PDA

View Full Version : Survey shows fewer fishers

gif
19-06-2005, 09:56 AM
Primary Industries & Fisheries
The Hon. Henry Palaszczuk MP
17 June 2005

Survey shows fewer fishers but smarter fishing

Queensland is still a fisher's paradise despite the fact that fewer people are throwing in a line regularly, Primary Industries and Fisheries Minister Henry Palaszczuk said today.

A State-wide recreational fishing telephone survey, conducted by the Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries (DPI&F), also showed that anglers are fishing smarter when they take to the waters by targeting particular species.

Mr Palaszczuk said that the number of people who had fished at some stage in their lives prior to the 12 month survey period had reached just over 50 per cent of the Queensland population or 1.8 million residents.

"The survey showed that 20.6 per cent of the Queensland population - about 733,000 people - over the age of five had been fishing in the 12 months survey period," Mr Palaszczuk said.

"This is a decrease of about 117,000 fishers when compared to the 2001 survey results which showed that 24.6 per cent of the Queensland population - about 850,000 people - over the age of five had been fishing in the previous 12 months. The age group that had the largest decline in participation numbers was the 20 - 29 year olds.

"The decrease in fishing participation in Queensland reflects trends in other countries that show fewer people are fishing recreationally."

Mr Palaszczuk said while the current survey was not designed to examine why people had chosen not to fish, the DPI&F was preparing to conduct a follow-up survey which would explore the reasons why fishing's popularity had decreased.

"We are extremely keen to find out why Queenslanders are and are not fishing so that we can make better informed decisions about fisheries management arrangements for the future," Mr Palaszczuk said.

Mr Palaszczuk said Queensland anglers were also fishing smarter with an increased proportion of those who fish targeting particular species.

"In freshwater areas the top three targeted species were golden perch/yellowbelly, barramundi and Australian bass. As for saltwater areas, whiting, flathead and mud crabs topped the list," he said.

"The split between anglers aged 15 years and older who fish in saltwater versus those who fish in freshwater is similar to previous surveys. More than 380,000 anglers fish in saltwater only, just over 43,000 fish in freshwater only, and nearly 125,000 fish in both."

According to the survey, the fishing activities of anglers aged 15 and older are similar to previous surveys with the average number of days fished in the year standing at 17.

"This equates to 9.4 million fishing days in Queensland in total, down from 11.1 million days in 2001. In the previous 12 months, about 1.3 million days were fished in freshwater - a decrease of 23 per cent - while 8.6 million were fished in saltwater," Mr Palaszczuk said.

"The significant decrease in the amount of freshwater fishing is believed to be attributed to prolonged drought conditions throughout many parts of the State."

"According to the survey, the Darling Downs was the most popular freshwater fishing area; the Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast were popular saltwater fishing spots, while Brisbane and the Wide-Bay Burnett area were popular for both saltwater and freshwater fishing."

Mr Palaszczuk said more than 94 per cent of anglers fished for recreation while more than a third fished for food.

"As for the type of people who fish, five to 14 year olds make up the biggest group of anglers while the survey showed that those 60 years or older spent the most time fishing," Mr Palaszczuk said.

"The proportion of fishing households that own a boat has also increased by 3 per cent since 2001 according to the survey and more than 369,000 people have been saltwater fishing from a boat in the past 12 months."

As part of the DPI&F's 2005 Recreational Fishing Information System (RFISH) survey, 5000 fishing enthusiasts throughout the State are recording their activities, including catches and fishing-related expenditure, for 12 months in a specially designed diary.

"While people love to tell stories about their fishing trips and the one that got away, we are encouraging those who have agreed to take part in the diary survey to give us an accurate account of their recreational fishing activities," Mr Palaszczuk said.

"The information collected will help to build a better picture of the average Queensland angler such as how often they fish, where they fish, and what they fish for.

"The information will also provide more of an insight into the size of the current recreational catch in Queensland which is particularly useful when developing and reviewing recreational fisheries management arrangements.

"Other information such as how much anglers spend on bait, fishing equipment and fuel to travel to their fishing spots will highlight the economic importance of recreational fishing in the State."

Media contact: John Algate 3239 3004 or 0418 197 350

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
20-06-2005, 04:10 PM
Less people fishing? ??? I think the minister must be smoking his office curtains.

Mad_Barry
21-06-2005, 09:42 AM
Doesn't suprise me, with all the changes to rules/regs/bag limits/greenzones/yellowzones/brownzones/bluezones/and who knows zones, a lot of 'casual' fisher folk have just put it in the too hard basket.

joeT
21-06-2005, 11:59 AM
You'll find for the 'casual' fisherperson who doesn't have a boat, it is getting really hard to actually catch anything worthwhile. So its not surprising that numbers have dwindled.

When I was a kid (just 10-15 years ago) there were heaps of fish to be had at places like Redcliffe and Fisherman's Island landbased, just soaking the stinky old prawns. Now, you'd be hard pressed to catch anything that way.

gif
21-06-2005, 01:07 PM
I have only got my hands on some of the raw data this afternoon.

So far it looks like the biggest fall of is in the 20 to 29 year age group.

And geographically in MAckay Townsville and Cairns Districts where the fall is more than 10%

Cairns went from 32.5% to 18.8% partcipation ( fished once in the last 12 months)

So my initial hypothesis is

1 GBRMPA

2. Competition from other activities and the Green political effect

more later when I get to crunch the data

Gary

BigE
21-06-2005, 05:36 PM
or maybe some fisherpeople (like me) have been screwed so much with all those surveys(to help us out at the boat ramp) that we said........ SURVEY SAYS.... stick your survey up your arse mate!!!! the next DPI bloke who wants to find out how where & why i catch my fish so he plan the next closure may just find out why that bit of wood in every fishermans boat is called the priest.

kc
22-06-2005, 07:30 AM
Will there be a bag limit on DPI survey guys??

Interesting data and consistent with anecdotal evidence coming out of Cairns. Participation rate has fallen dramatically, as has expenditure on fishing related businesses.

KC

Mick
22-06-2005, 12:14 PM
Bag limits on DPI suveys! LOL

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
22-06-2005, 03:54 PM
Well said Big E. ;)

Dave

Gazza
22-06-2005, 04:14 PM
INCREASE Baglimits & decrease sizelimits

More fish ,less people.. ;D :D :D :D

fish2eat
23-06-2005, 06:28 AM
I'm always wary of "surveys" as you never know who did them, how big the sample size was etc etc. I'm also sceptical because these "surveys" are often used as the basis for diverting resources. We who use boats are just astounded by the growth in traffic on the water, and while rude p$%cks in sportscruisers don't seem to fish, there are still huge numbers on the water, especially on weekends.

I'm waiting for the announcement that the DPI is being downsized and policing of undersize catches etc will suffer. ???