PDA

View Full Version : Sea sickness

peter
09-06-2005, 05:21 PM
Help required,

Just about ready to get back into going to sea again to try and get a fish. It's been quite a few years since I've been out and all I can remember is getting sea sick. Is there anything on the market that someone can recommend?

Pedro

Big_unit
09-06-2005, 05:51 PM
Phenergan tablets.

Cheers
James

adrian
10-06-2005, 04:04 AM
travel calm not sure if spelling is right but thats how you say it
it works

chemmy
10-06-2005, 04:38 AM
i found you only start felling sea sick when you think about it to much and if your not geting any bites.
If you get sea sick try driving up to a beach drop the ancor and go for a snorkle and look at al of the fishies it works for me.

Pwoida
10-06-2005, 06:28 AM
Kwells are the best. I get all kinds of motion sickness. Even just watching a tv program or video game that has too much movement will get me green. Went reef fishing in cairns a few months ago and was the only punter on board that felt fine. I took Kwells.

rossramage
10-06-2005, 07:50 AM
Try nibbling on a bit of ginger.

kleiny
10-06-2005, 07:57 AM
kwells can make you thirsty & sleepy though , doesn't for me kleiny

jaybee
10-06-2005, 08:16 AM
Ice cold coke, slurp it down a big buuurrrpp and all should be well.
cheers
Joe

gunna
10-06-2005, 08:56 AM
There was a thread on this a couple weeks ago.

Read this

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/board/YaBB.cgi?board=General;action=display;num=11170036 83;start=

philip_thomson
10-06-2005, 09:32 AM
sea sickness one of my specialities.

top 4 things to do
1. take some sort of tablet
2. plenty of sleep before going. (no late nights)
3. food in gut goes along way
4. practice makes perfect

best cure for sea sickness i found was practice. the more you go the stronger your stomach gets.

keep food and drink in your gut. starburst jelly babies and twisties and honey jumbles are among the best anti seasick foods u can get. ;D as well as drinking plenty of cordial. anotehr advantage of the junk food is that it gets u in the skippers good books ;D

best of luck with the sea sickness
cheers phil

Morlers
10-06-2005, 01:23 PM
If you get sea sick try driving up to a beach drop the ancor and go for a snorkle and look at al of the fishies it works for me.
What do you do if you are say 20 mile out and there are no islands or beaches about ???

:) :)

Morlers

Pwoida
10-06-2005, 01:30 PM
kwells can make you thirsty & sleepy though , doesn't for me # kleiny

Kwells makes you thirsty? I didn't notice, I was drinking beer all day! ;D

chemmy
10-06-2005, 06:37 PM
Morlers then just go for a swim and make sure some one is keeping a look out for sharks.

not only does this method stop you feeling sick it also can be quite refreshing

Rumbo
11-06-2005, 08:13 AM
My wife has tried everthing , all the pills, pressure points, other arty farty shit and nothing works except staying home. As soon as u stop moving she berlies. Don't seem to catch more fish for the berlying!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I find if you stay off the rum the night before helps heaps.

Zeeke
11-06-2005, 09:01 AM
till last year after going on a trip with Mackmauler and Dylan i was dead against sea sickness tablets.. i dont take medication for anything.. not even headaches... but when told we might be heading 30kms offshore.. i decided i better take some just incase... good Ol Kwells.. served me well.. ive been venturing offshore more in the last year then i have in my whole life and ive always been into fishing... mainly due to Kwells... i used to get seasick only 100m from the beach... i did venture a few kms offshore with Dfox and Adamleah a while back.. i did yack.. but i also hadnt slept in 3 days prior to going offshore... once i yakked out there i was fine, had a good feed of dixie drumsticks and coke and took another kwells after yackin... i tell ya.. reheated pizza tastes just as good coming up as it does going down

Tim

Billo
11-06-2005, 09:42 AM
As for tablets,….there is always a range of answers …different tablets affect people differently .

For me, the best tablet is Dramamine …won’t go past it …and everyone I have given them to thinks they are the bomb !!!!

Best way to take them if you’re a queezy boater , take ONE the night before …not only will this assist in knocking you out , it will also get the stuff into your system so it doesn’t take as long to absorb in the morning , and also helps eliminate side effects from the tab in the morn .

Good dinner ….not too much fatty grub ,

Breakfast !!!! and 2 tablets following then 1 every 4 hours your out there .

Plenty of water to stop dehydration, eat while your out there and and try not to sit in the cabin too much ….believe it or not the best thing you can do is sit out in the air and WACTH the waves ….then your brain is not as confused as to why your going up and down .

If you’re a smoker , try and limit how many you smoke , as that also aids dehydration , and alcohol also can make you a bit weak in the guts .

All this would be advice for a weak stomach ….and is what I pretty much practiced when I initially started venturing offshore …now I take no tablets , hardly sleep , don’t eat breakfast , smoke like a chimney and am pissed by lunch time ;D :-X…………but I have enough boating under the belt to be able to do it without flinching, just takes time i guess ...

Burley_Boy
11-06-2005, 12:29 PM
Kwells certainly makes you dry in the mouth (thirsty) the whole point is to dry you up.
Just take one no more.

I still reccomend no milk products nor morning white coffee, and i skip brekkie but bring food with me. If I go #out in the rough and don't follow the above I'll be back to being Burley Boy...literally. haven't burleyd for years now so I have to bring deckies. ;D

Found that untangling bait jigs while rolling on whitecaps doesn't help either...

Dug
11-06-2005, 12:58 PM
If you know a good doctor have a talk to them about stemitil.

Very good, prescription only and may cause interesting side effects ( they may cause some people to have fits) so try them on shore and near medical help, before getting into a boat!!!!!

Tim pain is natures way of saying you need drugs!

You are better to take a pill to reduce inflammation (like headaches) than leave them go on to cause damage.

Drugs are good, it is their misuse that is bad.

Zeeke
11-06-2005, 01:08 PM
i dont get headaches very often.. so ill keep on with my lil anti-drugs thingy...

Burley.. no Milk products?? damnit.. i like having a big glass of milo before fishing.. keeps you going when your working.. resting or playing.. or is that Mars bars?

Tim

chemmy
11-06-2005, 01:10 PM
screw the pill just go for a quick dip in the drink and it'll go away the key is to not think about it

chemmy
11-06-2005, 01:11 PM
unless you are up north then take kwells ;D ;D ;D