PDA

View Full Version : weird baits?

jimmybob
07-06-2005, 06:08 AM
so what weird or wacky baits/lures have you caught fish on?ive caught a heap of winter whiting on chewing gum and last weekend i caught a couple of grinners(damn things)on sour worms(lollies)....farkin funny i thought...oh yer and in the fresh i caught a eel using a live grasshopper on the surface at night for bass...that suprised me too...

StevenM
07-06-2005, 06:20 AM
Run out of bait on a hot tailor bite so I started cutting up me bonds white singlet. Worked 2. Caught fish while others 20 foot away using bait were getting less than us. Classic ;D

Big_unit
07-06-2005, 06:23 AM
When we were kids holidaying at Harrington, NSW. Mid 80s. I can remember walking down the beach for ages just to get there and have the ole man tell us that we have no bait. Being the king of improvise he rigged our lines as normal and baited our hooks with a small piece of alfoil ( we were in hysterical laughter and telling him no way will it work ) BUT the 4 of us all caught Flathead on alfoil. When Dad got pippies we all refused to use them, we ate them too roasted on the fire. Thats probably one of my favourite fishing/holiday memories. Flathead caught on alfoil and roasted in alfoil.

Cheers
James.

Mick
07-06-2005, 08:06 AM
Caught a bream on a bit of red skin lolly in the Pine River when I was a young'n. I also landed a 82cm flathead with a popper that wasn't being retrieved. I was using the popper and decided to change lures as I wasn't getting any hits. I left the popper floating on the surface as I rumaged through the tackle box when the flathead came up and smashed the popper about 2 feet from me.

agnes_jack
07-06-2005, 10:17 AM
Trout on licorice.

Regards, Tony ;D ;D ;D

zedjack33
07-06-2005, 10:35 AM
Carp on cigarette butts [smiley=jester.gif] [smiley=jester.gif] [smiley=jester.gif]

raefpud
07-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Yellowbelly in the :o :o upper reaches of the Brisbane river caught on an old McDonalds french fry :o :o

agnes_jack
07-06-2005, 11:49 AM
Zedjack
The remora's (suckerfish) Don't mind a smoke either ::)

SquareBear
07-06-2005, 04:26 PM
Bream on 3-ganged pilly :o
Bream on KFC skin
Gar on Chicken twisties

SquareBear 8)

Rumbo
07-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Might just be because I use orange anything a lot for bait but good flathead seem to like anything orange from lures to orange peel when they won't take anything else. Also caught some really nice bream just after a big storm in a little bay, behind the rocks on ox liver when nobody else was getting a bit.

Hoges
07-06-2005, 05:06 PM
:oNot weird bait but weird lure! ::)

I was helping sail a racing yacht from the Phillipines back to Hong Kong and the fishing bug got to me after seeing plenty of fish life in the middle of the South China Sea. I asked the skipper if they had any fishing equipment on board. To which he replied that they had stripped the yacht bare to do the race from Hong Kong.
Bugger! Not to be outdone I wired together two curved sail mending needles, slipped a cut off piece of green garden type hose over them. Then attached it to a spool of venitian blind cord. That went over the side for the remainder of the day and bought back in after nightfall.
The same rig went over the next day with a few wraps around the opposite way on the free sail winch.
Later in the day my mate goes to say "If that catches anything I will bare my arse in Bourke .....!" Before he could get the word street out the winch started screeming.
Thank you very much, one decent sized stripey tuna was dragged on board.
Thank your Mother for the rabbits.

DICER
08-06-2005, 12:16 AM
they're great stories....

I caught sweetlip and whiting with BBQ chicken at Peel Is. Don't know what was better.

The other was a nice toady with a kitchen tile and some string attached to it, and a peanut. With my brother watching and saying "you got to be kidding - put it away" and rolling his eyes - the kitchen tile went into the water and down flat with the sting, and I put the peanut on top. In comes the toady - yank, and out comes the toady sitting on the tile on the river bank. Needless to say what happened next. Bit like "ency wincy spider" ;D Down came the tile on the poor toady - pop. My brother was horrified.

Bearded_Clam
08-06-2005, 03:06 AM
bad deckies make excellent shark bait. ;)

jimmybob
08-06-2005, 05:48 AM
i got a few bream on lamb n mint sausages in nudgee canal but bream do eat anything....my dad reckons he used to use half swallows(bird) to get em in the brissie river somewhere....?