PDA

View Full Version : Kids 'n' captures

SquareBear
04-07-2005, 03:18 PM
G'Day all!

In the past, I have raised my eye-brows at a few photos that seem to have 'stretched the truth a little'. (For example, photo of a 6yo lad with a 20+kg Kingy he 'hooked and landed himself'). ??? ??? ??? Did anyone else find this unrealistic?

What are some of the records your progeny have landed as a solo effort? Open season for bragging rights, folks!

SquareBear 8)

Big_unit
04-07-2005, 05:06 PM
This thread oughtta be a ripper, the bullsh!t of all bullsh!t.

Cheers
James

Needmorerum
04-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Well I'll kick it off with no Bull Sh!t.

I quite often go out on a Saturday with my two girls as the missus works most Saturdays. The girls are 8 and 6. My 6 year old, wouldn't give fishing the time of day, hence the reason I got a half cabin boat so she can sit up the front, listen to music and nibble. We're now looking at a portable DVD player for her.
My 8 year old, loves fishing. One day out over a wreck, Bindaree for those that know it, the Mack Tuna were on. I put a couple of trawl lines out and were having some success. Mind you, we don't eat them so it was a couple of them into the icebox and then just having fun from there on releasing those we got to the boat.
We hooked up to some beauties that day. And every one of them that my 8yr old tried to drag in won the battle. This is the sort of fishing that I enjoy, cause you would hate the kids to loose a good fish.
It's good to see the look on her face when she's hanging onto the rod and it gets smashed and takes off. I always run a lanyard from rod to her and then her to the back of the seat in the boat. It looks great when it gets smashed and her arms get ripped out to full extension and then she gets pulled towards the back of the boat until the lanyard from her to the seat takes up. And all she can do is yell Daaaaaad.
There is no way that she would be able to pull them in. She has pulled in some big salmon, and some just leagal Mack, but anything that puts some real strain on the rod, and she needs to hand it over.
Well it's good to share that, I hope others have the same joy as I do. All I need now is for JD (CQ_Nomad) to be able to pull a fish in that impresses me.

Corry

straddie
04-07-2005, 06:48 PM
I promised to take my 7 yo out in the little tinny during the school holidays and Friday was the only chance I had. He's a long lazy lump of a kid (not unlike his old man ;D ) and doesn't listen or follow instruction well (typical 7yo I guess ::) )

Anyways slipped into the Brisbane river, and pottered around, with the rule being whatever he hooks he has to fight and land himself. He catches the first fish on his first drop then between watching a sub and another warship come in he latches on to what I called as a flathead, while I am snapping pictures of the sub, he hauls up 19.5 cm tip to tip of sand crab, that's better than 7 and half inches in the old money.

Half an hour into fishing he has his sandy, a huge smile on his face, and a good keeper fish to my zilch and what does he say to me, "can we go home for lunch now dad" :-/

Not a fighting capture but an impressive catch especially being July, full as with 3 barnacles on him and war wound of missing a hinge claw. Actually have a camera now so,

Just_chips
05-07-2005, 01:40 AM
Yep I realy have to keep my boys occupied or they lose interest real fast, anyways best fish any of my kids have caught is a flathead at the moon point barge landing up at fraser. Caught on a Shimano rex hunt combo it pulled pretty hard and the boys had a ball catching them (got about 5 or six all up) All fish were up around 50 - 60 cm mark.

CQ_Fisher
05-07-2005, 08:53 AM
My son is still too little to take fishing (17 months) but i cant wait for the days when he is old enough.

Corry,
Your not easily impressed, one day it will have to happen, i just need to be patient. Either that or just learn how to fish properly ;D

Cheers JD

whiteman
05-07-2005, 12:11 PM
The kids get a heap of fish. I just put them over the spot and they reel them in. They need help getting them over the side but most adults need help as well. This lot is a few Fingermarks and a 1m shark at Hinchinbrook (released).

harry_h01
06-07-2005, 12:56 AM
I like to take at least one of my girls out fishing on a weekend (depending on who has been good and cleaned their rooms etc). We drop a line in the Gladstone Marina near the trawlers. We've pulled a few good fish, with the best being a 800g flathead. My 6yo was a little surprised when I she was winding the line in to check the bait when the drag went off. It was her first flathead and we dropped into the local tackle shop to get her pic taken with it.

I usually sit the youngest one down, cast out and then wind off the drag. When the reel starts screaming she goes nuts.

The other two like going, but if the fish ain't bitting then their not interested. It is interesting how close you can come to losing an eye from a rod tip being waved around cause they are bored.

Harry

Goldy16
06-07-2005, 02:08 AM
This is my grandson's 1st Tuna. He had a ball!!

gif
06-07-2005, 03:23 PM
We were staying at a canal house at Noosa. I had to go back to work for the day and left them all behind. Someone pointed out there were fish in the canal ( probably mullet So Ashley my 7 year old took the rod rigged with a plastic to the little jetty.

Ended up hooking a 68cm flathead (just legal!) and knew they cut the line when pulled up out of the water in any case it was too heavy for him. So he had the sense to get down from the jetty onto the small sandy beach and dragged it up on to the sand - then called for help.

4lb Fire line Can’t recall what leader.

Gary

basserman
06-07-2005, 03:50 PM
my son is only 2 1/2 but his almost solo first fish was a undersize flathead
he mainly love to wind in the rod like most kids but this time we cast it out for him and told him to wind in slowly like we normaly do so we get a bit of a chance to fish ourself well this time he did just that and caught theflathead kept very quite about it untill he got it boat side and said mum dad fish! LOL

once_bitten
06-07-2005, 04:05 PM
trout fishing in jindabyne (snowy mountains) november last year i bought the 3 kids a $40 spin outfit each just to keep them interested. all of them caught fish, some where kept and some where undersize, but the last fish caught for the whole week 1.82 kg brown (i admit i had to adjust the drag and hang on to the rod so as he wouldn't loose it, the rod that is) now after doing all the lifting and reeling by himself 15 or 20 mins later he landed the fish

ps he's beaten dad's record for trout

once_bitten
06-07-2005, 04:22 PM
theres nothing worse than running into a fisho that thinks "everything they know about fishing is the biggest secret to keep" and they ain't telling no-one :-X
well i say 3 cheers [smiley=thumbsup.gif][smiley=laola.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] to all the MUMS, [smiley=thumbsup.gif] DADS, [smiley=thumbsup.gif] RELOES [smiley=thumbsup.gif] and any-one else [smiley=thumbsup.gif] who is prepared to teach the next generation or this generation for that matter how to

SquareBear
06-07-2005, 04:58 PM
Brilliant posts fellas! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Nice to see some terrific photos of little fishos with big smiles!

I have a 17yo son who has discovered 'the opposite sex' and has forgotten what a bail-arm is, and an 11 month old son who never knew what a bail-arm was in the first place! ;D ::)

My 13 yo daughter, however, is avoiding 'boy germs' like the plague and is keen to chase fish whenever we get together. My three yo daughter follows her big sister like a shadow, so there is still hope yet!

SquareBear 8)