PDA

View Full Version : MIGALOO IS BACK

Derek Bullock
14-06-2005, 02:29 PM
He is back and should be off our coast in a few days. The following from the news.

Derek

White whale spotted off coast

June 13, 2005

WHALE watchers off the New South Wales mid-north coast were "blessed" to catch a glimpse of a rare albino humpback whale today.

The whale, known as Migaloo, passed by Port Macquarie this morning as it migrated to warmer waters in the Whitsundays, off the north Queensland coast.

Carol Hunt, who runs a Port Macquarie charter boat company, said it was the first time Migaloo had been sighted off that part of the coast.

"He was sighted in Sydney at four o'clock on Friday and I've been tracking him since," Ms Hunt said.

"We watched him for about an hour and a half. He was heading north to Coffs Harbour.

"He had three other whales with him and they were quite active. They were rolling over and slapping their fins."

Ms Hunt said the whales were about a mile (1.6km) offshore, delighting those on board with their antics.

"Everybody on the boat was just beside themselves," she said.

"We are blessed to see this. It is just a million to one chance.

"It was just magic – we were very, very lucky."

Ms Hunt said Migaloo was travelling to the Whitsundays to mate.

"He had other whales with him, so his mate might be among them," she said.

"He may very well be taking a mate with him that might be pregnant.

"He'll stay up in the Whitsundays and hopefully when he comes back he might come into Port Macquarie again on his southern migration."

Named Migaloo, or white fella, by an Aboriginal elder in Hervey Bay, the whale is believed to be the only one of its kind in the world.

It is expected to pass the coast of Coffs Harbour tomorrow.

redspeckle
14-06-2005, 03:52 PM
Derek
MIGALOO could be the last white whale we every see again after this season, the japs want to kill 10 whale's a year for
scientific purpose's i think they just want just an exuse so they can eat them
I hope Migaloo is smart and stays in Australian water's out in International waters they whales won't be protected the japs have a field day out there they say ten but how many in reality they get ???
I know the haven't pass it yet to allow whaleing again but i hope the other world nations protest against it
Mitch

raefpud
14-06-2005, 09:08 PM
mmmmmmm - white whale sushi ;D :-X

hahahaha - nah just kidding

RobSee
14-06-2005, 09:13 PM
you can rest assured that this will keep fisheries officers occupied until Migaloo is out of shark net range.

Just think of the press that would get if he got caught up in any of the nets!

slugo
15-06-2005, 03:12 AM
yeh derek just read the article in todays paper I missed Migaloo cruising pass this year but most days I see between 2-10 whales off stocton beach splashing around.
there is also a comic in the paper that reads...

The JAPS new experiment is to see if white whale should be served with white wine.. :'(

cheers
Len

Mick
15-06-2005, 05:48 AM
Run Migaloo Run (said in the voice from the young girl from Forrest Gump)!

finding_time
15-06-2005, 08:24 AM
mmmmmmm - white whale sushi ;D :-X

I disagree lightly barbecued medium rare , side order of chips,and a nice margret river white. ;D ;D

Derek Bullock
15-06-2005, 02:20 PM
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

You want fries with that.

:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Sportfish_5
15-06-2005, 06:58 PM
Supersize me ;D ;D

Pwoida
16-06-2005, 12:36 PM
What does Migaloo mean anyway? Why can't the whale just be called 'Bob' or 'Kylie'?

Derek Bullock
16-06-2005, 02:27 PM
Named Migaloo, or white fella, by an Aboriginal elder in Hervey Bay, the whale is believed to be the only one of its kind in the world

There it is.

Derek

magicpudding
16-06-2005, 02:27 PM
from www.migaloo.org,

The name "Migaloo":
After observing the white whale in 1992, Pacific Whale Foundation's Dr. Paul Forestell contacted a couple of local Aboriginal people -- one a tradesman and the other a teacher -- asking them whether an albino whale might have any significance in their culture, and whether they could suggest a name. The tradesman spoke with an aunt of his, a revered aboriginal elder, and she suggested the name 'Migaloo' - which means "white fellah."

"The teacher told me that she believed albinos (whether humans, kangaroos, or crocodiles) were considered by Aboriginals to be special beings, perhaps signs or tokens from the spirit world," recalls Dr. Forestell.

cj

propdinger
17-06-2005, 12:46 PM
migaloo will be on channel 10news for anyone wanting to see a great white that doesnt have big teeth ::)

freespool
18-06-2005, 03:49 AM
went past the gold coast yesterday, wouldnt take a bait....