PDA

View Full Version : Lucinda Hinchenbrook area

ratsack
26-05-2005, 11:55 AM
I am considering a couple of weeks in this area and would like whatever advice I can get on fishing spots and accomodation. I like chasing reefies and have seen several fishing shows that have featured this area. My boat is a Clark Albatross 16Ft centre console so 30 to 40 klm out is my limit. Reef names and GPS locations would be appreciated

Leo_N.
26-05-2005, 01:18 PM
You really should get a chart of the area if you are going to go to the reef, so you know where you are and can safely navigate.

I fish Bramble and Trunk reefs a bit with good results (From my 4.3m tinny). Bramble is about 23nm from the coast, and Trunk about 25 from memory. Be careful navigating around the reef face, as both of these reefs dry.

I don't actually keep GPS marks of many fishing spots within each reef, as there are so many and fishing the same spots over and over make them not so good spots. My tendancy is to fish in the deeper areas of these reefs, in 15-25m, as commercial dorymen rarely fish these depths. I did fish exclusively shallower than 15m on my last trip though, and caught a lot of trout. The mackeral are really in abundance around Bramble and Trunk at the moment, especially shark mackeral, so don't be afraid to drift a pillie out the back (or better still a live fusilier).

And make sure you know the zoning - Trunk is a yellow zone, so one line per person and one hook per line (unless trolling).

whiteman
27-05-2005, 09:06 AM
Call Wanderers Caravan Park which is near the pub and about 1km from the ramp. They have all sorts of accommodation types for an OK price. If you want a holiday house, do a web search. Wanderers can give you a good idea where to fish. As already suggested, get a chart of the island. There are plenty of spots in all conditions but like all spots, local knowledge is the key. There have been a squillion articles on the area posted on Ausfish so don't be lazy!

devocean
27-05-2005, 12:15 PM
I would stay at the Lucinda Pub. Pretty good acc pool close to the ramp, good cheap meal. Or you might want to renta house as there should be plenty around as it is the strat of the cane season. Call Felix Reitano real estate in Ingham for more information

luigi
27-05-2005, 05:09 PM
G'day Ratsack,

I suggest that you contact the Hinchinbrook Visitor Information Centre who will give you the "gen" on the area.
Phone (07) 4776 5211 or Email: ceo@hinchinbrook.qld.gov.au

If you're interested in a holiday house, I can recommend one owned by Lucinda local, Bob Danes (phone (07) 4777 8153). It's close to the boat ramp, pub, Shop & Post Office.

Hope you have time to call at my Lucinda workshop when you get here & I'll try to impart a bit of local knowledge etc.

ratsack
02-06-2005, 08:34 AM
Thanks people for all the good info, I think a house or unit close to the pub is the go, just gotta work out when. Will also serch the chat boards for the squillion articles. Once again thanks a lot