PDA

View Full Version : Beach Worming

fish2eat
04-06-2005, 07:12 AM
Hi everyone, my first post after a few months of just soaking up some great info.

There was a great thread on here about worming that got "lost" in the crash. Although I usually fish from my boat around the Pin, I've started to get interested in beach fishing.

My first attempt to catch worms would have made the finals on funniest home video!

My specific problem is that I can get the little things to stick their heads up, can tease them up about a cm, but soon as I try to close the worm pliers around their throats.....gooooone!

Help....please with this final stage, while its funny now, I really would like some for bait

Stu

fish2eat
04-06-2005, 07:13 AM
??? ???

SeaHunt
04-06-2005, 08:01 AM
Get out your fishing knife, and when they stick their heads out quickly slice through the sand a few inches back from their head, a few inches at a time is better than nothing. ;D

Custaro
04-06-2005, 08:44 AM
there is something about beach worming that sucks you in...i spent many hours chasing them unsuccessfully but kept at it.
Man Vs Worm....doesn't sit well knowing Worm is winner. Anyways, I eventually watched a video and had a bloke show me the finer points and Man is making a comeback.

1. use a fresh pippi as your finger bait

2. don't stand on where the worm would lie under the surface. they travel parallel to the waters edge.

3. slowly squeeze your pliers or fingers until you have a firm hold, don't try and snatch.

Good luck!

Vic

gunna
04-06-2005, 09:02 AM
There is some great info here

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~kaesehagen/

fish2eat
04-06-2005, 09:59 AM
thanks gunna for the link....this is a revellation....hallelujia
;D ;D

gunna
04-06-2005, 11:36 AM
Your welcome fish2eat. I have had a bit of a go at them and I was surprised how you can pretty much have your fingers right up against them (prior to the squeeze & lift) and they don't react. As was explained to me - with the water streaming past & all the sand a debris banging against the worm why would it worry about fingers. But then its that squeeze & lift bit that brought me undone. But chuck the pliers away & learn with your fingers. I have a couple mates that do it. Plenty of practice & you won't look back.

kleiny
04-06-2005, 11:39 AM
i say throw the pliers in the bin. use a some sigh frames in a onion bag wave it around until you see the worm heads & get a fresh pipi get close to there mouth coax them out as far as you can while slowly moving your other hand in slightly under the sand getting ready to apply slow hard pressure ounce you have the worm take your time they are stronger than you think squeeze tighly then slowly pull from the hole noy using to much pressure as they can break. hope this helps kleiny

SURF_SNIPER
04-06-2005, 12:53 PM
interesting article, not sure about his chosen spot to worm though. there is a bag limit in QLD of 30 worms or parts there of so keep this in mind.

fish to eat, dont start using pliers as learning the " by hand method " is by far the best and you allways carry your hand with you....... and just for note using pliers for worms is actualy illegal in QLD that is why alvey changed the name of there worm pliers to fishing pliers.

Drew

SURF_SNIPER
04-06-2005, 12:56 PM
when worming try not to use an onion or mesh bag . it stirs sand and sends vibrations through the sand that can spook fish. use stingrays or shark for bait as it is tough, last long and doesnt break into small peices that the worms will eat in stead of your finger bait.

MulletMan
04-06-2005, 02:36 PM
Yeh good advice to pitch the pliers - they will kill the worm instantly and you will lose any chance of keeping them for any period of time. I prefer the small amount of bait, even a whole mullet with his guts cut open and on a rope is fine. Pippy or squid in yer left finger and always look for a low tide if possible. As someone already said, you can almost tickle their chins if you do it right.
1. # Always stand upstream of the worm
2. # Don't attempt to snag him (or her) in lots of water
3. # Put the small bit of bait slightly away from him to make him come out and have a good peek i.e. tease him a bit!
4. # Use your right thumb and forefinger like a pair of pliers and as you push them around him try to initially allow about half an inch either side of the head/neck and then very gently "push" him up in a small mound of sand and try to actually touch his neck. You will be surprised how much of this they will take. If you aren't touching him then it is unlikely you will be close enough when you make the final lunge! You don't need to throttle him till his eyes are bulging, just the lightest of touch....!
5. # A good hungry worm will ALWAYS start to "hump" several times and (trust me) the "third" hump is when you hit him!!
6. # If you miss,then is All Over Red Rover - he won't come back for a second go!
7. # The biggest mistake is lack of patience and hurrying to beat the next wave! Best to stand up, stretch the back and wait for a better go........
8. # When dragging the mullet or whatever, always keep the ankle biters and mates away from the "downstream" side of your bait. Any pressure and they simply won't come up.
9. # If you jag a big one and he is not keen on coming out of the sand, just hold him steadily til he gives in. If you wrestle him out with both hands, you will bust all the blood vessels and he will turn his toes up very promptly.
10. #When you have your limit, pick out any deaduns and keep the rest in clean, dry white sand. You can make 'em last for up to a week (just) if you give them some TLC.
11. #Better yet, take me fishin' and I will help you catch 'em! ;D

nigelr
04-06-2005, 03:22 PM
Start on the "high tiders", 1st 1-3 hours of the run out. Once you can catch them, move on to "slimies", on the next 3 hours of the run out. Get rid of the pliers! (IMO, LOL) Use a stingray as a burley if you can get it, otherwise any thing that is reasonably fresh (IMO) will do, and use a pipi as a "hand" burley. Be prepared to accept that this will take time! #:) #Relax as much as possible, and enjoy! #;D When you are fully competent, try for KING WORMS! ;D / ?There is some fantastic advice posted here, listen to it all and you could not help but be successful. But, BE PATIENT!

imported_admin
05-06-2005, 04:48 AM
The Art of Beach Worming DVD is available at
http://www.ausfish.com.au/books/salwaterdvd.shtml

Sportfish_5
05-06-2005, 05:06 AM
It is amazing where the time goes when you get into hunting them ::)

My tip - Make sure you have a six pack of beer with you when doing this to track time - If ya got no worms after the 6th beer then it's time to give it away for the day as by then you will be too cut to get one anyway :-/ ::) (useless fishing tip # 135) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

PS - If you got a mate that can catch them dont give him any beer ;)

Cheers

Greg

SURF_SNIPER
05-06-2005, 06:24 AM
few tips, tie your pipi to your wrist with bait budy , stops your dropping it.

try to learn to catch them in water as it is easier

try to learn to catch them in the first 3 seconds of giving them the bait, dont take alll day waiting for them to arch.

this will all make you a better quicker wormer.

also learn on slimies as they are the fastest, any one can catch brownies or king worms as there dumb and slow, you just got to be strong.

SURF_SNIPER
05-06-2005, 06:28 AM
even better tip.... come buy some off me!

fish2eat
05-06-2005, 06:56 AM
Hi Surf Sniper,

Thanks for the tips, and for all the others who have contributed as well, can't wait to get out and try again, maybe tomorrow.

Ok so you make a few bucks from selling the worms, but seems like you could make some by conducting a monthly hands on worming class. I'll sign up for the first one if you do decide to run one......so will my better half, her technique is as hillarious as mine! ;D

SURF_SNIPER
05-06-2005, 07:00 AM
sounds like a new avenue.... but then thinking, id only have to teach you once and Then who would buy worms?

nice try ;D

Da-Jew-Man
05-06-2005, 10:27 AM
Enough said except good pulling.
I have taught a few people to worm especially those nice girls in those brazilian bikinis.
Ahh, took some follow up lessons also.
;D ;D ;D ;D

straddie
05-06-2005, 04:32 PM
Hi fish2eat, no artistic merrit in my rough as guts worming technique so I won't try to confuzzle you with more details.

It's always a good time to practice worming, but next weekend might give you a better chance at them than this one ;)

straddie
06-06-2005, 04:28 PM
....ooops scratch the next weekend comment ::) it's not May is it :o

bugman
07-06-2005, 04:51 AM
Well what good timing. Just came back from Straddie where these little babies accounted for some very good bream.

I'm not the best wormer but I can get my share.

As the others have mentioned patience and practise. Gently squeeze - don't pinch and you to could do this.

Bugman

propdinger
07-06-2005, 04:57 AM
Brett good to see you take safety to a high standard with the rope around the leg im guessing it was tied to the landy ;D ;D ;D :o :o :o

Da-Jew-Man
07-06-2005, 08:21 AM
What's this wearing waders thing in the day.
Come on its not that cold and saltwater is good for lots of things.
;D ;D ;D ;D

bugman
07-06-2005, 08:56 AM
I'm becoming a sook in my old age Jewie ;D