PDA

View Full Version : Yet another what fish is this post!

bidkev
10-07-2005, 06:01 AM
Thought this was a mother-in-law but have never noticed the 6 black spots at the caudal before? Lucky I did because the rear two have scalpel blades just as the surgeon fish do. Could easily have taken a finger tip off.

Can't find anything bearing a resemblance in Grants and the scalpels are not mentioned in relation to morwong species. It's definately omniverous as it was full of eel grass despite taking squid.

cheers

kev

Scott15
10-07-2005, 06:03 AM
did u eat it?

bidkev
10-07-2005, 06:25 AM
did u eat it?

Not yet, but it's filleted....very firm clean white flesh. If it's a M-I-L, then the deckie gets a feast. If it's not, then I finally get to chew on something vaguely resembling food :-)

cheers

kev

agnes_jack
10-07-2005, 06:28 AM
Kingtin
Looks like a "sixplate sawtail"---Prionurus microlepidotus
feeds on benthic algae.

Regards, Tony ;)

bidkev
10-07-2005, 07:59 AM
Kingtin
Looks like a "sixplate sawtail"---Prionurus microlepidotus
feeds on benthic algae.

Regards, Tony ;)

Cheers Tony, That sounds/looks like the one.

I found this via a google, "The tail scutes are scalpel sharp which is , I imagine , where their name came from and the flesh is pearl white and delicious."

Looks like I get a feed at last :-)

cheers

kev

bidkev
11-07-2005, 08:54 AM
did u eat it?

Have now. It was yummy :-)

PS The deckie didn't like it :o ;D

cheers

kev

devocean
12-07-2005, 01:57 PM
The fish is of the surgeon variety. You can tell by the tail spikes and mouth. Closely related to unicorn fish. Alsop related tothe tang family. Nice aquaium fish see alot diving and are oftenb found aroundmother in law fish. Never eaten one. Hve seen them bigger than that one though.