PDA

View Full Version : Cape York Trip [School Holidays)

bruce4x4
17-05-2005, 09:55 PM
G'Day Guy's, Yes a mate and i are planning to go all the way to the cape in the school holidays can anyone help.

1 Can u take a (box) trailer all the way with care and if not is there any were u can leave it safely

2 Can u advise of good places to stay (swags & tents)

3 We plan to leave Toowoomba and head straight there maybe 3 days and once there have a good look around on the way back.

4 Not taking boat :( but are taking rods ;D ;D.

5 The trailer is not a mum and dad grass to dump trailer it is the next one up which is heavy duty but not the heavy heavy duty (brand new).

6 Any info and tips would be great

7 Have landcruiser 80 series 1990.

Thanks Bruce

Cyclone
19-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Bruce the trailer could pose a problem the road can kill them at times. If it has a reasonable axel and springs it may be ok but I would take at least a spare spring and bearing set. Also if it only has a cast hitch they have been known to fail due to the corrugations and it pays to have shocks fitted . I have towed boats up to 4.5mtr on trailers with standard 14" wheels but if you can fit enough gear in the wagon leave the trailer behind it will make the trip more enjoyable and won't limit where you can go. There are plenty of storage places in Cairns. As for where to fish land based start on the wharf at Cooktown then head into Lakefield National Park and walk the waterholes for Barra be carfull of crocs! then there is Wiepa plenty of land based options there Mission bridge Red point etc. Then head for cullen point at Mapoon and Jannie creek from here head up to Varilya point on the west coast just below the Jardine then the bamaga wharf and anywhere inbetween these spots. Most of the spots mentioned apart from Cooktown Wiepa and Bamaga have no facilities so you must be self sufficient. If all else fails call in and see me on the way up and see me and I'll draw a few lines on your map for you. One other thing if you don't mind a beer make yourselves familiar with the grog bans on cape york as they are pretty strick on them and it could spoil your holiday.
good luck Andrew.

_Matt_
20-05-2005, 09:42 AM
I agree with cyclone there, road can be a bit tough on the trailer (depending on where in Cape York you go). I personally would opt not to take a trailer, rather I would invest in a roof mounted cage/ roof rack. If you gave a better indication on where you wanted to go, you would probably people could give you more detailed advise, including road conditions, tracks etc. Another thing I might mention is it is always better to travel with another vehicle (again if going off the beaten track) and/or take yourself some good recovery equipment e.g electric or hand winch, wallaby jack, shovel. And it is always handy to hire/buy a satelite phone, better to be safe than sorry. You'll just have to make sure you take all necessary safety precautions, especially if it is your first trip to the Cape.
Cheers
Matt

Ps- I like the way you put "school holidays" in 2 different brackets in you subject line. [cool)

bruce4x4
21-05-2005, 03:27 AM
Cyclone, Have decided to leave trailer at home thanks.
Will print out your reply and try some of the places for fishing if we can.
Dam that grog ban, may have to drink a few on the side of the road ;D ;D ;D

Matt, Will be travelling with my mate he has a troopy oyea wifes and kids all round
Plan on doing the otr if we can either going up or comming back
As for were we are going no idea just the the usual to the point a few golf balls into
the sea ;D mandatory photos and grog? if allowed :P
As to were we go is any guess just go to the point first and look around comming back
Thanks Bruce

bruce4x4
21-05-2005, 03:33 AM
Are there any really nice caravan parks from cairns up maybe on the water with some good fishing ;D oh-yeah that allow grog ;D

Cyclone
21-05-2005, 05:49 AM
Yeah Bruce in Wiepa On the beach great sunsets no grog ban in Wiepa township ;D ;D ;D. has all facilities and you can also hire a tinny there. Punsand Bay towards the Tip from Bamaga also a good beach park.
Happy holidaying Andrew.

bruce4x4
21-05-2005, 11:55 AM
Thanks Andrew, Will probably try both those places

Bruce.

bruce4x4
21-05-2005, 12:02 PM
What can we expect as far as the road conditions go between otr and development
road and what is the road into wiepa like and how far from the road to the top
Thanks Bruce

Cyclone
22-05-2005, 05:22 AM
Bruce the development road gets very corrugated because it carries the majority of the traffic trucks etc. In comparison the otr has a lot more creek crossings and is a much more interesting drive it can be a bit of a challenge at times but nothing a snatch strap won't fix.
As for the road into Wiepa it's like a highway maintained by Comalco most of the way, Bamaga is probably a comfortable 6hr drive from Wiepa and you can take a northern bypass through Bertihaugh ? station that bring you out on the Cape York Development road further north of the main Wiepa turn saves a few ks.
cheers Andrew

bruce4x4
22-05-2005, 12:55 PM
Thanks Andrew, I think the otr maybe the way to go i mean if you are going to go all the way you may as well do the otr. I thing we may do daintree into cooktown as well. ;D ;D ;D

I have heard that once you get to the top there is a barge that will take you back to wiepa or some were if so has anyone tried it and how much would it be.

Thanks Bruce

logan_whiting
23-05-2005, 06:50 AM
when i went up there when i was a kid our axel snaped in half :o :o :o :o

bruce4x4
23-05-2005, 02:45 PM
Jesus I hope nothing like that happens :o :(

bruce4x4
26-05-2005, 01:14 AM
bump

Cyclone
26-05-2005, 03:45 AM
Bruce I'll have another go yes there is a barge company seaswift you can put your vehicles on and travel back to either Cairns Karumba or I presume you could also get off at Wiepa. I only know of people returning to Cairns east coast and they recomended it as the scenery down that part of the coast is pretty good,west coast of the cape is not that scenic. As for cost and timetables contact Seaswift shipping in Cairns.
Andrew.

bruce4x4
26-05-2005, 01:44 PM
G'Day Andrew, Looked up the web site thanks and i think we will be travelling by road
$655 per person one way :P ;D

Getting closer ;D ;D

bruce4x4
04-06-2005, 02:08 PM
14 Days to go ;D ;D can't wait.
Would it be wise to take two spare shockys, ome at 140 each ?