PDA

View Full Version : Barra in Winter

devocean
12-07-2005, 02:24 PM
In the last 2 weeks I have heard reports of good barra being landed quite frequently from Peter Faust as well as saltwater creeks in my area. They seem to have come on the bite with the cool snap we had. I was always under the impression that this was the hardest time of the year to catch em? Anyone got any ideas?

warrior
12-07-2005, 03:51 PM
head into proserpine bait and tackle,lindsay dobe is the owner and local guide and great fella to boot,i travel up there each year and he doesnt have any dramas putting you onto fish and telling you what is working.cheers..

Jim_Tait
12-07-2005, 05:41 PM
I had a great session on wild freshwater barra last monday morning - but went fishing after recognising that it was a really warm (& overcast) July evening - I'va always found barra can be caught through winter following a couple of approaches:

One is to spot a warm break in the middle of a cool winter period (I've has a couple of great mid july sessions over the years) - they come on the chew after being dormant for a while,

The other is to look for warm spots especially shallows, sand bar drop offs, water flowing over shallow rocks, shallow bays (thse work good in impoundments) - anywhere it gets a few degrees warmer - they're often parked, catching a few rays and anything else that bumps into them.

That's another winter barra trick - get the lure right into their face - we used to fish deep lures around rock islands in the freshwaters of the Burdekin years ago during winter and would use unusually deep lures, worked slowly and would keep putting them back in the strike zone until you annoyed them into hitting - worked well as well!

Regards - Jim

Fishin_Dan
13-07-2005, 02:30 AM
I'm hoping to find out in the next few days devocean! I'm up near Callide Dam, and don't want to miss out on a good opportunity!!!

Awoonga
13-07-2005, 09:03 AM
They are on the chew at Awoonga at the moment SPs seem to be the G. O. but you have to get it in there face ..they wont come on out to get it....Water temp has been as low as 18c and l have been getting them ..You have just got to look outside the box. There was a time when people said the you only catch Barra in the morning/ afternoon ...not so or when the moon is right... Black days....Barra have to eat just like we do. Sometimes we feel like eating other times we dont :-*.But if you tempted me with a little snack and l didnt have to go far to get it l most likely would eat it ;D

S.S.
14-07-2005, 05:45 AM
Mate caught 2 over a metre on the weekend the b**tard!!!! Dropped another couple up at Awoonga. If only I had the time to drive north!!!

Fishin_Dan
14-07-2005, 07:03 AM
How far is Awoonga from Biloela? I think it's between here and Gladstone isn't it? Maybe I should try and wrangle my way to there if possible...

Awoonga
14-07-2005, 09:25 AM
Mate its 100k and yes the fish are still on the chew send me a pm with your ph number

Fishin_Dan
14-07-2005, 04:54 PM
Thanks for taking the time to talk to me Awoonga. Unfortunately, doesn't look like I can get things organised to meet up with you, but I will make sure I can get back up this way for work again! (Anyone own a business in Gladstone and want to buy our software???!!!) ;D

Went and spoke to the owner at Creek to Coast again today. Nothing been happening at Callide at all for the last few weeks. He hasn't heard anything from Awoonga or Cania for a few weeks, so didn't know much about them. He's also trying to work out ways for me to come back up when it's warmer.... ::)