PDA

View Full Version : Boning Flathead

spook
02-07-2005, 05:40 PM
Got a couple of nice flathead up at Tincan Bay last weekend,
their on the chew up there at the moment. Filleted them but can anyone tell me how to successfully bone one, as their rib cage goes out wide because they are well, obviously Flat! and don't want to waste any flesh.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
02-07-2005, 05:59 PM
you need a very sharp knife

lay the fillet skin down and "feel" the knife blade edge under the line of protruding ribs. With the knife angle slightly into the bones, slip it along the ribs in a single slice to cut them out. Slice should move from the head end to the tail end in the direction of the ribs.

It is actually very easy & quick once you have practiced it a bit. Get a good knife - a decent but cheap Normark fillet knife from the Rapala Co. is about $20 from K-Mart & comes with a sharpener etc.

You will also need to remove the pin bones

blaze
02-07-2005, 06:55 PM
only seen it done like this once
fillet flathead until the fillet is attached by 1/2 at the tail end, flip fish so the fillet sits skin down and start to run the knife between fillet and skin, once started tear the fillet off the skin and when the fillet gets up to the stomock section (ribs) the rib bones and the small bones in the centre stay on the skin. lose a little flesh but they come away bones, rinse off in the sea and into the pan.
It dont work for me but the guy I seen doing it would do a flathead in about 15 seconds
cheers
blaze

basserman
03-07-2005, 07:58 AM
i do it sort of like how blaze has sayed but i run my knife down to the rib cageone and then when your at the last rib push the nkife right through and cut the fleash away from the backbone till the end then i just come back and run the blade between the ribs and flesh to the make it bone less and then if so inclinded you could run the blade between the flesh and skin to make it boneless and skinless ;)

frankj
03-07-2005, 08:37 AM
How about a series of photos showing the technique?
Is that possible?
I'm sure it would be well received.
Cheers
Frankj

blaze
03-07-2005, 11:20 AM
dont know about frankj, i put one up on mutton birds and that wasnt
cheers
blaze

squidgiepalmer
03-07-2005, 01:13 PM
Did a post on this not long ago here is some pics on it

squidgiepalmer
03-07-2005, 01:14 PM
and this is the way i do it Blaze said to use twizzers to getr last of bones out

squidgiepalmer
03-07-2005, 01:15 PM
all the help is good these guys know there fish
cheers squidgie

NQCairns
03-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Ahh... I see.. boning fishfillets! Nearly made a mistake in reply. I thought I was on another of my favourite sites for a minute ;D ;D :-X

spook
04-07-2005, 02:33 PM
Thank's for the advise, by the way they tasted great. Had them for tea Tonight, along with some Whiting fillets, which I still say is the nicest tasting fish in the sea! ;D

westie
07-07-2005, 02:06 PM
Well here is my 2cents worth.... :o :o Lay the fish belly down place the knife a few inches up from the tail and make a cut through to the cutting board each side of the back bone, big enough to get your finger and knife through. Now place the finger through the hole and and insert the knife, slice up to the head both sides and then cut down the side of the head both sides. now you can flip the fillets over the tail, and skin them while holding on to the frame or just slice the fillet off, then with a pair of pliers hold the skin at the tail and slide the knife up under the skin, to remove the fillet and the pin bone.

I use this way due to the fish being slippery to hold and with your finger through the fillet hole you make, there is no way you can cut yourself . ;D ;D ;D

moondancer
08-07-2005, 03:31 PM
If you catch yourself a good sized flatty, don't waste time filletting it - too much waste and hassle. Best bet is to scale& gut it, cut pocket like slits along either side of the backbone and stuff it with whatever mix you like, then bake it!
Try making a mix of chopped onions, bacon, parsley and mix with some grated chees, large dobs of butter and splash of wine - makes the best stuffing and that way the fish stays moist, tastes fantastic, and you can pick the succulent meat off the bones at the end!

Also looks cool served up on the table!

Try it!