PDA

View Full Version : how to salt fish

squidgiepalmer
29-06-2005, 02:56 PM
Guy's just a quicky how do you salt fish for bait never done it before and i am getting some mullet for bait for my son's that are coming up from Newcastle to fish the Evans Head Classic, mullet at the moment is $10 for 12kg so i have a bit to salting down to do don't know how much to use or what type of salt to use any help will be appeciated when i was a bait fisherman i always use fresh so this is new to me a pic on how to do it would be great
cheers squidgie

Razza
29-06-2005, 03:11 PM
Butchers salt Coarse lay the fillets on a rack cover them in salt leave them for 24hrs brush off the excess salt and pack them away
Best to leave it till no more moisture is dripping
Razza

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
29-06-2005, 03:23 PM
I'm with Razza on this. Lay them on a wire tray or something similar so the juices can drip away from the fillet. After 24 hrs as Razza says, pack them away. I wrap mine up in newspaper and store them away from the sunlight. I also learnt from experience not to leave them on the tray where birds can come and pinch them. >:( When you're ready to use them, cut them into strips or however you want to present the bait. You will find that they are a lot tougher for fish to get off the hook. :) Excellent bait and keeps for a very long time. :D

All the best
Dave

szopen
29-06-2005, 03:25 PM
It depends a lot on how going to keep them after salting.
General idea is 5% salt to weight if you going to keep them in the fridge and 20% if in ambient conditions.

Punkin
30-06-2005, 12:30 AM
Pool salt is cheapest ;)

squidgiepalmer
30-06-2005, 03:33 AM
thanks guys getting mullet tomorrow store in freezer till Classic my son's thank you.
cheers squidgie

szopen
30-06-2005, 06:06 AM
If you are going to store them in the freezer why salt at all?

If only to get them a bit tougher use 3-5% salt, mix the salt with the fish, keep cool for a couple of hours, drain the liquid than put in the freezer.

gunna
30-06-2005, 06:20 AM
When I salt pillies or slimies I use a large basin and line it with newspaper. A layer of pool salt, then alternate a layer of fish then a layer of salt until full. Leave it overnight then pack the fish into freezer bags. The newspaper then gets minced up into my next batch of minced berley.

SURF_SNIPER
30-06-2005, 02:27 PM
you can get the same if not better effect by placing them in the sun on a hessian bag and rotate the baits every half hour or so. no need to use salt. i wouldnt be doing this to mullet, its tough enough. i only dry or salt soft baits like bonito etc. better to just freeze the mullet or even better croyvac and store in the fridge fresh.

Drew