PDA

View Full Version : Flares

Wello_Pete
02-06-2005, 05:44 PM
Is there any place that used flares can be activated? I ask because we all have flares that become obsolete because (thankfully) we haven't had to use them...but how do you know that you can use them unless you practice. The only time they get used them is in an emergency, and that is not the time to read the instructions

Cheers

mackmauler
02-06-2005, 05:47 PM
new yrs has proven very popular but I wouldnt know :-X

Fishinmishin
02-06-2005, 06:00 PM
Use the smoke one at night and the light one at day. Then before finished, throw them over the fence for the neighbours yelping dog to fetch ;).
Cheers, Jay

Kiktz
02-06-2005, 06:03 PM
Keep them as spares if they are in good condition.

subzero
02-06-2005, 06:06 PM
Gidday Wello, definately not the parachute flares... get caught letting one of those go and you are pretty much guaranteed a trip to the courts....
Occassionaly, your local Rescue group may hold an open day/safety day.... they may allow you to let one off under supervision depending on how brave they are with their insurance policys ;D... when a unit does let of flares they have to apply and put in place fire and first aid safety systems and a Notice to Mariners is issued advising Mariners where AND WHEN SPECIFICLY, the flares will be set off....
I fully understand and agree with what you are saying, not that I am suggesting anything, if I had a friend who lived on a farm for instance I might just be tempted to let off the hand held ones... no scrub, no dry grass, no strong winds, adequate supply of water, a bucket or drum filled with water and a first aid kit with burn cream.... I let of one once that was 18 years old according to the expiry and as it burnt down, the bottom fell out of it, this stuff burns very hot and intense and you will get a good burn instantly if this happens to you.. it will also spit the odd chunk out sometimes so be very carefull with it.. keep other people WELL CLEAR of you, stand upwind from the caustic smoke, hold at arms length, if it doesnt light up after a few attempts or it appears to have gone out, do not throw it or look down it... give up on it, place it in a bucket full of water... only 1 person letting off 1 flare at a time.... if ever letting a parachute flare off in earnest, DO NOT, fire it at an approaching hellicopter at night, distances can be very hard to judge and it is a fact that some rescue pilots have been lost through flares taking out the pilots night vision for a brief period... NOT ALL RESCUE CHOPPERS ARE FITTED WITH AUTO HOVER... it only takes a few seconds of disorientation and the pilots are unable to recover from the consequences.. hope the info helped
Cheers Lloyd

subzero
02-06-2005, 06:18 PM
If I remember the next time I see a NTM referring to flare demo's I will post the details for the members...
Here is one up north that is of no use to you Wello but someone else may be from that neck of the woods... it's a bit of an odd one as it appears to be on water... I dont have charts for up there so I cant be sure... they are normally held on land
Cheers Lloyd

289 (T) of 2005
CAIRNS PILOTAGE AREA

TRINITY BAY, FALSE CAPE - FLARE DEMONSTRATION

Mariners are advised that a flare demonstration will be conducted between 1000 hours and 1100 hours on Tuesday 7th June, approximately 2 nautical miles North West of False Cape. Approval has been given for red hand held and orange smoke flares only.

Mariners are advised to keep clear.

CHARTS AFFECTED:AUS 262, 830
Queensland Department of Transport
Cairns - Trinity Bay

Last Updated 26 May 2005
© State of Queensland (Queensland Transport)
1998 (original version), 2001 (this version) | Home | FAQs | News | Site Feedback | Search | Copyright | Disclaimer |

basserman
02-06-2005, 06:37 PM
yeh i have the old set as well as a indate set in my grab bag but how ever i belive in leting one rip like Lloyd expliained
i was lucky enoght that i have set off tons of flares off in the army of all kind (as well as heaps of other fun things ;))
but yeh always a good ider to learn how to use them so in that time of panic you have no douts in your mind ;)

WHITTO
03-06-2005, 06:00 AM
;) ;)G'Day Mate, Keep the old one's handy and if you have to use a Flare use one of the old one's first,if it works then you have saved yourself a quid by not having to replace your current flares, just a thought, Cheers Whitto ;D ;D

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
03-06-2005, 06:44 AM
You could try the hand held smoke flare up the creek one night or out on a dark road. As soon as she fires douse it in the creek or in a drum of water. At least you will have had the practice you need without raising an alarm. :-X

Dave

Derek Bullock
03-06-2005, 07:35 AM
If you go to http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/msq.nsf/index/flare_disposal it tells you where you can take your flares for disposal in Queensland.

Cheers

Derek

Wello_Pete
03-06-2005, 02:59 PM
Thanks guys. I'm more interested in the practice side of things, not the disposal. I never throw out anything that is useful, and irrespective of whether they are out of date, I'll keep them, along with the replacement ones

Cheers