PDA

View Full Version : Coral Reef Species and Take home limits

Black_Rat
23-06-2005, 12:26 PM
Hi all,

Below is an extract from the DPI web site, if what I read is correct each individual on our Swains trip will only be able to take home 20 reef species in total for the week less what we consume on board and this is more than enough for each person on the trip to take home. Is there different set of rules for extended charters offshore #? :-/ Can charter boats fillet fish at sea and freeze to save on room ? Found it ::) for coral fin species
may possess on board a boat a fillet of a fish other than a Chinese footballer (blue spot) trout as long as the length of the fillet is at least 40cm, and skin and scales are attached to the fillet;
I guess the just over leagal fish will have to be kept whole :-/

Damo.

Coral reef fin fish
The following legal limits apply to fish taken in tidal areas in Queensland.

A take and possession limit is the total number of fish a person may take or possess at any one time. It does not apply on a per day basis.

Coral reef fin fish species incorporate all coral trout, emperors, cods and gropers, parrot fishes, surgeon fishes and sweetlips, tropical snappers, sea perches, fusiliers, banana fishes and wrasses. See complete list of coral reef fish species referred to in Schedule 2 of the Fisheries (Coral Reef Fin Fish) Management Plan 2003 (copies of legislation are available on the Office of the Queensland Parliamentary Counsel website).

In addition to individual take and possession limits for each species below, all coral reef fin fish species have a combined take and possession limit of 20.

Lucky_Phill
23-06-2005, 01:14 PM
This subject has been covered here many times.

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/11416.html#limits

explains much of it here, and looking further will help.

But, on an extended charter, each individual is allowed extra than the norm. Your skipper will now this, and they do keep records.

The link is worth a look as it is a good read.

Cheers Phill

Derek Bullock
23-06-2005, 01:35 PM
The following extract is from the Fisheries (Coral Reef Fin Fish)
Management Plan 2003 that can be found at http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/F/FisherCRFFMP03.pdf

10 Exemption for recreational fishers on particular
commercial fishing tours

Despite section 9(3), a recreational fisher on a commercial
fishing tour conducted for an uninterrupted period of 72 hours
or more may—
(a) on or after the 4th day of the tour—
(i) take not more than twice the number stated for a species, or group of species, of coral reef fin fish mentioned in schedule 4, part 1; and
(ii) possess not more than twice the number stated for the species, or group of species, of coral reef fin fish if the fish were taken during the tour; or
(b) on or after the 4th day, but before the 8th day, of the tour—possess a combined total of not more than 40 coral reef fin fish of any species if the fish were taken during the tour; or
(c) on or after the 8th day of the tour—possess a combined total of not more than 60 coral reef fin fish of any species if the fish were taken during the tour.

Daintreeboy
23-06-2005, 03:56 PM
Not happy with that. What if I go on a week long rec trip. I can't keep more than my 20. Yet a rec fisher who's paying on a charter can? Double standard if you ask me.
Cheers, Mark.

NQCairns
23-06-2005, 06:02 PM
Yep I agree Mark "show me the money"!!

Black_Rat
24-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Cheers Derek [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
Thats what I was after.
Were not looking rape and pillage everything in sight but would like a decent feed for myself and the family cosidering the $$ being outlaid ;)

Damo

Daintreeboy
24-06-2005, 07:29 PM
that's ok mate , no dramas, it's just the rule that I find strange. After all whether you're on a charter boat or not, you're still rec fishing. Have a great trip, it'll be awesome out there.
Cheers, Mark.

Black_Rat
25-06-2005, 05:08 AM
Will do, cheers Mark :)
Damo

Black_Rat
25-06-2005, 10:24 AM
Righto finished work, i'm off to pack ;D will hopefully have some photos for you all come July 4 keep an eye out for the "Swains Bonanza !" to be posted in the Fishing reports section ;)
Horoo
Damo 8)

PS: will be thinking of you all :P ;D