PDA

View Full Version : Boat Ramp wharfs and Pontoons

SharkBait
15-06-2005, 05:49 PM
Hi all,
This is just something I have often wondered and I guess have in some instances been unsure of whom is right or wrong. Maybe its a bit like who came first the chicken or the egg but hey here is my two cents. My question or statement is relating to Boat ramps and the protocol in regards to access and egress to pontoons or wharfs from your boat.
Most ramps have a wharf right beside them and some of the gucci ones have a floating pontoon. These are normally fitted with fenders and bollards to tie your boat to so you can get from land to shore and vice versa.
In summary I guess thats what these items are there for? However why is it that there seems to be allways land based fisher persons on these piers and pontoons right where you are meant to pick up and drop off people?
I understand that land based fishos need quality fishing spots however shouldnt the pontoon or ramp area be primarily used for what it is designed for?
An example in point of what I mean is the Ramp at Deep Water Bend on the Pine River. The ramp is single lane rocks either side, there is no access to a boat after launching except from the purpose build floating pontoon. Yet why is that said pontoon normally covered in fishos and cast netters? Why do they look at you like you have committed a capital offence when you very politely and carefull nudge up to the pontoon to pick up your crew whom have been parking the car? Another in my area similar is scarborough, one just has to look like tying to a bollard there and the land based fisho's are frowning.
I realise that we all have the same goal and outcome and I am allways curteous - have never ran over a line or impeded directly in someones fishing however i thought I better check the protol here as the looks I get suggest that the pontoons and wharfs are the domain of fishos not boats :-/
Just wondering? ???
Norm

adrian
16-06-2005, 03:45 AM
most of the pontoons have signs that say that boats have the right of way and that the fisho's must give the boats right of way. that is if the hoons haven't removed them . fishing from them isn't a no no but they have to obey the that the boats must be allowed to tie up to them.

Pwoida
16-06-2005, 05:39 AM
There just seems to be a lack of common courtesy amongst some people. Imagine the mentality of someone who beleives that a pontoon next to a boat ramp was put there for fishing off and not for boats? I think anyone with an once of common sense would realise that pontoons/jettys are for boats and if a boat needs to use it, they should make way, and pull in their lines.
If they give you any crap about it, then they are doing it not out of ignorance but out of selfishness.

If it were me I would tilt my motor to just under the surface and give them a spray as I'm leaving! "Oops, sorry about that, having some trouble with my outboard". Well thats what I'd like to do, I'm not very antagonistic.

straddie
16-06-2005, 06:47 AM
Hahaha, surprise, surprise, someone thinking they OWN something they haven't paid for and not willing to yeild to some Johny come lately, never heard of that before. ::)
I think in this case the "I was here first" rule applies.

Not only are you scaring away the few greasies and bait fish they may have been chasing with their cast nets but the line fisherman know their chances of catching that just legal bream have gone down the gurgler with your approach. Hell you don't care, you are about to go and have heaps of fun in your smiffy boat and probably catch 50 big snapper that they can't hope to possibly get, as soon as you finish stuffing up their fun.
You expect to be greeted with open arms?

But I agree it's got to be stopped, next thing you know there will be anarchy, and you will have everyone doing what they want. Boats tying up to beacons or going inside marinas casting plastics that get caught on the lines of purposely built moorings or fishing beside or under wharves purposely built for shipping.

Others thinking they can anchor their tinnies in the middle of narrow channels then abusing larger craft that don't keep their 30 metres distance from them. See I know the rules, and no one OWNS the water do they................

OK I have taken my meds ;D so now seriously, you are doing the right thing and should continue to do as you have been, give them a chance to clear their lines and pick up your crew with a minimum of fuss. Ignore the looks, if you put yourself in their shoes you would probably be looking at a boaty the same way.

Cut them a little slack as most times its only kids that don't even have half a clue and are doing it tough just to catch a legal fish.

Pwoida
16-06-2005, 07:41 AM
Straddie,
Having been land based for quite a few years I can see where you're coming from with that, but I can't agree fully with all of it. I think its similar to kids playing cricket in the street. When a car comes, they up stumps and move to the side, sure it interupts their game, but they know that it's the domain of the car. The driver of the car doesn't own the street any more than the kids do, but the street was put their for cars and the footpath was put there for pedestrians. One day those kids will be driving down the street interupting games of cricket.
As for people who are fortunate to own a boat, well you cant blame someone for owning a boat and wanting to use the facilities that were put there for boats.
If you're land based for whatever reason and you absolutely have to fish off a pontoon or jetty, then you just have to have the understanding that you may be interupted.
Peter.

straddie
16-06-2005, 08:49 AM
Hi Peter, mine was a gentle half dig, half tongue in cheek /bad humour post directed at no one in particular. I see and hear a lot of people grumble about little things that really don't matter and argue rules is rules but then throw in "yeah buts" when a similar thing is against them.

They know all the rules and want them enforced when it suits them, but expect a blind eye if it is them breaking the rules. Usually its these guys that start a sh*t fight because they had to wait 10 seconds for the kids to pull their lines in and shout eg "get out of the way you little pr*cks, you aren't supposed to be on here anyway" then slip away leaving the next poor SOB to deal with the consequences.

Antagonising people especially kids usually has a worsening effect, you can be pretty sure they will know what car dropped that boat off and when the boat is out of site...revenge.

If you are using a ramp regularly, and they are local kids (most are) talk to them, ask them if anything is biting, give them suggestions, if you have had a big day and have an esky full offer them one of your small fish, or some of your old pillies that are only going to be burley next time out for you. Tell them about the deep hole just around the corner that holds some big flathead that are just waiting to swallow one of those limp old pillies you have just given them.

You might find the next time down there they might hold your boat off the pontoon for you, or have their lines out of the way well before you even get close.

That said there are also germs that aren't going to ever learn, but the majority will. Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire, but most times water is much more effective ;)

Barrymundi
16-06-2005, 09:14 AM
thinks yourself lucky to have a pontoon.

Somethings around Townsville we lack.

Al

Pwoida
16-06-2005, 10:06 AM
Fair enough Straddie, I was really only referring to the 'germs' anyway. Like you say, most people will do the right thing by each other but there will always be those who just dont get it.

JB
16-06-2005, 11:18 AM
If your a land based fisho (which i used to be ), why would u pick a pontoon to fish off where 200 boats will visit during the day anyway?? Blind freddy can pick a better land based spot!! Pontoons beside boat ramps are IMO primarly for boaties, and thus boaties should get right of way. Nothin worse than trying to pull your boat up at a pontoon that has 400 fishing lines everywhere.

And straddie as far as your comment about everyone catchin 50 snapper, mate thats just BS. Not everyone fishes outside, and not everyone is a star fisho.

Jas

roz
16-06-2005, 12:28 PM
Well Norm, you've just put into words what has crossed my mind more that a few times. Down here you have two choices, tie up at the pontoon while you run up and get the trailer or tie up near the rocks.

I think it simply boils down to common curtesy and..... you either have it or you don't, now with some kids, you might have to point out the bleeding obvious before the penny drops.

Yep, I think pontoons are for boats first, fair go here... there are countless places to wet a line!

There will always be the meat head who doesn't give a rats, what about the land based fisho's who don't bother to wind in their lines when you are trying to cross a river bar and you end up with their line wrapped around your prop, Kingscliff was a good place for that.

I feel better now.

Roz

Lucky_Phill
16-06-2005, 12:44 PM
An certain chap( ::) ) talked about this very subject on the air waves a few months ago. I received a good response to the idea of " Boat Ramp Protocol ". although this discussion was based around dedicated boat ramps, and not the attached peripherials ( that's for you Kris ) ;).

Yes, the one thing that is NOT taught in our schools, and in most cases ( it seems ) by the parents of today is.... Common Sense & Manners . >:(

In the majority of cases when you can approach a boat ramp/ pontoon and others occupy it, a courteous word in the right direction can almost always bring a positive result. If this does not, then a slightly firmer re-enforcement of what you are trying to do and what the ' occupier ' should do, can achieve the desired result.

Saying that, I have no time at all for Jetski "meatheads " ( think someone else mentioned that word ), and their total ignorance of all things ' protocol '. There are those among us who do derive a ' experience " from riding/ driving these machines, and I have no gripe with those that persue their leisures in accordance to the ' waterway protocol ". ::)

I sincerely believe that the majority of " meatheads " are really not aware that they are ' meatheads ", it is a plain fact that they actually think they are doing the right thing, or that no-one else needs to be considered when they hit the water.

As in all " manners based behaviour ", do what you consider is the right thing, and you will sleep well.

And please, if some one is obviously in need of assistance, either manual or mental, at the ramp, offer your servives with a smile, ya never know, that may just rub off. ( yeah right ! )

cheers

Phill ( Captain of the Boat Ramp Protocol ) ;D ;)

SharkBait
16-06-2005, 03:41 PM
Guys and Gals,
What can I say, I think most people here are thinking alomg the same lines. Maybe some common curtesy and love thy nieghbour mixed with understanding re the pontoons and wharfs major use (boat acess and egress) will ensure we can live in harmony. Though as eluded to there is allways good and bad in both sides ( though I firmly believe I make every effort to ensure I never hinder a fellow fisho - though still get the green / dirty eye). The points about kids and communictation is valid though I must admit most of my issues have been with thinking mature adults.
I have had many a stranger in my boat be it a 15yo friend of my son or a bloke I have met at the ramp , allways a seat on offer.
It is heartening to see so many people who do feel similar - I can see both sides - hear is hoping we can all enjoy our waterways whilst leaving a little space for boats on our pontoons etc.
On a lighter note heres a pic or two of some guy at 4 Beacons - Moreton Bay - Sunday night whom nearly forgot to give way to a big boy! This guy was drifting in the channel and I estimate he was past by the big fella at a distance of 30 - 40 metres. Food for thought! :o
Cheers

-spiro-
16-06-2005, 06:28 PM
That pontoon at Kawana is a pain in the arse sometimes. They see you getting ready to pull up then they throw their lines right in front of you. There is a sign at the top of the pontoon stateing no fishing. May be it needs to be put in brail, so the blind can read it?

jaybee
16-06-2005, 06:46 PM
Mooloolaba north side of the river, is a prime example, many a time at 3.30 am i have been told in not so polite terms to not bring the boat to pick up my crew, "as we are fishing" :( well what do you do risk picking their lines up in ya prop, no not me, i go to the back of the pontoon, :) leaving i like to squirt the motor to make sure all is well, damn shame the fishos cant stand up and get wet though, gee the joys of pontoon fishing. :)
cheers
Joe.

Bearded_Clam
17-06-2005, 04:11 AM
most kids i find are usually keen to help you tie off and bombard you with a million and one questions and are usually quite impressed with a decent bin of fishies. I often give them some bait and a fish and they are genuinely rapped. And the look on their faces is priceless. { ::)and then comes the umteenth lecture on keeping undersize bream ::)}. I can just see them trying to B.S dad they nailed this pearly in the river. :D
And given my usual decky is 110 kg bag of tattooed maori ballast {quite a site on the bow as we approach Im sure}, I rarely have problems with 'germs'. ;D

saphire
21-06-2005, 03:53 PM
Hello Sharkbait,
Just keep using the pontoons politely.
Dont worry. Its OK.
You cant please all of the people all of the time.
Just smile and say howdy and you cant go wrong.:)
Keep enjoying the great outdoors.
All the best,
saphire [smiley=balloon3.gif]