PDA

View Full Version : Bribie Surf beach

Y-Not
09-07-2005, 05:55 AM
Having lived and fished around bribie for 30 years I have hardly ever ventured onto the surf beach to fish. When I have it has been for bream and whiting. ::) I was just wondering what the Tailor fishing is like and and how far up the beach you need to travel before suitable gutters start to appear. ???
(Can't recall many at the southern end) If you dont want the whole world to know your secrets just send me a PM instead ;) :-X ;) :-X ;) :-X

tshort
09-07-2005, 06:54 AM
Let me know what you find out Y-not. Used to go camping up along the beach, as good a spot as any for beach camping but never had much luck in the surf. Used to see a few fishing right up near the trafficable limits but never saw much being pulled in.

Mick
09-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Y not, it depends on the direction of the swell. As you may know, Moreton blocks most of the swell that would otherwise hit woorim. Most of our swell comes out of the south east which is geographicaly where Moreton Island is from Bribie. When there is a few weeks of east swell the northern tip of Bribie is more exposed to swell and gutters start to form from the crashing waves and subsequent currents pushing and pulling sand.
For example, if a big and constant north east swell hit south east QLD, Bribie could well have the same size waves as the sunshine or gold coast as Moreton does not lie to the north east of Bribie and therefore Bribie would be exposed to the swell (happens but not often).
I used to windsurf from Golden Beach, Caloundra over to Bribie to check the surf on the northern tip of Bribie. I have surfed good waves here on the right day and hence, gutters and an 'outer' sand bank has formed from the swell.
So, to answer your question, keep an eye on swell directions. The more east and north in the swell, the better chance of some gutters and deep holes forming. Hope this helps.

Mick

Just_chips
09-07-2005, 01:25 PM
I've always had better luck fishing for tailor on the bottom end of the island around skirmish point. Only prob is leaving your car in that bush car park that harbours all sorts of thieves and lowlives. Therefore I tend to drive up the beach park at the base of the foredunes and catch buggerall, but when I turn and look at my car none of my windows have been smashed by some cretin looking for loose change. ???

take_me_fishen
10-07-2005, 06:59 PM
ask fishinmishin bout the beach he sore it close up!!! ;D :-X