PDA

View Full Version : Best time of year to head North?

DaneCross
02-06-2005, 05:44 AM
Gday,
We're throwing the idea around of doing a fishing trip 'up north' with boat in tow. (By north I'm talking 1770 upwards, possibly as far as Hinchinbrook). I'm just after general opinions on what time of year is the best both weather and fish-wise?
Thanks in advance.
Dane

mackmauler
02-06-2005, 07:52 AM
Dane, I like july/august, mainly for the warmer winter weather, makes a nice change ;D watch out for next months installment ;)

devocean
02-06-2005, 12:46 PM
Depends what you are chasing. Warmer months are better for barra and jacks especially straight after the cool weather for jacks around october november. But the cooler months are better for spanish and mackeral fishing. Also belive the trout are easier to get in the winter months as well. Weather conditions shouldnt hinder you to much as trhe main highway is good all the way to Hinchinbrook though it does poor rain in the wet. I prefer the warmer months for creek fishing and the colder months for the deep blue.

Bad_Bubby
02-06-2005, 04:21 PM
I have found Sept-october to be the most reliable months in the places I've fished. The macks often hang around until Sept and the barra usually start up around that time. It has alot to do with what spots you fish aswell. In some places the rule book goes out the window.

Volvo
03-06-2005, 05:35 AM
If its the weather ye mainly interested in, May through to Sept/October..Absolutely great weather to be out n about on the water..
Fishwise?/, yep!! depending what your chasing too...Gladstonewise most species seem to stop munching with a Westerly...Further north i cannot tell you if this phenomina still happens??..
Cheers

DaneCross
03-06-2005, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the repies fellas. Winter/early spring months seem to be the go. Fish-wise I was looking for some variety, mostly reefy type stuff but a few barra, jacks and fingermark would be great to have a go at as well.
The trips a long way off yet, just an idea at this stage, I'll have to put some planning in to get the most out of it.
Cheers
Dane

Sportfish_5
03-06-2005, 08:27 AM
Dane - Just remember if you go in winter/early spring you will be headin up there in peak tourist season (ie Grey Nomads). Dont do what I did last year and just go without booking accomodation etc as you could get caught sleeping in the car in a park ::) Admiral was not too happy ;D

Cheers

Greg

JB
03-06-2005, 09:17 AM
Or worse on the ground beside the car ;D

skippa
03-06-2005, 10:32 AM
not to worry JB, at least you got good reading material #;D

Cheers,
Tony # 8)
PS What's the brick for? In case someone breaks in?
or maybe a bedside table?

mackmauler
03-06-2005, 10:33 AM
I bet thats just a cover for whats really inside ;D

JB
04-06-2005, 11:02 AM
hahah you got me rob #::) , i had miss july 2003 penthouse pet to keep me warm #:P