PDA

View Full Version : Mud Island

madman1
02-06-2005, 07:44 AM
I ran into an ol timer down at the boat ramp at Shorncliffe and he was telling me of some holes around Mud Island that were up to 160 feet deep. This is apparently where the dredge went nuts a long time ago.

Is this true? If so there should be some considerable action around there shouldn't there?

Anyone heard of this?

Cheers

Mark

snapattack
02-06-2005, 08:26 AM
160ft??? Thats 50+ metres!
I think not. I think the old fella was having a lend of you.

madman1
02-06-2005, 08:36 AM
He reckons they are close in on the Eastern side.

I am going over on Saturday to satisfy my curiosity. Take the kids and drag a couple of lures over the bombies.

I'll let you know how I go!

He may have also meant 60 feet not 160 feet.

Cheers

Mark

SeaHunt
02-06-2005, 09:23 AM
Hi Mark,
Nothing showing on the chart, not that that means much.
Maybe 60 ft, I dont think they can dredge down 160 and even if there were a couple of holes there all those years ago they would have largley silted up.
I have sounded around over there a fair bit , hard to find anything deeper that about 35 ft. , Webby seems to live over there, he would know, not sure he would tell you though. ;D
If you find anything over 40 let me know , would be a very interesting daytime snaper spot.

webby
02-06-2005, 01:44 PM
There's one sorta north leaning towards the west a bit, north of the Grazier, but it aint no 100ft deep ;D
regards

CHRIS_aka_GWH
02-06-2005, 01:59 PM
depends on how far you tilt the sounder probe

or

how often you tilt the yellow labelled bottle.

conversely, if he's timed depth by running line out till he's hit bottom & the currents been raging - his "instrumentation" may have been deceived. I've met an old guy who can match a sounder to within a few metres doing that.

straddie
02-06-2005, 02:00 PM
I think from memory the "Coral" had a fixed maximum cutter depth of around 6 metres or there abouts. If there are any holes over there at 160ft I have never found them with a lot of looking and they certainly wouldn't have been made by the dredge.

Could be those dangfangled new metres measuring numbers confuzzling him. ;D

CHRIS_aka_GWH
02-06-2005, 02:03 PM
my sounder read 180m hovering a foot above a weed bed last saturday night inside straddie

straddie
02-06-2005, 03:17 PM
Hahaha ;D had a sounder like that years back, used to read some wild depth when I turned it on with the boat sitting in the shed. Maybe I had the transducer sitting over one of those holes I used to dig as a kid trying to get to China ;D