PDA

View Full Version : Council to build fishing location

Hutcho
10-06-2005, 10:21 AM
The paper today talks about a "fishing groyne" that the Brisbane City Council is going to build at a cost of $750,000 over the next two years. The location of this groyne will be at Colmslie on the Brisbane River. They plan to spend a total of $960,000 on it and other projects such as pontoons and ramps and installing fishing platforms.

Good news I guess for those that don't have a boat to fish the river again. Great to see the council sticking to it's promise to Sunfish at election time to improve the river for anglers.

Cheers,
Hutcho.

PS. Article is on p15 of Courier Mail for those interested to know more.

longtail
10-06-2005, 10:36 AM
that will be a good thing for those land based , but they wouldn't have had to build any thing if the council hadn't of let industry stuff the foreshore in the first place , my father (who is now in his 60's) has been fishing the brisbane river since he was a child . i can remember his stories of monster bream and snapper being caught from the old naval wharfs (kangarroo pt reach) but those wharfs were demolished because the powers that be at the time thought they were an eyesore . wouldn't it have been smarter to mantain those wharfs and others along the river instead of now having to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars

Mick
10-06-2005, 11:33 AM
Yeah, probably, but lets not jump on their back eh? Councils arn't always going to make correct decisions (aint that the truth), they are only human, and we elect them to make our decisions. I think Brisbane City Council can give themselves a pat on the back. Good Stuff! ;D
Mick

Derek Bullock
10-06-2005, 03:23 PM
Budget 2005 - Lord Mayor takes Brisbane fishing to Colmslie Beach
8/6/2005

AS promised in his Your Brisbane policy, Lord Mayor Campbell Newman has today announced he will provide much needed funding to support and establish recreational fishing opportunities on the Brisbane River, including $750,000 over two years to develop a recreational fishing area at Colmslie Beach.

Delivering on his commitment to support Brisbane’s recreational fishing industry, Councillor Newman said a fishing platform would be developed in the Colmslie Recreation Reserve to give local residents, as well as the wider Brisbane community, another enjoyable and relaxing activity on the river.

Cr Newman said he was pleased to allocate $960,000 in his upcoming 2005/06 budget to design and construct recreational fishing infrastructure across the city, as well as $250,000 to enhance Brisbane’s recreational fishing opportunities.

"The Brisbane River is a wonderful natural asset which provides our city with an attractive centrepiece, as well as a range of water-based activities. The development of a fishing pontoon will open up the river for those who enjoy fishing – or would like to try the experience," Cr Newman said

"Despite the river being a central part of Brisbane’s psyche and our subtropical climate which makes water-based activities more enjoyable, relatively few people take advantage of river-related sport and recreational activities. Recognising that fishing is a leisurely activity enjoyed by thousands of people, I promised to increase the opportunities for residents and tourists to enjoy our city’s extensive network of waterways."

Boating Industry Association of Queensland General Manager, Mr Barry Hibberd, said Brisbane was really a River City in name only because of the lack of public access to its waterfront.

Mr Hibberd said installation of fishing platforms, pontoons and ramps would help the city maximise its recreational water resource and reputation, as Sydney and Melbourne had done.

"It is also good news for the 23,396 registered boat owners who live in Brisbane and the countless residents who enjoy recreational fishing as a family pastime," Mr Hibberd said.

"This initiative will encourage many more Brisbanites and visitors to pursue a healthy lifestyle on the water. Not only will it enhance recreational opportunities, but also boost the city's national and international tourism reputation."

Mr Hibberd said the allocation of $1.2 million in the city’s next budget was the biggest breakthrough for boating in Brisbane in the past decade.

Dodgy_Back
10-06-2005, 03:45 PM
They've already started at Colmslie, they are even building a fish cleaning table. Had a chat to the fellas working there the other day.
I hope the river does'nt get too popular ! don't want to have to share my fave spots with too many
Mick

devocean
10-06-2005, 03:49 PM
Yeah Im sure they have 750,000 after they build everything they are proposing