PDA

View Full Version : garbage on the beach and rocks

wiseguy67
15-06-2005, 07:31 AM
I have noticed over the last 15 yrs an alarming increase in the amount of garbage that is left behind by fishos and beach goers alike.
Its easy to identify the bait bags and lengths of discarded line being fishos doing. Why have so many people no respect for the place we all enjoy.
The breakwall in iluka is a prime example of disrespect as the hot spots to fish have garbage crammed inbetween the rocks as well as left blowing in the wind....
I used to clean it up thinking i was doing good but now if i want to keep picking up after others i would need to carry large bags with me.
Is the any way to educate the masses? When i see mostly younger people on the beach after they leave they have left their mark. Its too bad.

Mick
15-06-2005, 09:35 AM
If the area is consistantly getting worse, get on to the Council and ask if they can put signs up and ask the Council officers to do more regular patrols of the area. Or, is there a way Council can limit access into the area, for example, blocking off the area to vehicles so that only pedestrians can walk into the area. This should work because lazy people litter and people who choose to walk to there fishing spot instead of drive are not lazy.
You could also write to your local paper or get bins placed in the area if there arn't any already. Always lead by example, especially around the fishing community and even if it seems unwinnable.
Good luck, there's plenty you can do if you realy want to.

Mick

DNO40
15-06-2005, 01:30 PM
My pet hate is other people's discarded rubbish. I am always bringing home / to the ramp other fisho's rubbish.

I make it a personal point to let those that discard rubbish from their boat know it if I see them.

They gey not only their rubbish back but a good verbal abusing!

Nothing p#$ses me off more than litterbugs....obviously no respect for the environment and or waterways and marine life....Just don't get me started!