly familiar with the area.

Mick
14-04-2005, 05:32 AM
Ok firstly, is taylors beach down near ingham?

secondly, anyone looking for crew, i'm looking for a boat. Pm me with details.

cheers

drew

Yeah, pretty close to Ingham. Don't stress about not having boat yet Drew. Just make sure you can be there for now. When it gets closer to the 18th / 19th we will start working out boats and positions available.

Mick
14-04-2005, 05:34 AM
So its taylors on the queens birthday weekend sounds good to me

Week end after Devo. I am bit worried now, cos I know you are heading off to Tassie. Can you still make it? It's the first week end of the school holidays.

max_power
14-04-2005, 05:43 AM
mick, the QB weekend is good for me, the weekend after I'm in melbourne for work.

So looks like I'm out.

Cheers

Drew

Mick
14-04-2005, 05:56 AM
aaarrrrhhhhhh dammit. What dates do you leave and come back? Some of us might be there ealier and leaving later.

cooky
14-04-2005, 06:03 AM
i guess if it's the beginning of the school holidays, then the QB weekend is most likely better. From memory the QB weekend is only one day (3 day weekend), and Taylors is a family holiday location (beach houses), so most likely to be busier over the school holidays. When we went - was the Sept holidays - not that busy, but a few kids around (teenagers) camping and running around in tinnies like loonies.

I guess it's a matter of seeing which weekend suits most. QB weekend will be okay for me too - most likely better actually as I can extend a holiday the week before at Hamilton Island (wedding - not mine) and I'll be able to make sure I've built up the brownie points ;) with the wife.

Mick
14-04-2005, 06:25 AM
I am easy..... can everyone please post if they can make it on the QB week end.

I guess the important thing is to get the most people there as possible.

Nathanrb4
14-04-2005, 06:36 AM
i`ve got a beach house booked at toomula with a heap of mates for QB weekend so the weekend after would be better for me. i`ll be there either way it`ll just mean i`ll have to ditch the beach house if we go QB.

max_power
14-04-2005, 09:56 AM
mick

I can make the QB weekend, I am in melbourne from the 16th to the 19th, so the QB works best for me.

PM me for any other details.

Drew

nonibbles
14-04-2005, 02:21 PM
18th/19th better for me

Barrymundi
14-04-2005, 03:29 PM
lots of dates suggested.

Someone firm a date and see who comes,

You will never get a date suitable to everyone.

Al

Nathanrb4
14-04-2005, 05:39 PM
18th and 19th it is then. Who can make it?

nonibbles
14-04-2005, 07:33 PM
I'm in!

megafish71
15-04-2005, 03:47 AM
At this stage I'll be there, so Cooky this is the weekend that you need to have the weather right for. ;D ;D

Ron

max_power
15-04-2005, 04:32 AM
count me out. :( QB is the only free weekend I have.

I reckon a september/october cairns M&G is on the cards.

cheers

Drew

cooky
15-04-2005, 04:34 AM
I'm in - I'll start working on the weather.

depending on weather and work I might head down say 16th and stay for weekend.

devocean
15-04-2005, 05:43 AM
Im out. Have second honeymoon to attend in Tasmania I will make sure that Mick has my GPS marks for the wrecks out there and around Hinchinbrook

Mick
15-04-2005, 06:02 AM
I was never out. Count me in!

nonibbles
15-04-2005, 12:14 PM
Another benefit of the 18/19th weekend is that the Cowboys have the bye so no wasted tickets!

Nathanrb4
16-04-2005, 10:51 AM
I know its still 2 months away but can we get abit of a hesitant list going of who thinks they`ll be able to make it, boats that might be coming and those that are boatless and looking for a boat to deckie on?
I`ll be there with my 4.35m seajay. At the moment it`ll just be me fishing from my boat so i should have room for atleast one deckie.

nonibbles
18-04-2005, 05:07 AM
Bump
Had to do it
Those pesky Sou-easters were stealing the limelight ;D

Mick
18-04-2005, 01:53 PM
I'll be checking weather just before I leave home. If its good, probably will take after7's boat (5.4 meter), if its not so good I'll take my boat (4.3 meter). At this stage it will be just us in the boat (2), so we may have room for one more in the small boat and maybe two in the bigger boat. Will confirm at a later date.

Nathanrb4
20-04-2005, 11:01 AM
bump

Mick
20-04-2005, 12:07 PM
double bump

megafish71
20-04-2005, 01:21 PM
I'm with Mick, I'll be checking the weather also, if its good I'll be bringing my Yalta down, can fit a couple on for a reef trip, but if the weather is crap I'll be looking for a seat in a smaller boat to go fish in the creeks. Cooky better do a good job on the weather. ;D ;D

Ron

Nathanrb4
20-04-2005, 01:31 PM
ron if the weathers crappy your welcome to fish out of my boat.

major-defect
20-04-2005, 03:45 PM
i'll say the weekend of the 18th and 19th will be out for me.The sugar mill starts up on the approaching week.

cooky
21-04-2005, 04:34 AM
if its good I'll be bringing my Yalta down, can fit a couple on for a reef trip, but if the weather is crap I'll be looking for a seat in a smaller boat to go fish in the creeks. Cooky better do a good job on the weather.

if i don't do a good job on the weather, I've got a comfortable chair, a nice cold esky, a drink in hand - I'll be fine ;)

you'd be welcome to grab a seat and join me.

megafish71
21-04-2005, 12:31 PM
Sounds like a plan Cooky, but I'd be happier if you could fix the weather. ;D ;D

Ron

Nathanrb4
21-04-2005, 12:48 PM
either way it sounds like a good time to me.

Mick
22-04-2005, 04:30 AM
Bump
Had to do it
Those pesky Sou-easters were stealing the limelight ;D

Yep, i have just about heard enough of the pin, bay, noosa, mooloolaba, caloundra, bribie, shorncliffe, mud and peel island, etc.

cooky
17-05-2005, 10:21 PM
Yep - there is a camping spot (free) across from the boat ramp - about say 300 metres away at high tide straight across - sand spit with trees. Possible to get to by 4X4 too - I tried and gave up - ran out of time - it was our last day.

here's a photo taken at low tide from a beach house the girls were staying at.

cooky
17-05-2005, 10:23 PM
a photo taken from camp site back to boat ramp. might be a bit further than 300 metres. say 500.

cooky
17-05-2005, 10:26 PM
our camp spot taken from boat anchored.

cooky
17-05-2005, 10:29 PM
if it's rough you can always head up the creek. Good to have a few tinnies - i managed to chew a bit of sand further down, but tinnies fine.

nonibbles
17-05-2005, 10:31 PM
here is a copy of the rates at Taylors Beach Holiday Park (click on attachment). #Note down the bottom for those interested 4m punts can be hired with 4hp motor from there too. Its a fair bet to say that's where I'll be as wife likes the creature comforts and less time putting up and pulling down the tent was a fair argument to beat for me ;) (have not booked as yet, still waiting to see what everyone else is up to)

cooky
17-05-2005, 10:33 PM
pray for weather like this. back of Palm island group.

nonibbles
17-05-2005, 10:35 PM
I'm praying :o

cooky
17-05-2005, 10:35 PM
more of the back of Palms. I want to do plenty of this - feet up relaxing trolling action - beer in hand. Arhhh - that's the life. :)

cooky
17-05-2005, 10:38 PM
99% chance wife won't be coming, so I'm planning on camping. If I don't take the wife then my camping gear requirements are cut by 3/4. Esky, tent, comfy chair - me happy.

nonibbles
17-05-2005, 10:58 PM
God, I hope my wife don't see this:-> me too! #:-X
What is it with wives? She loved "real" camping before we got married. Now...If there's no washing facilities, etc, etc... ::)

cooky
17-05-2005, 11:03 PM
My wife seemed to love s*x before we got married too ;D

nonibbles
17-05-2005, 11:08 PM
LOL ;D and mmm... :-X

nonibbles
18-05-2005, 06:31 AM
OK just got off the phone to David at Taylors Beach Holiday Park re: rates for the weekend 18/19 June (also 17th for the early birds). #Will have more details soon when I receive his email but for now...
Cabins $75 dbl per night + child extra $6 with 2 sets of linen (extra sets $6 ea)
Tropical Tents (permanent tent style cabins - bring own/hire linen but has fridge, microwave and wooden floor) $49 dbl per night + child extra $5
Camp sites $21 dbl per night + child extra $4
They require 50% deposit on booking and I am told to hurry as June is quite busy. #They do currently have sites available in all catagories.
Please support him, he links to ausfish from his site thus, in away, he's helping us out too.

contact details are at (I hope the filter doesn't remove this for at least a week): http://www.taylorsbeachcp.com.au/

nonibbles
18-05-2005, 06:36 AM
I guess its obvious, but I'm posting that bar any major catastrophie I'll be there with wife and child. #Still working out accomodation options so as I find out more I'll post. #Wasn't there some info on a public camping ground or something? It probably got lost in the crash so if you have the info please re-post.

Nathanrb4
18-05-2005, 02:03 PM
Yeah i think cooky was saying somehting about the camping site right on the beach. I think i like the idea of being about to park the boat in front of the tent. Whats everyone else planning on doing? i`m going to take an RDO but just not sure if it`ll be the friday or the monday.

nonibbles
19-05-2005, 05:43 PM
Here's some further info from an email sent to me from David Anderson at Taylors Beach Holiday Park:

We have a large BBQ area/patio (2 free gas BBQ’s) beside our pool (24 x 12 m salt water).

The Council has banned the use of bins on the foreshore for dumping fish scraps. We have therefore set up a dedicated fish cleaning sink and chest freezer in which we ask fishermen to put their wrapped fish frames ( for crab bait) and also to wrap and put their fish rubbish separately for me to dispose of on bin day.

There is a good boat wash down facility on the foreshore near the boat ramp (400 m from park).

nonibbles
25-05-2005, 09:48 AM
bump

Nathanrb4
27-05-2005, 12:58 PM
Ok guys its getting close to the M&G so who`s in? What dates are you heading to Taylors Beach? Where you Staying and are you bringing a boat or needing a spot on one?

I`ll be heading up on the friday afternoon after work and should be there till monday. I`m planning on camping up there at the camp sites cooky mentioned. I`ll be taking my 4.35m cc and should have room for one or two deckies depending on if my mate is coming. If theres afew of us camping i`ll bring up a big tarp, genny and fluro so we have somewhere to "catch up" in the evenings.

Cooky i hope your doing your bit with the weather and thats why its blowing so much now!

Nathan

Barrymundi
27-05-2005, 04:26 PM
what dates ?

cooky
27-05-2005, 05:19 PM
I haven't got the clearance from the wife as yet, however it shouldn't be a problem. My biggest issue at the moment is work. I want to go for 4 days, but may only manage 3. Will see how I go. I'm going to camp. Will be taking boat - 5.4m cuddy cabin with 115hp.
I will be taking a comfortable chair and a large esky (or 2). Oh and maybe some fishing gear too.
If the weather is crap we just head down the Hinchinbrook channel or drink and relax

nonibbles
27-05-2005, 05:27 PM
ALNFI- weekend of 18/19 June
I'm going up on the Friday (17) arvo. #Will be staying in luxury in the cabins at the holiday park with missus + kid. #Going back Sunday hopefully arvo but that will depend upon how other familiy members feel on day. #
Will be happy to join in all activities at the campsite too so obviously a late night (or two) paddling across the creek would be an order (may have to set up a ferry system for others in same situation.
Paul

Nathanrb4
27-05-2005, 05:49 PM
paul i`m sure we`ll be able to find you a lift over early in the night it`ll be getting home that`ll be the problem!

Mick
28-05-2005, 03:11 AM
I am in guys. Will be coming up with Dave (after7) on the Friday night or with the sparrows Saturday morning. We are waiting to see what the weathers doing before selecting a suitable boat for the trip. If the weathers looking alright we will be bringing Daves 5.4 meter CC and if the weather is crap we will bring my 4.3 meter cc. We probably could fit 1 into the 4.3 meter and maybe 2 in the 5.4 meter if anyone is keen.
At this stage we are looking at continuing to Cairns for a reef trip after the M and G, but this will depend on a couple of things, work, time, funds, bookings, etc.
Anyone is welcome to board with me in my boat and I am sure Dave won't mind filling spots on his boat. If the weather is good, we will no doubt be giving the reef a good hit. We will also be spearing as well as fishing. Idealy, if the weather is good, we could convoy out to the reef, if everyones keen.

Mick

Looking forward to it!

Mick
28-05-2005, 03:21 AM
So, at this stage it looks like it will be -

Nonibbles
Nathan
Cooky
Mick
After7
Megafish
Bosunsmate

Al NFI, Leo N and Dicko have showed interest,
and Devocean and Max Power can't make it on this week end.

If its going to be a small bunch of us, we could plan boats a bit better, meaning, we all might not have to bring boats. We dont want 6 or 7 people with 6 or 7 boats. Thats not much of a M and G.

we'll see what happens and who's keen.....

Mad_Barry
28-05-2005, 06:06 AM
I'd put the odds at about 80% on being there #;D

Gettin a bit bit busy with work & stuff at the moment #:-X

More than likely no kids with me, so will just throw a swag down beside my esky somewhere 8)

megafish71
28-05-2005, 11:02 AM
Looking doughtful for me at this stage, might be busy doing the earthworks on our block of land. Aparently I will have to drive the roller for the guys, thats the price you pay for wanting to live on acerage on a hill.

Ron

cooky
28-05-2005, 01:42 PM
I'll most likely bring some mates with me - 1 or 2 or 3 or 4.

What about Mullet-head or whatever ya name is. I meant Stunned Mullet - what you doing buddy. YOu've got ya new tinny - come on ya slack arse.

fishclaus
28-05-2005, 03:48 PM
Would like to get up there even if only for 1 day, just depends on the dreaded WORK situation.

cooky
29-05-2005, 05:02 PM
i'm wondering if this thread shoudl be moved to GOING FISHING or camping or another thread not as popular as GENERAL.. At least it will be easier to track than currently - keeps dropping off main page.

major-defect
30-05-2005, 01:02 AM
Dam! Got my work roster for the rest of the year and i'm midnight on shift.That counts me out. :'(

nonibbles
30-05-2005, 10:30 AM
i'm wondering if this thread shoudl be moved to GOING FISHING or camping or another thread not as popular as GENERAL.. #At least it will be easier to track than currently - keeps dropping off main page.

Maybe we could just ask if Steve would create a M&G discussion board. The other thing we could do is just keep looking for it and posting. That's all they did for the 1770 one.
In the final fortnight we could simply ask the moderators to make it a "sticky" thread otherwise it will only stay on the front page while the interest is there. ;)

Mick
01-06-2005, 02:51 AM
bump!

nonibbles
01-06-2005, 04:59 AM
bugger, beat me to it mick. ;D

devocean
01-06-2005, 01:24 PM
Wish this thread would bugger off because it annoys me I cant go. Give em hell guys

Nathanrb4
01-06-2005, 02:52 PM
I`ve taken Cooky`s advice and posted another thread with the same name in the "Going Fishing" section of ausfish.