PDA

View Full Version : Grinners

Big_Pete
22-06-2005, 12:56 PM
Aah...so many grinners and what to do with them? I have been doing a little research on the 'net and from what my abused brain can surmise it appears that the much hated grinner is a close relative of the Indian (Not the red type) Bombay Duck.
This fish is salted and air dried and is a prized ingredient in the asian cuisine, so perhaps the grinner does have a use after all.
Next time I catch a grinner or two, if I am feeling adventurous I just might give them a bit of curry, so to speak just to see how it turns out.

When I get desperate enough I will post the result, good, bad, or just yuk....

cjbfisher
22-06-2005, 01:40 PM
Good luck to you. You're a braver man than I.
If only I could work out how to make a buck from them, I'd be able to retire.
Chris

Fishinmishin
22-06-2005, 05:44 PM
Crabpot bait...........smelly bastards ;D.

freespool
22-06-2005, 06:36 PM
been eating them for years, they r tops, but have a lot of small bones like a birds rib cage, the flesh is translucent white and better than more well known table fish, just have to try different things to work it out.....
i can remember when slimies were thought to be rubbish too !!!

aquarius
22-06-2005, 07:21 PM
A MATE HAS A MINCER ON THE BACK OF HIS BOAT AND IN THEY GO AND YEP OUT COMES THE BERLEY TRAIL..LOL
Cheers Brent

Fishinmishin
22-06-2005, 09:16 PM
Slimies.....slimey mackeral.....eating ??? :P.

jugs
23-06-2005, 04:04 AM
Apparently the asians mince them up (bones and all) and make fish cakes out of them, which are supposed to be quite tasty ??? ???

The cats turn their nose up, but when the dogs hear the boat arriving home, they get really excited.............so we primarily use them as dog food.
Not using the dogs taste buds as recommendation, as they enjoy grazing in the cat litter box ??? ???

We have tried them as crab bait, but even the crabs dont seem interested [smiley=stunned.gif]

The mincer and the burley trail seems like a great idea. Are the fish really interested in it though? I would be interested to know.

mal-laurie
23-06-2005, 04:31 AM
i put a mincer on my boat for the same purpose and took it off as soon as i got home from the first trip.
the reason...... that day i got the record for grinner catching...20 in one session.i recon i jinxed the boat by haveing it on board.
so no more grinner mincing for me.

cheers mal

bidkev
23-06-2005, 11:54 AM
<snip>
Are the fish really interested in it though? I would be interested to know.

Mackerel love 'em. Apparently the increase in the grinner population is attributable to the decline in mackerel stocks. With the decrease in ring netting and subsequent (hopefully) increase in mackerel, the grinners should decline.

I've known grinner baits outfish everyone else in the boat (7 of us) and a strip of squid sandwiched between two strips of grinner is my favoured baits for big shovellies.

The deckie rates 'em second only to catties for flavour :-/...........that speaks volumes dunnit? ;D

cheers

The Verminator

skippa
23-06-2005, 12:35 PM
Geez Kev,

Your deckie never ceases to amaze me ;D

Cheers,
Tony 8)

roz
23-06-2005, 01:50 PM
I've towed a grinner (actually it was last summer) when the mackeral were around.... surprise! surprise! It caught me a good mackeral.

Also very easy to rigg/swim....well, compared to bonito and maktuna.

roz

Just_chips
23-06-2005, 02:46 PM
Take one whole grinner wrapped in aluminium foil and add salt and pepper, zest of lemon and/or lime and squeeze juice onto fish, 1/2 clove of crushed garlic, 1/2cup of white wine, finely dice some tomato and onion and stuff into gut cavity.

Bake at 180c for about 45mins-1hour before throwing away all remnants of fish and eating the foil with fresh chips.

bon apetit

Dignity
23-06-2005, 05:22 PM
tried using them as flesh bait but usually no go - caught the beggars up to 3 feet long at times but do know of people that swear by them as a good bait for some of bigger pelagics eg marlin

bidkev
24-06-2005, 05:31 AM
Geez Kev,

Your deckie never ceases to amaze me #;D

Cheers,
Tony # #8)

;D Me too.......she turned her nose up at this and said it was nowhere near as tasty as stingy ???

cheers

kev