PDA

View Full Version : SOUTH PASSAGE CLAIMS ANOTHER !

rakinray
02-07-2005, 04:40 PM
G /day all seems that the s/ passage has claimed another victim, caught the news tonite and looked like the nth channel was where they rolled over, good to see that they were all plucked from the water safe but you have to ask the question what were they doing out there with a 3 mtr plus swell running all week ? Im a regular user of the passage and with that forecast and the big swell running all week i didnt even give it a second thought ! Have to wonder why we are getting so many rollin over in the past few months any thoughts ?

CHEERS RAY ;D

rakinray
02-07-2005, 04:46 PM
Pic of the passage on a good day !

The_Walrus
02-07-2005, 07:17 PM
Maybe too many people on the water with a boat license with little experience behind it.

Let's face it, do a course over the weekend, get your license on Monday and go and get a boat only limited by the depth of your pocket. Experience not required !!!

No one should have been out there unless you absolutely had to be and had the right rig.

Luc

Maria
03-07-2005, 05:02 AM
On a similar note, I've been doing the requirements lately in order to acquire a weapons licence for recreational shooting and hunting. The stupidty and ignorance exhibited by some people during the day long safety course is nothing short of scary considering these individuals will possess firearms in the not too distant future. [smiley=uhoh.gif]

bignick
03-07-2005, 04:41 PM
People see it on TV or read about it in a magazine and think it's all too easy. Probably either didn't think to check the weather or thought (foolishly!!) that they and their craft were better than the weather. It seems to be all too common lately where we get sub-standard crew aboard sub-standard boats trying to work miracles that are doomed to catastrophic failure. The only thing worse than their stupid actions is the fact that they also endanger the lives of the people who are charged with rescuing these fools; it's not hard to envisage a disaster that takes on greater proportions as it unfolds. Some of these people should really admit their own shortcomings and stick to jetty fishing; that way we all would be a lot safer and the world would be a better place.

Cheers,
NICK.

MEGA'bite
04-07-2005, 03:01 PM
Im with you Nick i dont cross it ,as i dont have the experience but one day i will.

Burley_Boy
04-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Plenty of people test a bar and come home feeling... shit that was pushing it a bit....People used to cross bars in canoes, some come unstuck ... bummer... others gain experience and come home feeling a heavy load in their dacks but learn heaps!
Live and let live!
You learn to ski or ride by falling off, you learn to boat by pushing it a bit, some fall off, horses get bitten by wasps, engines stop at the worst of times,
stay safe cheers BB. ;D

VP1
04-07-2005, 04:20 PM
"Bulldog", crosses Sth passage bar several times a week, experienced engine failure when crossing, would have logged on with either VMR Raby Bay or VMR Victoria Point via radio.
Has all equipment, bordering on semi-pro, conditions were sh!t to the extreme, he shouldnt have gone, he knows that, with experience can come complacency.
Once bitten, twice shy

youngfisho
06-07-2005, 07:53 AM
Yeah, I was surprised to see someone take on the sp bar with all that swell around. We went out on a charter on saturday through the gold coast seaway and there was a good 4-5 foot swell running. No breaking waves as it was the top of the tide but big enough. To the north however there was a wall of breaking waves which to the unsuspecting could have caught someone out. I watched in amazement at this 5m side console tinnie come out behind us jumping of the backs of these waves and crashing about 4 feet down. Felt safe in knowing I was In a 10m Norcat, with an experienced crew.

andrew

Brett_Hoskin
06-07-2005, 08:49 AM
Maybe too many people on the water with a boat license with little experience behind it.

Let's face it, do a course over the weekend, get your license on Monday and go and get a boat only limited by the depth of your pocket. Experience not required !!!

No one should have been out there unless you absolutely had to be and had the right rig.

Luc

I dont disagree with you but one only gains experience by making mistakes...

Education and risk identification is what is needed..

Billo
06-07-2005, 09:04 AM
No matter what you say or do , there is no way of stopping boats getting smashed on bars unless you take out bar crossing all together .

Even experienced drivers get caught out sometimes .

It is up to the individual to ensure they employ the safest tactics to cross and in the conditions they believe are safest .

No One can say there is a " Zero Risk " at bar crossing , where there is risk , there are odds ....and odds go against you at times .

I have crossed that bar around 30 odd times ....and only a handfull of those times did i consider it an ' easy ' crossing ....the rest of the time , my balls were in my throat ...but that is the risk i am taking to get to those grounds ....i acknowledge that , and if one day i come unstuck , i have no one to blame but myself for taking those risks .

Kiktz
06-07-2005, 09:15 AM
The south passage scares the sh1t out of me, I have been driving a boat now for over 15yrs and have done many trips out side off the goldy. But with all I THINK i know I willnot cross that bar unless she is fair near flat.

or you could say I just dont have the balls to put my nor my mates lives in danger.

banshee
06-07-2005, 09:37 AM
In my opinion Billo has hit the nail on the head,my thoughts exactly.

redspeckle
06-07-2005, 01:17 PM
I went out with Bill Corten on sat 2/0705 the Northern channel pressure waves were unbeliveable 2metres plus in height [smiley=stunned.gif] i a had full confidence in Bill it was like a washing machine there i was glad to be in his boat not my and glad get thorught the bar before the fog came over
We got thorugh it then when looking for the up turn boat it was pass the big sandhills on the beach fairway up could see was a aluimiunin boat( white in color) upside down with no motor on the back what would have been cab structure left was burried in the sand Bill inform Raby Bay Coast Guard where it was
After seeing & going thorough the south passage bar & up turn boat has left a permarent imprint on my brain ,it not worth you life and boat a fish you can always get them a another day
After get away from the bar big swell running drop little bit during that day wind drop out as well got on to some nice Peral Perch, Trag Jew and drop some big AJ's i am sworn to :-X where we when
and come home via amity channel like surf city caught the back of big wave followed it in
Mitch
GO QLD SMASH THE BLUES