PDA

View Full Version : VMR / Coast Guard Membership

whichway
07-03-2005, 02:53 PM
Hi

Can someone tell me, do all VMR / Coast Guards charge for tows. Can you join up as an associate member and avoid the charges and how much does this cost. If you join one branch does that cover you for tows from other branches. If you join a VMR are you covered for a Coast Guard tow and vice versa.

Having said that, I think that the VMR / Coast Guard folks do an excellent job with an unreasonably low level of government support. Just want to clarify the situation before joining

Regards

Whichway

bay_firey
07-03-2005, 03:39 PM
Whichway
Can't speak for other units but Hervey Bay VMR charge $33.00 yearly associate membership, they then charge members half the normal cost of a tow. They implemented last year an extra fee, $22.00, that covers you for a free tow within certain boundaries, can't remember the exact boundaries.
Damn cheap when you think about the cost to the VMR/ Coast gaurd unit to actually come and get you.
Whether you get free tows or not Iwould not hesitate in joining up and giving a bit back.

bay_firey
07-03-2005, 05:08 PM
Whichway
Just found the forms for Coast Gaurd Yeppoon, thier supporters Club is I think about $30.00 per year and provides for 1 free assistance per year with in 25 nm of Rosslyn Bay Harbour.

As I said can't speak for other areas but thats what is offered by the 2 I have had anything to do with.

Heath
08-03-2005, 07:51 AM
VMR recently down here had a membership drive, where they had pay for 1 year & get the second free. reciprical membership for Pt Danger, Currumbin & Southport. Tows are free.

drevil
08-03-2005, 10:59 AM
I am an associate member at Redcliffe Coastguard and it costs $55 a year. Tows are free, but I know that Bribie charges for tows. Not really sure if they would charge me or not, but I suspect not.

vp3
08-03-2005, 02:31 PM
Wichway, I am an active member with VMR Victoria Point. We charge $50.00 to join as an associate member which gets you 1 free tow per year. This is quite cheap as we charge a max of $100.00 per hour for our larger boat to do the job. You are right about the government funding for VMR and Coastguard it is almost non existant.
Safe Boating, Ian

subzero
08-03-2005, 03:10 PM
This is a really messy subject... very hard to speak for other units throughout Qld when everything is so disjointed :(
1/ There is no State wide agreement between VMR and Coastguard units, on a LOCAL level where the 2 different groups are based nearby they may have an informal agreement arranged between them.
2/ VMR itself has no formal agreement State wide as no one could figure out a fair way to disperse funds fairly... some units are fairly affluent and have good support from large organisations such as VMR Southport with the SAR Club, others have very small membership and struggle to man their vessels let alone actively promote waterside assistance, therefore deemed by some other units as not pulling their weight.. then different units have large boats when a small boat could do the job, how much do they get re-imbursed if on a cost basis... sadly it is every man for himself when chasing hard earned dollars...
3/ On a TRIAL basis, all VMR units in Morton Bay ONLY are trialling waterside assist and offering reciprical rights..... I do not know for sure if this includes Jacobs Well, and Bribie
4/ As a Skipper if I was to get a SHORT TOW from a member from VMR Thursday Island who has hired a boat and gone out and broken down, I could POSSIBLY enter it in the log as a PR job as long as it wasnt going to cost the unit much to do it, i.e already in the area and he was going to a near berth, I would have to expolain in the activity report the reasons for not charging, this has been done before for one reason or another.
5/ Read the fine print... It shouldnt be that fine... NORMALLY you are only entitled to ONE FREE TOW A YEAR, I would be surprised if others are offering more than 1
6/ Our vessels are not as large as some other Rescue units... the prices are not standard when towed, the unit sets their own price per hour or part there off... Some units charge $300-00 an hour
6/ Yes, all units charge, ONLY to recover costs, how they base their charge out rates and what they base it on is up to them.
7/ Can they legally enforce payment... good question... I am not answering... Vollunteers.... Commercial.... but then people would have to be pretty damned misserable to argue the point.... do many not pay up..... yep, sure do, arseholes
8/ Is waterside assistance worth it? My bloody oath, before much longer their may be NO VMR or Coastguard.... members are getting sick and tired of fundraising to pay for those that dont cough up when asked :-X
Hope this clarifys the situation a little, it is about the best answer you will get from anyone... Consult your local VMR Coastguard and find out what your LOCAL arrangements are.... they are the ONLY ones who will truly know what you are being offered
Whichway and Bay_Firey, thank you for your kind comments about Rescue Groups, much appreciated

bay_firey
08-03-2005, 03:19 PM
Loyd
I have a bit of a vested interest as I signed on yesterday to become an active meber of Yeppoon Volunteer Coast Gaurd, QF11.
I have my initial building and vessel induction on Saturday afternoon

subzero
08-03-2005, 03:33 PM
Good on you Mark, it is always good to hear when someone signs on to put a bit back or just maybe even to learn a little extra, some units are really struggling for members.

One day, when a few more of us blokes start communicating and working together, both our heirarchys may be influenced into sorting out their differences and looking after the boating public.
Beuracracy between both groups is the ONLY real reason their is not a Queensland wide waterside assist membership honoured by both groups, RACQ offered to administer it for free if it were put in place State wide but the top honcho's couldnt get their heads around getting rid of their ego's, and sorting out some minor sticking points.... hence the boating public suffers....

At unit level, you will meet some great people, have some fantastic times, and occassionaly get to see the relieved look of little kids, their Mothers and even their Fathers... thats what really makes it all worth while, when you know that you really have made a difference, all be it a very fleeting one....
My best wishes to you and the other members of QF11
Enjoy, and safe boating

dfox
08-03-2005, 03:37 PM
Im a member of the redcliffe coast guard, and in the past i had a faulty 2stroke that decided it would blow stators every 50hours or so, once at deep tempest! So i required there assistance on several times.Although they tow you home for free, i believe its only right that in these circumstances you make a donation on top of your yearly membership...foxy

subzero
08-03-2005, 03:45 PM
On ya foxy, it would be interesting to know for sure what the other units throughout Qld offer, both VMR and Coastguard, first step in standardisation

adriancorrea
08-03-2005, 05:20 PM
Well worth every cent of it too
The owner of the boat that capsized last week just got his bill from VMR bribie and it comes to $330 for 3 and 3/4 hours to tow it in upside down, now I dont know how much it cost them for that time but helped us out.
I think $50-$70 is a small price to pay for a free tow if needed and we must also remember that these guys and gals arent getting paid for this.(not saying an upside down tow either)
LLoyd if I wasnt selling my boat Id become a member, but Ill be down soon to give a small donation.

Tight Lines
Adrian

Kiktz
09-03-2005, 06:14 AM
Great Topic Guys,

I have sitting at home my forms to become an Coast guard active volunteer.
I am wanting to join to give something back and also to learn a bit more than what I do now. I am really undecided wether I should go ahead and join the coast guard or the VMR. Do both of these fairly much serve the same purpose for us boaties?
You opions would be greatly appreciated..........

FYI,
I noticed on the week end a boat on the broadwater " SEATOW " www.seatowgoldcoast.com.au. From what I can see these guys offer a tow service that will shortly cover most areas. Thought this may be of interest as some of the comments have been about getting a tow.

Cheers Kiktz

Kerry
09-03-2005, 06:59 AM
....I think about $30.00 per year and provides for 1 free assistance per year with in 25 nm of Rosslyn Bay Harbour.....

??? So what happens if your past 25 nm

I'd be interested to know if and when you find out.

Cheers, Kerry.

whichway
09-03-2005, 03:16 PM
Thanks for all the responses.

I'll make a few phone calls and join this weekend.

I had an incident with my trailer at the ramp at Scaborough a little while ago, and the local Coast Guard next the the ramp could not have been more helpful even running me around Redcliffe in their private vehicles a number of times chasing up parts.

Without knowing the ins and outs, surely it would make sense for the Coast Guard and VMR to bury the hatchet and combine. This should lead to a more efficient and effective service.

Secondly, I don't know whether the members would agree, but it would seem to an outsider that these organisations could benefit from being run along the lines of the SES or Bush Fire Brigades where there is a strong volunteer base with Government funding and administration.

Finally, if private operators are going to get into the business of providing tows, then surely this is going to dilute the funds available to the volunteer organisations. This would not seem to benefit those who may need these services ie us.

Just my thoughts - I urge all boatees to support their local VMR / Coast Guard.

Regards

Whichway

PS A couple of years ago, I saw the Jacobs Well crew crossing the Pin Bar on a fairly average day. Looked pretty challenging!

bay_firey
09-03-2005, 03:26 PM
Kerry
Outside 25nm you have to pay full fare
And before you ask, no I do not know how much that is yet, but I am sure I will find out soon

Kerry
09-03-2005, 03:55 PM
Mark,

One reason why I ask is that there are known occurances of basically total refusal to go past 25NM, regardless, well not regardless only if Canberra became involved and that basically meant activating and Epirb in an instance that was outside the legal requirements of Epirb activation.

Cheers, Kerry.

boatboy50
09-03-2005, 04:56 PM
Hi Guys,

The costs above are pretty standard. The per hour cost depends on the boat used at each squadron.

Im an active member of VMR Southport, and STRONGLY recommend you join us Kiktz! Take a look at the makeup of the members you see at each squadron (ages, abilities and experience) and also their training system. Just looking closely at the two squadrons will make you decide which way to go.

The VMR/Coastguard thing is ongoing, and hopefully one day will be resolved, id like to, but not sure if ill see that day!

Both organisations basically do the same thing, but have different internal training systems, heirachy and procedures.

All VMR units have very strong ties with the SES already, and VMR members are officially SES members.

Whichway, I also agree with the private businesses getting into it. They refuse (rightly and thank god) to do any emergency services, and only want to take the average joe blow tows. PLEASE remember this is where VMR units get most of their funding from, members and assists. Support your VMR unit.

Kerry, ive never ever heard of any group refusing to go more than 25nm out and asking for an epirb to be set off, that is ludicrous. Maybe their vessels or crews werent up to the task?

Regards
Darren

boatboy50
09-03-2005, 04:56 PM
Sorry,

Double post!

Kerry
09-03-2005, 06:43 PM
....ive never ever heard of any group refusing to go more than 25nm out and asking for an epirb to be set off, that is ludicrous. Maybe their vessels or crews werent up to the task?

Nobody was specifically ASKING for an Epirb alert (there was possibly some indication thou) but it almost come down to that scenario.

Ludicrous?, Yes
The vessel not up to the task? Certainly Not the case.
The crew/s not up to the task? Should not have been the case either.

And considering this was in a period where manning was 24/7 it did leave a few dumb founded as to the "real" reasons why? There certainly appears to be a hierachy overkill in some organsiations structures.

Maybe there's some explanations, maybe insurance issues, maybe other issues? But when an organisation advertises the fact they are supposed fully manned 24 hours a day then basically refuse to go past 25nm, there's really some questions that should be asked of someone.

Cheers, Kerry.

subzero
09-03-2005, 06:57 PM
Well said Boatboy50, some vessels at some of the units are not capable of being safely opperated that far off shore though, and their comercial survey rating may restrict this anyhow. In the event of this happening Kerry, no one would be left in the lurch waiting for an epirb to be activated and the assistance of another unit better equipped may be called upon to assist. This is not uncommon, nor should it be frowned upon by the units requesting assistance where required because of pride.... when our vessels were purchased, in consultation with VKR Water Police and the VMRAQ parent body, it was recomended when it came time to replace our secondary Rescue Vessel, Honda1 that it be with a 5.8m Gemini for fast response and shallow water rescue work as it could be seen at the time that a vessel along these lines was very lacking at the time... It proved invaluable when the Charter Boat "Dreamtime" ran aground on the bottom of Morton... The vessel was breaking up as the waves were pounding it and at the time the ONLY vessel capable of removing the 22 passengers on board was the new Gemini because of it's shallow draught, inflatable sides, power and very good handling characteristics... She made 5 or 6 trips to the flottila of larger vessels waiting in safe water evacuating all the passengers with no injurys in very nasty conditions.... every boat has it's limitations and advantages.... Generally Kerry, in places where their is unlikely to be better equipped vessels, then those units will purchase vessels purchased with the opperating requirements in mind and to hell with the expense.... i.e North Stradbroke1 (NS1), full medical fascillitys on board including heart monotors/starters etc for advanced care paramedics taking people of North Stradbroke to the mainland...
Normal proceedure does USUALLY require activation via Water Police for the more distant stuff and this usually means to the benefit of the Rescue Unit that fuel and oil can be claimed back from the Police. (At their estimates and rates).
Good luck to all you people putting your hand up to join and as Boatboy50 was saying, I dont think you can go to far wrong joining VMR Southport, very busy and highly regarded unit...
All the best to you all
Cheers Lloyd

Kerry
10-03-2005, 04:26 AM
Lloyd, That's the thing that some areas of the coast don't have the luxury of neighbours with differently equipment vessels.

In this particular incidence the vessel is more than capable for the job but as you say there is this increasing influence coming to bear from the police and in many cases they have vessels sitting idle, far more capable and yet first response is pushed towards volunteer groups.

There does appear this rather blurred area between politics and authority, if you know what I mean.

But lets not go into water police boats #;)

Cheers, Kerry.
#

damons33
10-03-2005, 04:44 AM
is that bacon i smell? lol
:D
#i too am an associate member of the vmr(mooloolabah-cmdr don, you dont mess with the don! he's retired navy, he'll hit you with a monkeys fist!lol).
vmr is the best organisation we can fund or give time.
damon

DR
10-03-2005, 05:01 AM
i joined Viccy Pt.as an associate member when i did my radio course.. beside the assistance, if required, you receive a little kit with a whole stack of helpful info.incl. stickers & laminated stuff to keep handy in the boat with all important radio channels, phone nos of all vmr & coast guards, even reminders on radio procedure for those that don't use it very often.

but one of the best things is an ID number. so when you log on at the boat ramp you use the number & not you boat name, description etc. apparently thieves have been scanning radio calls & knowing someone is going on the bay for the day gives them a long time to pinch your trailer, car etc.
they keep all required info on the comp.

Kiktz
10-03-2005, 06:27 AM
Thanks Boatboy I will check it out, you guys are near the southport yaught clup aren't you?

It is really good to hear that there is a few guys out there that give something back to what we all enjoy.

Cheers

DaneCross
10-03-2005, 07:59 AM
Interesting topic. The only thing stopping me from becoming a member is the fact that they aren't reciprocal. I fish anywhere between Noosa and the Tweed depending on season, whats biting where etc. Theres not really any particular area that I fish more often than the others, so what is the point of joining say, Manly, when the next week I'll be fishing out of the Tweed??? Surely many more people would be willing to join a State-wide (or even Nation-wide) reciprocal service, it just seems to make sense?? I mean, you don't join Springwood RACQ then break down in Mt Gravatt and have to pay for the Mt Gravatt fella to come and get you. Its got me stuffed ::)
Dane

caveman
10-03-2005, 09:27 AM
DC i was told by jacobs well VMR that if i paid $65 i think instaed of $50
that i was covered any where in coastal waters in QLD

Kerry
10-03-2005, 09:50 AM
But VMR (or Coastguard) don;t have full coverage cover of all Qld coastal waters. There's some awfull big gaps in Qld coastal waters and especially so if one starts this 25nm limit stuff.

;D perhaps like many other things, once one gets north of the so called "great southeast" Qld for some appears not to exist ;)

Cheers, Kerry.

subzero
10-03-2005, 11:47 AM
Some good points raised in here by everyone, it's covered quite a wide area from the initial post...
Kerry, sure do understand the politics.... wish I could understand women just as well ;D
Thanks DR for the good rap for Vicky Point :) ;D
Caveman, yep I have heard the same thing, it would be very interesting to know for sure if that is correct.....
DC, couldnt agree more, the boating public is being disadvantaged by the 2 groups not getting together and tidying up both our acts.... Their was a panel set up between VMR, Coastguard and I believe a couple of other people from the emergency Services to thrash out this nonsense.... Unfortunately an accord could not be reached and so the nonsense continues.... I was not at the meeting as I am somewhere near the bottom of the dung heap, but was given a slant on it by someone in the know that the other Mob wanted to stick to their own program which they considered suffice at the present time.... now I cant say if this is TRUE OR NOT, like I said, I wasnt there. I DO KNOW, that as Kerry states, their are massive gaps in coverage if you take out 1 group or the other especially when you talk of a State Wide plan.... Piss poor really but it is fair to say that as some groups, AND ORGANISATIONS, are better prepared in some areas of training and accreditation that with the recently imposed NATIONAL STANDARDS, if requirements are not met within a very short timeframe, then the units and groups NOT ADHERING to the National Standards may be forced to close.... What does this mean??? Requests of assistance between all the Groups Nationally to the other groups is forcing each other to work together.... a good thing.... the downside is at grassroots level the requirement for the active members is that they now train to National Standards level.... why is it a downside, many MORE hours spent fundraising for many more hours training.... both theory and practice... very hard on those older members who are EXTREMELY skilled and experienced who now have to re-sit many examinations previously attained and competancies displayed.... We have 1 such member in our unit that is likely to toss it who has spent 15 years doing rescue work, has sailed in the Sidney-Hobart many times... Gladstone etc.... had his own charter boat, salvage boat, fishing boat and now he has to have someone come along like me who knows nothing in comparison to him and put him back through written tests, oral examinations and practical observations... the bloke is as sharp as a knife.... big loss to any group to loose people with this experience (He is also 1 of the only 2 bar rated skippers in our unit).... never mind, thats a whole other issue... I have rambled on long enough :-X
Cheers Lloyd

boatboy50
10-03-2005, 04:31 PM
Guys,

VMR Southport is located near Seaworld on the Spit side of Southport.

We too have a "Gold" membership base, which covers you in a select group of units within the Brisbane /Moreton Bay area. Its a little more than the usual, but you are covered for most of the Goldie/Brisbane and Sunny area. Subzero probs knows more about this than me, as i just drive the boat. Dont care much for politics.

You will find a huge difference between the training standards of the bay groups, and those in remote areas such as 1770 ect, its just the way it is. There is no way the coast will ever be entirely covered, its such a huge spanse. Dont hold your breath for it to happen. We all have enough trouble getting money as it is with around 24 groups, imagine if we had 48!

Kerry, lets not get into this "one time we couldnt get towed s**t". Tell us which group, where it was and why it happened that way. Dont do a Troy, and tell us specifics. Im sure theres an explanation. Ive been at Southport over 10 years and we've never said "No" at any time, and never heard anyone else say it either.

Regards
Darren

DaneCross
10-03-2005, 05:13 PM
We too have a "Gold" membership base, which covers you in a select group of units within the Brisbane /Moreton Bay area. Its a little more than the usual, but you are covered for most of the Goldie/Brisbane and Sunny area. Subzero probs knows more about this than me, as i just drive the boat. Dont care much for politics.

Tell me more, tell me more... how much? who are these 'select units'? Sounds interesting.

whichway
10-03-2005, 05:31 PM
Now I am confused. :-/

Say I leave Manly, cross South Passage, and fish around Point Lookout.

If I need a tow will Coast Guard Manly cover me the whole way? When do North Stradbroke get in on the act.

If I leave from Raby Bay and cross South Passage etc, who will be responding to my calls.

And what if I go to Hutchies from Scarborough.

I don't mind paying $50 or $65 or whatever on an annual basis, but, if I pay the money, I would like to be covered for a tow wherever I go for a fish around the Bay.

I suppose I am after a sort of an RACQ on water.

Whatever the response, I still maintain that the right thing to do is to pay the money to whoever is likely to provide the best service. These guys and girls need all the support we can give them. Still going to join one this weekend.

Regards

Whichway

subzero
10-03-2005, 05:51 PM
whichway, boatboy50 is talking about arrangements that they have made as a unit for their particular group with several other units, this includes an agreement they have made with our unit, (we picked up one of theirs last Monday from Jumpinpin I believe and towed the vessel to Sampsons Marina N/C), If you are a member of a unit in the Bay, you are covered by all VMR units in the Bay, THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE COASTGUARD UNITS, if Coastguard are called in, then you pay :'(.... in the event of a REAL emergency the costs are usually met by VKR Water Police if EITHER VMR or Coastguard are activated through them ;D
Obviously the reverse is also true, if you are a member of a Coastguard program, and a VMR unit comes to assist you, then you are likely to be charged unless they have an agreement in place with that particular group.... wherever you have signed up, get the details as to who will be looking after you....
Clear as mud ??? ;)
Cheers Lloyd

Kerry
10-03-2005, 05:55 PM
Darren, NO we won't be getting into the full specifics here, politics are sh..full enough at the best of times.

So your problem is understanding that it did occur and lets here some opinions on the matter as it does appear some groups are heading this way with a 25nm limit limit, now being called a so called "free tow limit" but this occured late in 2003.

It happened because of a blown impellor (quite common on these motors at the time) and it did happen well outside this magic 25 nm limit, not that anybody was aware of this so called magic limit prior to this incident, not that I had heard anything about anyway.

And it happened that way because of a refusal to go beyond the 25nm limit, this is what you have to get your head around, where it occured doesn't matter, it did occur.

This boat made it under its own steam running on a washdown pump (something some here might store in the memory bank ;) but will require fittings on hand) at about 5 knots to the magic 25nm limit from which point they were towed the rest of the way home.

Now the question still is what the hell would have occured if it was more than a water pump and could not be jury rigged, like as who wants to take a risk with this type of crap at 4.30 in the afternoon 40 odd mile plus out to sea.

And as for an explanation, yeah right it appeared nobody wanted to talk about it but that doesn't surprise me.

Cheers, Kerry.

dfox
10-03-2005, 06:39 PM
I know that the mooloolaba coastguard asked me at the ramp one day if id like to join as a member, i cant remember the price but it entitled you to a free tow up to 25mile out and then it was extra for every mile after that, i explained i was a member at redcliffe and left it at that.

Kiktz
11-03-2005, 07:57 AM
SUBZERO,

This may be of interest or may not be, But just a thought !!! if you could get it through to the power that be,

I being involved in the fruit and vege industry was very happy when they imposed certain levels of "training" and certificates that need to be held by farmers in order to conform with their QA regulations that the older generation that are as you say are

"EXTREMELY skilled and experienced" who now have to re-sit many examinations previously attained and competencies displayed...."

where given these required certificates due to their experience and knowledge. As they have that experience that sometimes can not be taught to you.

I think it is fair enought to expect that the younger generation be test and so forth butas for older members with the experience that have greater competiancey should not have to....

I hope this make sence as I am not the best at putting my thoughts to paper.......

boatboy50
11-03-2005, 02:19 PM
Guys,

As a VMR Southport member, ive never heard of a 25 mile limit. It doesnt exist for us. Im sure the other VMR units also do not have this limit. It doesnt matter how far out you are, or if its an emergency or not, we can come out to help (its just free within reason if your a member!). The only time we couldnt help out is if the rescue boat or crew werent up to the task (not enough range, too rough ect ect ect). If this is the case, the Water Police are bought into the situation to help out with their bigger boats. In an emergency, if your that far out, a helicopter will be used regardless, because it will work better.

As DC bought up, maybe the 25 mile limit is a Coast Guard rule or something (As opposed to VMR!)

Rescue Ranger is going to come on (another member) to explain the "Gold" Membership and its entitlements, as he knows more about this than me.

Regards
Darren

reScuE_RanGEr
11-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Wow, what an awesome topic! I can give you an insight to how we are currently operating at VMR Southport.
We have two forms of associate membership.
1. Standard Associate membership $55 offering coverage between Jumpinpin and Pt Danger and 50nm to sea. (we can go further than that, but we need Water Police approval)
2. Gold Associate membership $66 offering coverage between Byron Bay and the northern end of Moreton Bay.

Both these memberships include free first year membership to the SAR Club in Surfers Paradise as well as a membership card which can be used to get discounts in over 100 businesses. Free courses are also run regularly for members and base facilites are available for hire at a discounted rate.

If we assist people who are not our members we seek reimbursement of costs at $110 per hour in our two large vessels and $55 per hour in our training vessel. I think its important to clarify though that we seek no reimbursements for Search and Rescue activations e.g overturned vessels, missing vessels, maydays, fires, etc. These jobs are why we exist. We use the routine breakdowns and membership returns to keep us operational for those SAR jobs.

As far as number of tows to which a member is entitled, there is no limit. The only condition we put on it is that membership entitles the member to free 'essential' towing. 'Non-essential' towing will be done for members at a reduced rate. A 'non-essential' tow refers to pre organized jetty to jetty tows whereas essential tows are for breakdowns, out of fuels, vessels aground and basically assisting people when they are stuck out on the water.

I hope this helps to show what VMR Southport is offering. Basically we will endeavour to get our members home safely regardless of where they are and if we need another sqauadron to help out, we will pay that squadron to do the job so that our member doesn't incur a cost.

Cheers
Steve

blaze
11-03-2005, 04:51 PM
Bloody envious of the support the boating public have up there, If I break down I have a good radio contact area manned on a volenteer basis (one lady), Critical breakdown , may be able to get the police cat to come out (if its not low tide), other than that you rely on ya mates, I carry a 18hp aux in the cab of the boat.
cheers
blaze

Kerry
12-03-2005, 05:02 AM
So what's the general size, configuration of VMR and/or Coastguard boats in the southport - Victoria point - North area.

Is there any "policy" requiring 2 skippers for any activities or the minimum 1 skipper and associated crew.

As for police boats, what is available/based in the immediate area and general size, style etc

Cheers, Kerry.

Kiktz
12-03-2005, 06:30 AM
Rescue Ranger,

What is the go if you would like to be an active participating member?????

reScuE_RanGEr
12-03-2005, 09:56 AM
Kerry, most VMR/Coast Guards units have a 8-9m cabin boat and another one of two smaller vessels. At Southport, we have 9m, 7m and 5.5m Noosa Cats. As far as operating them, all our boats require at least 1 skipper and 1 crew person. We have crews available 24/7 with crews on duty at the base between 6pm Friday and 6pm Sunday. For all other times we operate on a call out basis and can generally have the boat on the water within 15mins.

As far as water police go, they only get inovolved in the big SAR jobs and are happy to leave all the routine tows and breakdowns to VMR and Coast Guard. They also have a large cabin boat and couple of smaller ones plus some jet skis down here.

Kiktz, as far as active membership goes we do one 24hr crew shift every three weekends. That can either be a Friday nite and Saturday crew, or a Saturday nite and Sunday crew. This time is spent manning the base and training as well as attending to any calls that come in.

Active members also need to take part in fundraising and some raffles and night time radio shifts, so it is a fairly large committment. However, in saying that you will learn more than you could just boating privately and there is also the social aspect of meeting heaps of people with similar interests.

I hope this helps.

Steve

subzero
12-03-2005, 01:56 PM
Kiktz, yest they do have RCC (recognised Current Competancies) and RPL (Recognised Prior Learning), up to a certain extent.... its amazing to note that this bloke who recently spent 47 days in a fishing dory with no food or water and survived in reasonably good health, would more than likely fail the Survival at Sea course on the theory side of it... ;D Crazy isnt it.. whats more important, experience and having done it, or talking about theory and what you would or should do...
Hells teeth, he knows more about it than the rest of us put together... another issue of which I could spend hours on and at the end of it only get more disalusioned.

Boatboy50, RescueRanger, great package you guys are offering down your neck of the woods... extremely good value for money...

Kerry, at Victoria Point, we have a 4.7m Stabicraft (VP3) with a Honda50/4 supposed to be for training only although I have used it on the Pelican Banks to heel a yacht over that was aground... (VP2) 5,8m Gemini Honda 130/4 fast response (10 hours operating time normal conditions), shallow water work, under 15ft as a guide tow vessel, (VP1) 8.2m 2 x 200/4 Yamaha counter rotating props (12 hours Max normal operating conditions), general purpose rescue vessel.
All are mono-hulls and VP1 is our only vessel technicaly allowed to cross a bar.. (VMR rules state the vessel must have 2 outboards for bar work, but of course the requirement to assist under Maritime Regulations by any Skipper recreational or otherwise overides this if you can do so safely as the Master of the vessel, as VKR Water Police like to point out on occassion), all vessels except VP3 are comercially rated 2C.... as RescueRanger was saying, we must have 1 Skipper and 1 crew on board as the BARE minimum set by VMRAQ themselves, the job itself will dictate the actual operational mimimum, i.e Helmsman, Navigator/Radio Operator and 2 crew on spotties etc when looking for people in the water at night.... conditions, age of crew, size of vessel, target, expected time on water may require even more....
Police boats, full details here, history including how they got their name, and consequently the traditional naming of replacement vessels... very interesting reading
Cheers Lloyd
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ijr/bio.html

Kiktz
15-03-2005, 05:49 AM
Rescue Ranger / Steve THanks very much for your reply I will be checking into it?

Subzero, I am very pleased to hear that they have the RCC and the RPL, as it would be a dam shame to lose the knowledge that the older generation has offer.

Thanks again for your feed back guys.

noluck
15-03-2005, 06:40 AM
I would like u to ask is it fer if u call for help on water and u got your self going and VMR on thay way to you to help u but becouse u got boat going u call tham off half way back . so ther VMR wating for u at remp and giving u bill of $320 wich u did not even see tham .
Would you pay or not
My friend was in trabule and that how was and he pay any way $320 did not see VMR at all to till ramp.
That was at Mooloolaba

subzero
15-03-2005, 11:30 AM
Mooloolaba is Coastguard unit QF6 (Call sign VMR 406), not a VMR unit....Me, I wouldnt pay personally.... certainly not $320-00 anyhow, thats for sure... That sort of thing happens all the time (cancelled jobs) and is all part of the job... I do not know of any instances where VMR units ATTEMPT to recover costs for jobs that have been cancelled unless they are people who regualy get themselves into strife by doing stupid things repeatedly such as repeatedly running out of fuel or we had one at Vicky Point whos mooring was in such dissrepair that he lost it 4 times, 3 times we recovered it and tried to recover our costs but got nothing apart from "I didnt tell you to recover it"... well the 4th time, sadly, it made the rocks in the Anchorage (Pt Halloran), we were a tad bit slow getting to it that time ;).
I will also point out that the above job, the Vessel was not a hazzard to navigation, and their were no persons on board so technicly we shouldnt get involved anyhow as this becomes salvage work... ;D
Getting back to the Coastguard thing above, ALL RESCUE GROUPS THROUGHOUT AUSTRALIA, have a VMR call sign even though they may be from another group so confusion as to which group is envolved is likely from time to time.
Cheers Lloyd

noluck
15-03-2005, 07:04 PM
Lioyd that was costgard mooloolaba and that was his 1st and last call for recavery.
it hapend 3 4 weeks ago i was at fishing at banks ther was two boats, frind of my he pull out his brend new bar crusher and he run out of fuel obout 18 km out . and my friend hwo was with me on my boat he told me what hapened to him 2 years ago (he has to pay $320 for not seing costgart part of at ramp). so i got seck and whant to go back but my friend say will see u at ramp just what do few more strols. i got at remp he was not ther so i got to morefield when he call us and say he run out off fuel.
He say he call for costgard but ther say ther will cam soon as ther got cru thugeder whan ??? did not say . so we got fuel and went back to him . and we all comm back hapy and safe a. i will just say when we lonch boat back in wather was late afternoon sea got very ruf and big took me over one hour for 18 km.

Heath
15-03-2005, 07:46 PM
Lioyd that was costgard mooloolaba and that was his #1st and last call for recavery.
it hapend 3 4 weeks ago i was at fishing at banks ther was two boats, frind of my he pull out his brend new bar crusher and he run out of fuel obout 18 km out . and my friend hwo was with me on my boat he told me what hapened to him 2 years ago (he has to pay $320 for not seing costgart part of at ramp). so i got seck and whant to go back but my friend say will see u at ramp just what do few more #strols. i got at remp he was not ther so i got to #morefield when he call us and say he run out off fuel.
He say he call for #costgard #but ther say ther will cam soon as ther got cru thugeder whan #??? did not say . #so we got fuel and went back to him . and we all comm back hapy #and safe a. i will just #say when we lonch boat back in wather #was late afternoon sea got #very ruf and big took me #over one hour for 18 km.

WTF!!! :o

I think the answer is "YES" ::)

subzero
16-03-2005, 12:54 AM
no_luck, that was very foolish of your friend to run out of fuel so far out to sea, it is also of some concern that he may not have checked the weather reports before going and did not get updates throughout the day.... I hope that he has learned his lesson especially as he is obviously carrying other people who trust in his judgement....
I also assume in my above message that when he had made other arrangements for help, (you to come and pick him up), that he did contact Coastguard and let them know that they were no longer needed and didnt just leave it to see who got their first... As you know boats are very expensive to run and maintain and Coastguard are Volunteers too, and I see that the boat they more than likely used was a 13m Cairns Custom Craft which would have used an awful lot of fuel if not cancelled. I think a donation would have been in order particualy as they had to call out extra crew etc
Cheers Lloyd

Kiktz
16-03-2005, 05:36 AM
Hey Guys,

Do you know of any coast guard or VMR that are in need of new volunteers?

subzero
16-03-2005, 10:38 AM
Most units are usualy after Volunteers, but you must be prepared to do the other bits that come with it, such as fundraising.
Where do you live Kiktz?

noluck
16-03-2005, 07:33 PM
i did not blime him it was newboat and he burnd 160l in 130km and fuel gadges still showing just under 1/4 of full.that was his frst big trip and YES did call back costgard and advice tham that his fiends coming to drop fuel wail i was still at morefield servo at time so ther say thanks for advicing if he need futer halp to just call back wich was very nice from costgard.
cheers

Kerry
17-03-2005, 02:37 AM
....i did not blime him it was newboat....
Well I would for the reasons 1) Did not know his boat well enough as obviously he had absolutely no idea of expected fuel usage 2) Trusted a bloody fuel gauge :o

Cheers, Kerry.

Kiktz
17-03-2005, 06:28 AM
Subzero,

I live in Brissy but have good access to the Gold Coast.
I am not too sure on which way to go ???

As the added extras, My aim is to be able not just to gain greater experience but as I have said in the past give something back. We all fish and love our boating...
The way I see it a lil of my time is not that big of a deal.

Cheers

P.S

Not trying to make a witch hunt out of this but got to agree with Kerry, We have had our Allison for 2 yrs and I still carry spare fuel on board. And the fact of the matter is as Kerry said you NEED to know your boat in all aspects not just on its fuel range

subzero
17-03-2005, 04:32 PM
Kiktz, if you like pm me and tell me what suburb you live in.
I know Nth Stradbroke are desperate for members and are finding it hard to keep the doors open. They have a very limited number of people available to help out because of their locality. (They have good support from the locals financially and dont fundraise as much as others).
If you are on the Southside, I would opt for VMR Southport or VMR Jacobs Well if you dont mind the travel. Remember to take into consideration the expectations that will be placed upon you to assist with fundraising, public promotions, training courses and of course your actual roster.
Let me know which one's you are considering joining and I will get some phone numbers for you to ring to discuss what they will expect from you, and you in return will expect from them.
With regards to Kerry, it's very hard to disagree with him on most occassions, the difference is I have to be a little more tactfull than him... ;)
I suspect that Kerry might have had some Vollunteer experience with one of the groups and is keeping mum about it... :-X just a wild guess
Cheers Lloyd

Kiktz
17-03-2005, 06:38 PM
Lloyd,

Sent you PM Looking forward to your reply

Thanks

mulley
02-06-2005, 01:30 PM
It might just me, but it seems like Lloyd and a couple of other guys are using this site as a political tool to try and work out the troubles of a couple of groups that can't even manage to sit in the same room!!
Why don't you guys get up from your screens and get outside to your cars and meet with these people.
As for the money issue the tax payer pays for the lot no matter which way you look at it so instead of bitching about lack of funding or commercial ops,why don't you get out there and do the job of RESCUE which is why these org's all started in the first place.At the end of the day you are all volunteers it's not like your going to lose your house, just do what you LIKE doing and if you don't like it then just go fishing and let the young guys have a go!!!!

MULLEY.

bay_firey
02-06-2005, 02:35 PM
It might just me, but it seems like Lloyd and a couple of other guys are using this site as a political tool to try and work out the troubles of a couple of groups that can't even manage to sit in the same room!!
Why don't you guys get up from your screens and get outside to your cars and meet with these people.
As for the money issue the tax payer pays for the lot no matter which way you look at it so instead of bitching about lack of funding or commercial ops,why don't you get out there and do the job of RESCUE which is why these org's all started in the first place.At the end of the day you are all volunteers it's not like your going to lose your house, just do what you LIKE doing and if you don't like it then just go fishing and let the young guys have a go!!!!

MULLEY. #

You are right Mulley

IT IS JUST YOU
So pull your head in and get a grip on the real world

As for the money I wish the taxpayer paid for the lot.
VMR/Coast Guard don't get anywhere near enough money from the "tax Payer" to
get out there and do the job of RESCUE
MULLEY.

vp3
02-06-2005, 02:38 PM
Mulley I am a volunteer VMR. What you write is absolute crap. I give up my time from my family, fishing or even drinking while on roster to go and maybe rescue a blithering idiot with the inteligance of your self -------give me a break.
Thanks Bay Firey - - -well said
Ian

basserman
02-06-2005, 03:02 PM
well as bay firey and VP3 said mulley [smiley=thumbsdown.gif]
i'm not a volunteer however i am a fisherman that fishes out side a bit and one day it may come that i may need these felles to drag me back home
i also know alot about price of fule and let me tell you the grants these blokes get don't even come close to covering the fule bill let alone equipment training and all the other $$$$'s that go into it so that is why i don't just pay my $25 yearly mebership but pay $50 for my yearly mebership and also give a donation in the name of my business of $200 each year just so i know i can help anyone in need without dangering my life like the volunteers do
keep up the good work boys and gals [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Kiktz
02-06-2005, 03:19 PM
Mulley,

you should post your rego and a pic of your boat so the VMR can take their time if you ever call of them.

NAH... Don't do it that would only be sinking to your level

subzero
02-06-2005, 04:09 PM
Gidday Mulley, im not sure I would call it a political tool. I do try and keep in the ear of the only people who are likely to support not only VMR and our unit, but all rescue units and volunteers in general.
We enjoy fantastic support from the people that frequent this forum and I have a high regard and a great deal of respect for the majority of those fishing persons within here.
This is a "targeted audience" as we are all similar in our outlook and interests. (You have a vested interest and you yourself are targeting it, you are not being honest as to what that vested interest is).
I like learning, boating and fishing so it makes sense this is where I attempt to drum up support for those that quite frankly really need help, from those who are most likely to provide it, this is where I should come or do you perhaps recommend a breast feeding mothers chatroom or something?
Many of the members of Ausfish have become my good friends and I have learnt a lot from them, and plan to continue doing so into the future. (If thats ok with you?).

Now, it may just be a suspicious mind, but you are the 3rd person who has attacked, not discussed issues relating to Rescue Groups. Strangely enough, it is the same day that they join as a new member on the Ausfish site and their first post is to a distant thread. (This one you would have had to search through to find as it's last post was on the 16th March after the system crash). I suspect you are a commercial operator and yes we are standing on your toes. In all honesty I actually simpathise with the commercial opperators. We SHOULD NOT be competing with the livelyhood of those in private enterprise but at the end of the day, we will do whatever we have to do to survive through lack of funding. (Is this to political for you?). If you are not a commercial opperator you are sadly someone who has a MAJOR chip on their shoulders against rescue groups or the attempts to unify these groups. What ever the case, civility and honesty will generally get a better response than the torrent of "bullsh!t" that has spewed forth from your mouth.
Just as an aside, as volunteers, we can loose our houses and even go to jail if we make a BAD mistake through lack of training, caused through lack of funds.. but thats a whole other issue... one a little to political for you. (Unless you are a politition). ;)
Bay Firey, VP3, Kiktz dont let this bloke get to you, quite frankly his coments hold so little merit that they do not really warrant the effort of replying to, but in my defence, I just couldnt resist myself, I too enjoy a good stir :-X ;D
Safe boating to you mulley, and what ever alias you choose to change it to next week, must go back through the posts and get Steve to check those IP addresses, could be very interesting to find out who you really are 8)
Cheers Lloyd

DR
02-06-2005, 04:23 PM
Now, it may just be a suspicious mind, but you are the 3rd person who has attacked, not discussed issues relating to Rescue Groups. Strangely enough, it is the same day that they join as a new member on the Ausfish site and their first post is to a distant thread. (This one you would have had to search through to find as it's last post was on the 16th March after the system crash). Cheers Lloyd

good one Lloyd, thats 3 of the 4 i was referring to, didn't consider they might be commercial operaters, just thought they were clowns here to stir sh*t.
the other one i can think of is in troys beach house thread.

Kiktz
02-06-2005, 04:34 PM
Yeh DR there are some wa$K*rs out there.
They must lack a fair bit of Tackle to hide behind a keyboard.

P.S where did maxy's post go ???
May be would should call in the VMR to help find'em

subzero
02-06-2005, 04:42 PM
No worrys, END OF STORY....
Matt, how is SEATOW going anyway.... too bad you couldnt have been honest and just had a shot straight at me in stead of comming out with the indignant bullsh!t...
Next time, hide your e-mail address, new I had seen it before, meant to look it up last time....
LIKE I SAID, I dont want to be in competition with you, NOR SHOULD WE, perhaps a common sense approach from ALL PARTIES might save a heap of agro and bad feelings.... just like VMR and Coastguard cant think things through for the benefit of the public...
ALL THE BEST WITH YOUR VENTURE
Matt, to save you the embarrasment, remove your crapy posts and I will remove mine identifying you.
CHECKMATE ;)
Cheers Lloyd

longtail
02-06-2005, 04:51 PM
as a past member of victoria pt ( about 10 years ago) and more recently associate member of hervey bay vmr i agree that these guys and girls do a fantastic job ( despite a complete lack of funding) to all the vmr/avcg members out there keep up the great service you provide to the boating public [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

southernson
02-06-2005, 09:55 PM
Without coastguard/vmrs there would be alot of people out there that might not have got home from the odd mishap out wide somewhere or even in trouble one of the many bars around. These men and women do an excellent job of looking after us when where enjoying ourselves, doing what we love. Without em that wouldnt be possible, well safely ne way. even if i wasnt charged for a tow id most certaintly donate some much needed cash to em, no questions asked.
Cheers matt

Morlers
03-06-2005, 02:39 PM
I'm a crew member of the local VMR AND PROUD OF IT. Besides helping people in need, I am learning skills that are making me a better boatie. Skills like boat handling, coastal navigation, understanding weather / tides / sea conditions and using radios to list but a few. If that's not enough, the camaraderie I enjoy amongst the other members is great. I'm glad I joined. Just wanted to post my thoughts.

:) :)

Morlers

ratsack
04-06-2005, 06:34 PM
I am an active member of Gladstone VMR, cost me $12/year, Active members can do radio duty 1/2 day twice a year or join a boat crew where you service/check the rescue boat on Sat morn and are on call for the rest of the week for rescues. Or you can do both. Plain membership is around $55/yr. There is no charge for a tow for members. The membership also follows the member and not the boat