PDA

View Full Version : fishing cape york

mr_Z
02-06-2005, 04:29 PM
hi guys,

i'm only just starting to get into fishing and will be up around cape york next month.

i'm just after a few pointers on what rod/s to take, lures, hooks etc bait?

would appreciate any advice

thanks [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Dignity
03-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Mr_Z, probably need to be a bit more specific on where you are going etc. If you are taking a boat along get some maps from GRMPA as a lot of the foreshores are green areas. #If you ring them or send them an email they will send you the maps of the areas you wish to visit in a neat zipy #plastic folder - all for free. # Initially you should ask for the Introductory Guide for Far Northern - this covers the Tip to Cape Melville, #the detailed maps for that area are MPZ1 -3, Cape Melvile is MPZ4 and Cooktown is MPZ5.

Chhers Sam

Richo1
04-06-2005, 03:43 AM
Hi mr-z,

I usually use a medium strength rod with 15-20lb line. For lures you can't go without a few Gold Bombers, and some Mann's stretch 10+. Surface Poppers are also a must, plenty of trevally and Queenfish right off the Tip of Cape York! ;D Here is a photo of my favourite Far North fish catcher. For bait fishing where possible use live bait, prawns herring or mullet, use a 30-50lb mono leader with 3/0 to 6/0 suicide hooks(to fit the bait size) and as little weight as possible. Most live bait will cast fine without them. Avoid fishing with big chuncky rigs, make them as 'life like' as you can. You will find that your average estuary rod will work fine in most places.
Jacks and Barra most of the time, sit in and around the snags so cast the Lure/bait as close as you can to the structure. If you don't hook a few snags from time to time your not fishing close enough!
Hope that helps.

Richo

Richo1
04-06-2005, 03:51 AM
Gold Bomber-Fingermark

mr_Z
06-06-2005, 01:47 PM
hi guys,

thanks for the advice, is there anywhere online i can buy these lures?

i'll be moving around a bit while i'm up there cooktown-weipa then up to the tip. i wont have a boat but am hoping to hire one, so i'll be fishing rivers, off piers etc

hopefully i'll have some luck

Derek Bullock
06-06-2005, 02:50 PM
Mr Z

Check out the large range of lures available here at Ausfish. http://www.ausfish.com.au/tshop.shtml

Cheers

Derek

mr_Z
16-06-2005, 03:38 PM
ok guys,

i've got my new rod a 6ft graphite(heavy), with a shimano bantam curado 200 baitcaster reel

lures i bought a few gold bombers, plus a couple of other types, one has red and white colouring will this work?

i also bought a couple of surface poppers, what colours worl best? are this poppers more suited to piers/beach work? around rocks?

thanks for the help, i cant wait to reel a few in

mr_Z
18-06-2005, 12:52 PM
also how should i go about catching live bait?

thanks

Richo1
18-06-2005, 02:09 PM
A Cast net is the best way for catching bait, also bait jigs will come in handy on jetties etc. With the poppers, most colours will work in a variety of sizes. Red and white is a favourite for me. Poppers will work just about anywhere, try and match the size to any bait that might be in the area.
Cheers

Dignity
19-06-2005, 08:25 AM
Also try some of those 4" soft plastic shads - Storm brand or similar - found they work well on queenies especially once they stop hitting the poppers - best colour I found was the green/chartreuse - the lighter greens not the real dark ones, but then again anything goes when fishing.